May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Karl Graebner, SKB, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 237 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,331
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Little Creek
A coach gun!

Most people dont start with a gun worth 3-4 large to build a coach gun.

Best,
Ted

On the other hand, if you start with a 26" barrel set and want the versatility of screw-in chokes, you're stuck with cutting off two inches of barrel length to install the screw-ins.

I can't comment on the resulting balance of what this guy did, but the 24" barrels don't automatically disqualify the gun for close up shooting in my experience. I used to shoot a 311 riot/police gun with 24" barrels and open choke. With the tighter shooting steel I killed a lot of long distance ducks with it too...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Looks like a hell of a deal compared to this --

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101475979

Oh the horror!!

Speaking of horrors......It's not up for sale so I can't link to it but how about a Lindner Daly Diamond Quality model 275 10 gauge with 22" barrels.

It has, IMHO, better wood and more finely done engraving than the one CJO recently restored. And someone thought it was a good idea to cut 8" or 10" inches off those barrels!!!!

Last edited by canvasback; 07/12/20 03:28 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
On the other hand, if you start with a 26" barrel set and want the versatility of screw-in chokes, you're stuck with cutting off two inches of barrel length to install the screw-ins.

Why would you need to cut the barrels to install screw-ins?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

Why would you need to cut the barrels to install screw-ins?

It maybe the tubes were already cut and putting tubes into it made it shootable?

I have never been able to effectively shoot barrels that short, but have had great success with 27 inch barrels and the one 26 inch gun have.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/12/20 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no need to cut barrels back to install screw-in choke tubes. The basic requirement that determines whether the procedure can be done on a barrel is the wall thickness at the muzzle. Some are just struck too thin, even for Briley thin walls. And, I have seen some that Briley did that I would not want for myself. After boring, and threading, the barrels were so thin in the choke tube area that I'm sure you could have bent them between your thumb and forefinger. A bump on a hard object, with the choke tube removed, would be disastrous. You could actually see the thread pattern on the outside of the barrel.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Speaking of horrors......It's not up for sale so I can't link to it but how about a Lindner Daly Diamond Quality model 275 10 gauge with 22" barrels.

At one of the Vintage Cups at Sandanona we saw and handled an Ithaca Flues Model 10-gauge with factory righteous 22-inch barrels. I don't remember exactly but it included the hang-tag or a letter from Walter, maybe both.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I'm reluctant to say that 26" bbl.'s were the norm for double guns of the O/U persuation being used for skeet until the mid 70's, they were not uncommon. And while they have fallen out of favor today, they only await some modern Churchill to come along advocationg short bbl.'s to have a new following. I've never found them disadvantagous for low gun skeet, upland game behind a dog or snap shooting dove. Just saying.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The main complaint with the Miroku produced for Browning BSS sidelock is that most were 26 tube guns. I almost fell down when I saw one that had been cut to 24. Yes, there is at least one guy here who thinks that is OK, but, he hasnt bought the gun, either, and likely will not.
I have a few guns that are 26. Some longer, out to 28 and a couple 25. Im not buying a double with 24 tubes, and I bet most guys wont.
George Caswell offered me a Purdey many years ago that had been built for a grouse hunter with 22 tubes, and slim and none chokes. He had all the paperwork to document that, as well. I suppose I would have got a grouse or two with it, and one day I would have been buried with it, too.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

sadly, many bss guns have been cut down for cowboy action shooting...

i try not to sell bss guns to cba shooters...

Last edited by ed good; 07/13/20 05:07 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't go wrong with a nice gun like that! Your choice of chokes makes it an all around upland gun and that includes roosters and sharpies.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 07/13/20 05:46 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.