April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
13 members (David Williamson, Birdog, dearmer, graybeardtmm3, 3 invisible), 257 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,036
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just saw this Bonehill boxlock for sale at auction (morphy).

For the life of me I can't figure out what "L" and "D" indicators would mean. Figured that certainly someone here would know.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cocking indicators

Total guess: Locked & Discharged

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That seems like a good guess.

Jim
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Bonehill just like that. I agree with Bsteele.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it a single selectable trigger?
If so then might be Levo and dextro. (Organic chemistry was not wasted on me.) Sort of Latin for to the left and to the right.

Edit: should have paid more attention to the "double trigger" in title.

Last edited by JBLondon; 07/19/20 09:12 AM.
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

MMmmm ? Then what is the little button near the L ?

My Simson Suhl DR has such buttons/pins on each side of the action and they indicate whether the action/hammers are cocked or fired.
Simson saw no need for a labelled pointer -- just pin in or pin out.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Simson Suhl DR has such buttons/pins on each side of the action and they indicate whether the action/hammers are cocked or fired.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: crs

That little "button" near the L is the axle pin for the triggers.

I agree that this a a cocking indicator on the hammer axle pin that points to L for locked (cocked in modern terminology) and D for discharged.

Cocking indicators long ago went away on box lock guns but were retained on many side lock guns in the form of a mark on the hammer axle such as an engraved arrow, gold line (my AyA's), raised ridge (my wife's Grulla) or similar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: crs

Hmm, am quite familiar with cocking indicators but (as with your Simson) not with the D and L nomenclature. I was throwing out an idea in case left and right made any sense. Not so, obviously, if the other side of the action has the same device. Organic chemistry study may have been a waste after-all.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
[quote=crs]

That little "button" near the L is the axle pin for the triggers.

Not to be picky the that would be the sear pin, the trigger pin is located farther to the rear.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.