April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (montenegrin, SKB, playing hooky), 455 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks
Awesome dove decoys and obviously effective.
I have some old mason Blue bills I display in my book case that my father in law gave me. He found 10 rigged in a burlap bag at his fathers house. I kept 2 of the best and gave the rest to my wifes siblings since they were family items. I would never hunt those 2.

I hope none of these old gunning decoys werent collectors items, they were very inexpensive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a couple of photos of my dad out hunting on the Delta Marsh over some of the decoys he and I carved. I think he was around 80 then. He is 91 now but no longer hunting. He did though up until he was 88.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 07/21/20 09:14 AM.
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Very nice! Dekes look awesome

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still kick myself for not buying a pintail decoy from Cigar Daisey but back then. $300.00 seemed like the world. Worse I later found out that was for a pair not just one. Still, $300 back then was as big as a few grand is today, maybe more then. Oh to be young and poor(er) again.

Honestly, modern factory plastic decoys are ultra realistic and better than hand carved in many ways. Not so much in rough water perhaps but I no longer hunt in rough water. I still admire the talent to carve a Block of word into anything that can fool a Black Duck. I can think of no higher proof of carving skill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice story about the Ward brother decoys KY Jon. I used to listen to stories from my dad and an older uncle (both deceased) hunting over wooden decoys, with the uncle telling stories about hunting with wood decoys and live English calling ducks.

Would have been fun to experience that!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read a couple good accounts of the Armistice Day Storm of 1940. Both my parent remembered it as we live near the Mississippi River. More than one party survived the night by burning their decoys.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've yet to see a shotgun photo on this site of a shotgun that has sold at auction for as much as some old gunning decoys sell at auction. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's what's left of my first decoy rig. Somehow none of the drakes remain. I carved these through the summer when I was 15 then shot over them that fall. Some were painted by my brother who would have been 10, so that's 43 years ago. Kind of dodgy-looking but we had no experience, patterns, or even electricity. We did have live models though because we fed wild mallards through the summer. The dekes worked well and it was pretty satisfying hunting over them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted over a few reconditioned wood decoys, but never have had a full rig of them. One sunk.

Taking valuable antique duck decoys hunting is about like using a Cadillac Escalade for a woods truck. Too much depreciation...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father being the pragmatic type, gave away a couple of dozen carved wooden decoys when plastic or rubber decoys came into vogue. I couldn't tell you who carved them, but I remember them laying around collecting dust, unless us kids were playing with them for some reason and cleaned the dust off them. As was his MO, he also had 3-4 WW 1 era McClellan saddles he gave away, that "took up too much space and weren't needed or used."

Cameron Hughes
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.