April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Parabola), 180 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,704
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
#5764 10/15/06 12:28 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

TW:
“about those tails that Mr. Leopold is wearing ?”

Leopold and friends spent a lot of time using their rifles on the woodchuck and I would suspect, but don’t know for sure they are woodchuck tails.

“and the rear elevator/height adjustor for the scope I can easily understand, but how did the front mount pivot? Do you know?”

One of the best scope makers of the day was John W. Sidle and I believe the scope on his rifle is a Sidle. There was a “Leopold Snap Shot” scope made by Sidle named for him so that may be what that one is. There were a lot of mounts back then and Sidle did make a figure “8” front but the one in the picture looks like wire or rubber bands , not something I have seen before.

”and the cartridge the Borchardt is chambered for? Were you lucky enough to get the cartridge or was Dr. Baker using more than one as it would appear his counterparts were. Is that a cartridge bag he is carrying?”

Most likely a cartridge bag he has as all the others seem to be loaded down with ammo. Every year they went to New York to shoot Woodchucks.
The rifle is chambered for the .25-Niedner known today as the .25 Krag, a 30-40 Krag necked down to .25 caliber.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

#5765 10/15/06 12:55 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

#5766 10/15/06 05:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Super post; a little OT, but I have a stinkin' suspicion that more than a few of us double enthusiasts are also SS nuts... I'm always bemused that this area (Eastern NY state and adjacent Vermont) were such a hotbed of rifle experimenters and theorists back at the beginning of the last century. That all seemed to have moved West by the 2nd world war, following the defense industries. But I still shoot chucks up by Shushan at least once a summer, with a .22 Hornet that would have been a familiar ctg to these guys (in a Win SS or a Ruger #1).

Michael, is your .25 Neidner/.25 Krag the short version or the full length? Not just a varmint ctg. either; good as a .257 with right bullets! Lovely rifle!

#5767 10/15/06 06:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

“Super post; a little OT”

Mike, Thanks, Yes it is, however as a young lad A.O. Niedner was allowed to shoot William R. Schaefer’s (the celebrated double gunmaker of Boston) muzzleloading rifle and that was how he first got interested in firearms. There are very few places on the web to discuss historical rifles so I would hope that we could now and then touch on the subject. Even the DGJ is now the DG&SSJ.

All four lived in the Boston area, shot at the famous Walnut Hill Club and traveled to Shushan to shoot woodchucks at least once a year. Dr. Baker had a ‘Woodchuck Reserve” that he spent a lot of time at.

”Michael, is your .25 Neidner/.25 Krag the short version or the full length?”

This rifle was modified by Niedner in 1911 and it uses the full length 30-40 case which was pretty much standardized by then. I have one of Mr. Niedner’s rifles (model 1911) and it’s chambered for the same cartridge. I had a Winchester High-Wall that belonged to Dr. Mann for a 1909 version of the cartridge, the case acted like a breech seater and the outside diameter of the case was .257”. It also has a set of Mann-Niedner bases soldered to the barrel, I still have the barrel but used the high-wall for a different project.

The picture of Leopold with the tails, the rifle he has looks like it’s chambered for the .28-30-.22 Niedner or .28-30-.23 Niedner but have not idea which, Niedner made both.

#5768 10/15/06 07:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What an interesting rifle that Borchardt is! It looks like he extended the striker back through the end of the block like a bolt rifle. I wonder what he had in mind there? To be able to cock the rifle with after the breech is closed? Adding all that mass to the striker seems a high price to pay for whatever intended benefit.

I would really like to examine the double set trigger as well.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
#5769 10/15/06 09:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Fewless:
WhI would really like to examine the double set trigger as well...
Glenn
Wouldn't we all. Then we would pay you vast sums to install them in our Borchardts.....

(exactly zero sarcasm there. A bunch of us would kill for those triggers).

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

#5770 10/15/06 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I want a picture of myself and hunting partners that rivals the group photo Michael posted, damn, those guy look good!

Somehow neither camo, nor tweeds look as manly.

Michael, thanks for the pictures and info. I second the recommendation of Michaels latest book.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
#5771 10/15/06 10:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Fewless:
What an interesting rifle that Borchardt is! It looks like he extended the striker back through the end of the block like a bolt rifle. I wonder what he had in mind there? To be able to cock the rifle with after the breech is closed? Adding all that mass to the striker seems a high price to pay for whatever intended benefit.

I would really like to examine the double set trigger as well.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Glenn
Niedner removed the cocking cams from the Borchardt and made a new breechblock. In order to install the double-set-triggers the safety had to be removed. This is fine on a target rifle but not one used in the field. It’s a little hard to explain but the firing pin is inside of the striker and very light weight, I have no way to measure the lock time but it is very FAST and safe to carry with a loaded chamber. For the work on this rifle Niedner (from Niedner’s Malden, MA shop books) charged Dr. Baker $108.50.

It’s been a while since the last time I had this rifle apart. I wrote this back in 1993 about the rifle.

‘When the lever is lowered a cam on the lever retracts the firing pin a short distance from the fired primer; after the action is closed, the cocking knob must be pulled back before it can be fired. The cocking piece that holds the firing pin is hollow and weighs less than half of the original Borchardt firing pin, resulting in a very fast lock time.”

#5772 10/15/06 11:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mp are those turkey beards around his neck ?
What do you suppose that is stuck in his belt in the top picture ?

#5773 10/15/06 11:07 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by HomelessjOe:
Mp are those turkey beards around his neck ?
What do you suppose that is stuck in his belt in the top picture ?
I assumed they were woodchuck tails but have no way to know for sure.

What do you suppose that is stuck in his belt in the top picture ? The same thing that’s in Dr. Mann’s hand a Niedner-Shooting stick. As time allows I will post pictures to better explain them.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.