May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (R Reynolds, Jtplumb, Marks_21, eeb, buckstix, canvasback), 1,019 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,532
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Properly executed flat top checkering can be quite functional. Typically it is fewer lines per inch that are .020" wide and about that deep. The issue in the States is tools have to be hand made as none are commercially available. As Steve said nobody here likes to do it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Flat top checkering is nothing but decoration. Pointed, conventional checkering helps with grip, and on a competition gun it would be much better for helping you hold onto a gun when you have sweaty, slippery hands. That was the original intent of checkering.
JR

I'm in agreement with John. I want my hands to be "locked in" on my target shotguns so I prefer fairly aggressive pointed checkering. I've never rubbed my hands raw and I suspect I shoot as much or more than most. Non checkered stocks are fine for my bench type target rifles...not my shot guns.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never did a flat top checkering stock. Touched up a few and was careful not to convert them to pointed top be accident. I once made a fore end for a 1100 with pointed checkering that was 28 lines per inch. Felt great. Was a absolute nightmare to do. Swore then, and have kept that vow, to never do another one again that fine. Worse was the pattern covered the entire fore end, with only the flats on the top of the fore end not checkered. About three times the normal pattern because this was an over sized for end. Remember seeing a Sauer double which have 32 line per inch checkering and know that must have been even worse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Checkering serves no useful purpose on target guns and just chews your hands up.

Bullshat. I've shot over over 1300 rounds a day for four straight days with a sharply pointed checkered grip and forend with not even a hint of hand damage. What a wuss.

Checkering most certainly does serve a purpose. I wouldn't shoot a comp gun without something to increase my grip ......... checkering is the best combination of function and looks.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Never did a flat top checkering stock. Touched up a few and was careful not to convert them to pointed top be accident. I once made a fore end for a 1100 with pointed checkering that was 28 lines per inch. Felt great. Was a absolute nightmare to do. Swore then, and have kept that vow, to never do another one again that fine. Worse was the pattern covered the entire fore end, with only the flats on the top of the fore end not checkered. About three times the normal pattern because this was an over sized for end. Remember seeing a Sauer double which have 32 line per inch checkering and know that must have been even worse.

I have a gun, a MF Ideal that the original chequering was over 32 LPI. By my count it was 36 LPI. But it gets so damn small it's hard to count. When I had it refinished we switched it to 28 LPI. Once you get into the 30s there is no enhanced grip and it wears away too fast.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Checkering serves no useful purpose on target guns and just chews your hands up.

Bullshat. I've shot over over 1300 rounds a day for four straight days with a sharply pointed checkered grip and forend with not even a hint of hand damage. What a wuss.

Checkering most certainly does serve a purpose. I wouldn't shoot a comp gun without something to increase my grip ......... checkering is the best combination of function and looks.

SRH

I'm the wuss and you can't hold on to a shotgun without something to increase your grip?

Funny how Remington sold millions of guns with their stupid pressed in inverse 'checkering' and nobody seemed to be dropping them all over the trap and skeet fields.

I have a callous (acceptable alternate spelling that I've grown fond of since I learned buzz dislikes it) at the base of my middle finger from my trap gun. It's from the checkering. I'd be happy if the gun had no checkering at all.

This is a discussion board and there's no right or wrong, but if I was going to spec out a grip it would be smooth and have finger grooves. It would have a very full pistol grip like a Perazzi.

The key to decent target shooting is doing everything the same way each time, and what could be better than a grip that actually fit your hand and came up exactly the same way each time?

If you have your fingers wrapped around a grip like that there's certainly no need for a non slip coating.

Would that look like hell? Maybe. But the 100/100 would look better.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew who I was calling a wuss. I can read. Anyone, you or otherwise, who can't shoot a few hundred rounds in a day with a gun that has pointed up checkering without it chewing up your hands is a wuss. If you're not, find a better argument to support your dislike of checkering.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon

It would be great to see some pictures of those checkering jobs you did! Thanks in advance. whistle

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz, I'm responding to your questions by offering my own experience and opinions. First of all do what you want it's your gun! That said I believe that certain styles of checkering look best on certain firearms and to that end here are two photos that I took this morning. The first is my personal hunting rifle, a Fraser single shot that I love.

The next photo is from a SC gun that I'm checkering. I use this pattern with quite a few modifications for a client. I checker 2-3 guns a month using this style or something very similar.

I have done two guns using flat top checkering and I found it to be difficult because there is NO room for errors. I modified two checkering tips to do the jobs correctly, at least my view of correct. Yes,It's a bugger! I also believe that flat top checkering looks wrong if done finer than 20lpi and thats probably to fine IMO.

Pointed checkering has far more grip-ability, again IMO, but the main reason that I checker guns is because I think they look better. Again IMO!

I hope this helps.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

We're all used to checkering on fine guns so we favor it. However beautiful wood is beautiful in itself, so why obscure it with a checkering pattern. Personally I have no problem shooting a smooth grip...Geo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.