Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#577009 08/05/20 07:15 AM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Since many gun shows have been cancelled, I thought it would be fun to create a virtual gun show. Please feel free to add images of rifles that would be of interest on this forum. To kick things off, Dan has sent me images of his left-handed Hoffman.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More pictures

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Did Hoffman do the left hand conversion or did they build that rifle around a converted action sourced from another?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #577042 08/05/20 02:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoffman did make the LH conversions and I believe others may have also used this patented conversion. This particular rifle was the last one numbered in Cleveland as #226 was marked Ardmore, OK.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thank You, lovely rifle and like most Hoffmans I have seen it has wonderful lines.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see the TG photo isn't very clear so I have sent Fred a couple better ones to post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Wright-stocked rifle I got recently and whose catalog photos were posted here has no Hoffman markings but does have identical front sight and barrel-mounted sling base. No doubt Wright had access to some Hoffman fittings. Both have Kornbrath engraving. It would be helpful to know how Wright's Hoffman work transitioned into his work on his own.

Bill Ferguson
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the better pictures of the floorplate and trigger guard that Dan promised

Sidelock
Sidelock

How can I insert a photo directly rather than posting a link to an outside photo hosting site?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boltman
How can I insert a photo directly rather than posting a link to an outside photo hosting site?

The easy answer is you cannot. This is a fairly primitive and outdated website that does not host photos directly, but relies entirely on third party sites.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent - thanks for the clarification. At least I know.

However, I notice some poster's images appear within their post. Yet, I post a link that must be clicked on. I find the former preferable. I use Imgur as an outside photo hosting site. Perhaps Imgur isn't set up for this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred just provided me with some tutorial information. Here goes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bullard?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Bullard?

Yes, you have a good eye. There's lots of gun guys out there who have never heard of a Bullard. Over the years, I have talked with countless gun guys who, when the topic of a Bullard comes up, have corrected me and suggested I was mistaken, "Oh, you mean Ballard." This one is a .45-70 (or .45-85 Bullard). It is marked Cal. 45 and the case of the .45-70 and the .45-85 are the same.
The Bullard's are interesting as they are bottom loading and the action must be open to load the rifle.
This one is in very high condition with a mint bore.
I've taken it to the range several times.
Probably the most remarkable thing about the Bullard is the smooth as glass action. In my opinion, the action most closely resembles the modern Browning BLR rifle with it's rack and pinion action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the Bullard lever rifle pictures Boltman. Smooth as glass is an amazing thing to experience on a hundred thirty year old rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

However, I notice some poster's images appear within their post. Yet, I post a link that must be clicked on. I find the former preferable. I use Imgur as an outside photo hosting site. Perhaps Imgur isn't set up for this?

I miss understood your question. My apologies for that.

I also use imgur for posting photos here.

1. Start a message here.
2. In a new tab, click on the photo I'm imgur that you wish to display.
3. On the right hand side there will be a list of different way to refer to that photo. Just above the bottom of that list will be one that begins as [img].... click on the copy button next to this.
4. return to the tab with the post you are creating.
5. Move the cursor down to where you want the photo to appear.
6. Right click and choose paste.
The code for the photo, but not the photo itself should appear.
7. Finish the post you are creating and click submit.

This will almost always work. But there is one instance in which imgur will fail. If that happens, leave your post up as it is and I will show you how to fix it. I'm using a phone and it is sort of a pain to type a lengthy description of it.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Fred and Brent for the photo instruction. Also, thanks for the comments on the Bullard. I love this topic! I think it is sorely needed given the cancellation of gun shows. Looking at the initial photos on this thread, I am reminded I need to take some photos of my Ross left-hand conversion done by Woodward on an M-10.

Here is my .375 H&H Magnum built on a military Mauser action. Jeffery style stock. One of the aspects I like about this rifle was the meticulous action work that was done to make it fit and feed the .375 H&H cases like butter. Dennis Olson out of Montana did the action work many years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
The Wright-stocked rifle I got recently and whose catalog photos were posted here has no Hoffman markings but does have identical front sight and barrel-mounted sling base. No doubt Wright had access to some Hoffman fittings. Both have Kornbrath engraving. It would be helpful to know how Wright's Hoffman work transitioned into his work on his own.

John Wright worked for Hoffman Arms in Cleveland.

Shane Robinson
Joplin, MO
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you use Imgur, it's even easier to insert a link than most other sites, and it is set up to do so. Simply open your account at Imgur, and then click on the image you want to post. On the right side you'll see various image links. Choose the "BBCode" one. Go down to the bottom and click on the "size chart". I usually use "medium" or "large". Then once you click the size then click on the "copy" by BBCode.
Now come to the site and make your usual post. When you want to insert the picture just hold your "ctrl" key down, while you tap the "v" key, and the image link will insert into your post.
It's that simple. You can keep the Imgur tab open while you're posting, and go back and capture as many images as you want to insert.

This is the "large" size image:

And the "medium":

Last edited by Vall; 08/06/20 07:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, is that a cast action? What caliber?

_________

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Speaking of Hoffman Arms, I found this on youtube today

Hoffman Arms 1903

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred -

That's quite the Hoffman. Very impressive.

Vall - thanks for the additional photo instructions. It struck me as a bit complicated but I'm sure I'll get it. By the way, that's a very nice rifle you posted. I've never owned a Ballard. But... close - many Bullards wink

I recall we share an interest in Marlins.

Last edited by Boltman; 08/06/20 08:49 PM. Reason: had a recollection
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to a post I made in 2009 showing my nearly new condition Ross E-10. I can say it still looks the same so no point taking new photos of it. As I looked through that thread it brought back pleasant memories. Michael Petrov, Mark Benenson... I sure miss those guys. I'm sure many here still feel their loss. Mark Benenson and I had a connection through Savage 1899's. Reading their comments made me feel, for a moment, like they were still around.

Edit: let me add that even a John Amber multi-prize winner made a rare appearance in this thread. Fortunately for all of us, he remains extant.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=145361&page=1

Last edited by Boltman; 08/07/20 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot something important
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred -

That's quite the Hoffman. Very impressive.

Vall - thanks for the additional photo instructions. It struck me as a bit complicated but I'm sure I'll get it. By the way, that's a very nice rifle you posted. I've never owned a Ballard. But... close - many Bullards wink

I recall we share an interest in Marlins.

Maybe my description made it sound complicated? It's just 3 clicks. One in the image, one on the size, and one on the BCCode. Then just bring it here and insert it using "ctrl" and "v" keys.

Yes, we do share an interest in Marlins. But I've sold off well over 100 pre WWI era Marlin lever actions when my interests began slanting more towards Marlin Ballard rifles. The picture I posted is of my Rigby Ballard in .40-63 Everlasting. Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, again, that is a beautiful Rigby Ballard. But, it must have been very painful to let go of so many old Marlins. I know you had some very nice (and rare) pieces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, again, that is a beautiful Rigby Ballard. But, it must have been very painful to let go of so many old Marlins. I know you had some very nice (and rare) pieces.

Yes, some of them were extremely hard to let go, but only a few I still regret. I should have kept the gorgeous deluxe, factory engraved 1893, and the 1891, and 1892 deluxe '32's. All three were minty guns, and I regret letting them go. Some others were extremely rare, like my 1894 takedown half carbine (receiver back) and half octagon, half round, rifle (front half). But I do still have my 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues custom, and a handful of others I couldn't part with.
Ballard fever is worse than covid 19! It seems to remove all remnants of common sense, and takes over your gun room, and safes! But I don't regret the Ballard rifles that came because of the fever and sales!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, are you collecting factory originals only or some of the custom guns too?

Some of the most amazing custom rifles that I have seen were Ballard schuetzen or other competition rifles.

_________

Vall #577238 08/07/20 09:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall

Yes, some of them were extremely hard to let go, but only a few I still regret. I should have kept the gorgeous deluxe, factory engraved 1893, and the 1891, and 1892 deluxe '32's. All three were minty guns, and I regret letting them go. Some others were extremely rare, like my 1894 takedown half carbine (receiver back) and half octagon, half round, rifle (front half). But I do still have my 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues custom, and a handful of others I couldn't part with.
Ballard fever is worse than covid 19! It seems to remove all remnants of common sense, and takes over your gun room, and safes! But I don't regret the Ballard rifles that came because of the fever and sales!

Yes, some lovely pieces you had. Was the M1894 half carbine in .25/20?

Vall #577242 08/07/20 09:17 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My dad loved trap shooting, we lived pretty poor growing up, but he retired with a lot of disposable income and bought an Emil Flues single barrel trap gun, it passed on to my brother when my dad died. I would love to see pictures of our 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues Custom.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Vall, are you collecting factory originals only or some of the custom guns too?

Some of the most amazing custom rifles that I have seen were Ballard schuetzen or other competition rifles.

My main interest is Ballard schuetzen rifles, and especially those by custom barrel, or gun makers. Most of my single shots are factory originals, but I have a fair number of Schoyen, Pope, Zettler Bros., AW Peterson, etc. also. They are my favorites, but often are more expensive than originals in equal condition. So have to budget for what I can afford when the opportunity knocks, and hope I can swing another when it does. But I really try to steer clear of originals lately. Only one original I'd like to own still, and that's a #7 A-1 Extra Long Range, which will cost dearly if I find one. I have an early #7 Long Range that's before they began the factory engraved A-1 Extras, but the engraved A-1 is on my bucket list still.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
[quote=Vall][quote=Boltman] I would love to see pictures of our 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues Custom.

The Emil FLues 1881 is somewhat OT here, but here's a picture of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a couple others from my collection.

Schoyen Ballard .32-40

AW Peterson Ballard in .22LR

HM Pope 3 barrel set in .32-40, .28-35 Pope, and .22 WCF. With Pope's patented takedown system.

Zettler Bros. Ballard #6 Schuetzen in .22 Short

Cody Schoyen model Ballard in .22LR Badger barrel.

Factory engraved Ballard #8 in .40-65 Ballard.

Custom Rolling Block Sporting rifle in .40-65 Win.

Custom #4 Rolling Block in 3 barrels, .22 Short, .22 LR, and .22 LR.

Pope Ballard in .32-40

[img]https://i.imgur.com/p8zvJhWl.jpg[/img]

Schoyen Ballard #6 Schuetzen, early German style heavy buttplate.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PZZebXFl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2HZG933l.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8ILS0QMl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1X3P1zel.jpg?1[/img]

Ballard 3F Fine Gallery

[img]https://i.imgur.com/uSgkl85l.jpg?1[/img]

Ballard 4 1/2 A-1 Mid-Range rifle in .40-63 Everlasting.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/AApz3yvl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/1N2bZOil.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/K7AdD7dl.jpg[/img]

The previously posted Rigby in .40-63 Everlasting.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KUHSMP5l.jpg[/img]

Another #4 Rolling Block in .22 Long engraved takedown.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/GbSblsjl.jpg[/img]

Rolling Block Sporter Mid-Range in .40-50SS, with 34" Creedmoor barrel.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/xONwkUnl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5B3lyXJl.jpg[/img]

Enough for now.

Last edited by Vall; 08/08/20 12:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely beautiful collection Vall! Stunning. And of course, you know I love that M1881 Marlin. This sure all makes for a great day at our gunshow today. By the way, that Marlin half SRC - what caliber?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely beautiful collection Vall! Stunning. And of course, you know I love that M1881 Marlin. This sure all makes for a great day at our gunshow today. By the way, that Marlin half SRC - what caliber?

The half carbine, half rifle takedown was a .25-20 caliber. I had the chance to buy a 1893 rifle in the same configuration a year or so after I found this 1894, and passed on it because I didn't want to take money out of savings to buy it. I regretted that choice for a long time, until I sold the 1894.
I picked up this 1894 deluxe a couple years ago as an investment to resell. Someone had blued the receiver, and I planned to strip it and send the receiver out to be color cased. But when I use naval jelly to strip the bluing, I found remains of the original case color under it! So I just screwed the barrel back on it, and reassembled it. Another .25-20, with Lyman windage front sight, and Ballard vernier midrange rear!

Under the hot bluing:

Last edited by Vall; 08/08/20 06:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The .25-20 you refer to is still with me. I also bought the M1893 your refer to. It was a .25-36. It was neat to have the pair of them. Neat they were both in .25 caliber as well. However, I was never completely happy with the M1893 as the buttstock was off a different gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall - that is a nice-looking Marlin .25-20. I do recall the details of this one. Cool that you were able to simply remove the added blue from the receiver and didn't need to have it redone. It kind of reminds me of a Winchester M1892 .25-20 I have here:

I realize we are a bit off topic here, but hey, it is a gunshow smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

The .25-20 you refer to is still with me. I also bought the M1893 your refer to. It was a .25-36. It was neat to have the pair of them. Neat they were both in .25 caliber as well. However, I was never completely happy with the M1893 as the buttstock was off a different gun.

Minor issue since the receiver did have a saddle ring, the fact the serial number didn't match didn't bother me a bit. With a saddle ring, and a carbine buttstock and buttplate I was fine with it. Had it had a crescent butt, and a saddle ring on the receiver I'd be bothered.

I was surprised the 1894 above wasn't polished out before they hot blued the receiver. But happy too. I think whoever blued it had no idea what they were doing. They just disassembled the receiver and dropped everything into their bluing tank....thank goodness! Never stripped a Marlin receiver before and found case colors.
The Schoyen Ballard in the green lined Hereford hide case was all hot blued when I found it. I stripped it also, and sent parts off to Al Springer who color cased it, and rust blued the barrel. Poor gun was really ugly hot blued.

Last edited by Vall; 08/08/20 07:23 PM.
Vall #577323 08/08/20 07:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Minor issue since the receiver did have a saddle ring, the fact the serial number didn't match didn't bother me a bit. With a saddle ring, and a carbine buttstock and buttplate I was fine with it. Had it had a crescent butt, and a saddle ring on the receiver I'd be bothered.

You're right. I shouldn't have let that buttstock bug me. The numbers weren't even that far off from the number on the receiver. By the way, your deluxe .25-20 - those are some fantastic sights!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right. I shouldn't have let that buttstock bug me. The numbers weren't even that far off from the number on the receiver. By the way, your deluxe .25-20 - those are some fantastic sights!

I've only come across two of the Lyman windage combination globe sights in all my years of collecting. This one, and one other on a Winchester High Wall in .22 Short with a #4 weight barrel. Sold the High Wall, but if I ever sold this deluxe 1894 I'd put a Marlin sight up front and keep the Lyman windage combination sight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone have a 1895 light weight Deluxe? It is a gun I would like to own.

Also, does this 1895 look familiar to anyone? This is not mine, but I want it to be. I'm still stalking it.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

And this Ballard used to be owned by a friend. I think it has the most lovely buttstock of all time. It was bought be someone that is/was on this forum.

I love the way it reaches back to connect with its muzzleloading phylogeny.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always an interesting and top notch line up MG. It is odd that I've seen one of those Lyman no. 8 front sights, and it was on a Bullard single shot of all things. I had thoughts of picking up one of those Red River copies just in case, but who knows if they will ever be available again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, does this 1895 look familiar to anyone? This is not mine, but I want it to be. I'm still stalking it.

That's a beautiful M1895 takedown engraved Marlin. In the last several years some of the big auction house have sold some very nice high conditioned engraved Marlins - including M1895's. The Model 1895 is my favorite Marlin. I have always wanted just a plan M1895 lightweight in .45-70. I've never connected and almost never seen one for sale. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find a lightweight in a deluxe version. I also am a fan of the '95 in SRC variation. As this is a gunshow right now, I'll include a pair of .33's I have. I do like case color and I like fancy, unusual wood. Between the two of these I have it covered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall - a tremendous improvement on that Schoyen Ballard. That hot blue job was a travesty on that rifle. A nice case color job was the way to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman, the engraved Marlin sold some years ago on Gunbroker of all places. I did not have the money then. I would like to know where it is and maybe even get another chance at buying it. BTW, I posted this picture of it here on this forum years ago, and in no time Michael Petrov found the painting from which the image originated. I now collect cave painting to be engraved on my rifles (only one so far).

I know of one person that has or had a lightweight deluxe '95 in .45-70.

Mine is neither lightweight, nor deluxe, or even original. But it's what I've got, and I rather like it. It will never be a collectible, but it may become a bear hunter very soon.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did own an 1895 Lightweight, but it wasn't a deluxe. It was in .33 Winchester like many were, and was a typical deluxe in every other feature. Had the lightweight lever, hard rubber shotgun buttplate, lightweight round barrel, and half magazine. The Lightweight 1895's were neat guns, as were the Lightweight 1893's, which I also had.
All long gone now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall - a tremendous improvement on that Schoyen Ballard. That hot blue job was a travesty on that rifle. A nice case color job was the way to go.

Beyond the hot blue, the gun's barrel showed the signs of years of being a competitive rifle, with likely many owners. It had four pairs of holes at various spacing for different scopes. It also had Pope cuts for a Pope telescope, and two extra dovetails for scope bases.
I really spent 3 days ignoring it at Denver the year I bought it, as did anyone else who saw it. But on Sat. afternoon as we were getting close to leaving for the day, I decided to take a look at it, just because it was so cheap. I asked the seller if the bore was good, and I planned to not look further if he said it was anything less than excellent. He confirmed it was excellent, so I asked to look it over.
After a examination, and noting the obvious defects of hot bluing and extra holes and dovetails, I asked if he was open to an offer, which he was. I made what I thought was a silly offer, and he took it quickly. I was worried, and wondered if I missed something. But I had to go through with it then. I paid him, and began to give it a harder look when he asked if I wanted to follow him out to his rig and get the case for it?
I was really puzzled, but played it cool and said, I did since it obviously came with the gun. We walked to his SUV and he opens the back to show the Hereford hide case. I opened the case, and immediately I saw the Lyman Super Targetspot 20x! A B&M powder measure, and a couple bags of bullets. A cleaning kit in an old brass tube with screw on caps, and some Ideal wad punches! I asked the guy why he didn't list all this on his price card? He grabbed the card and flipped it over to show me the pieces listed, on the back side! Amazing. I never picked the card up, and he never mentioned the extras!
I was speechless, and when I got back to our tables my friends said they thought I was just buying a gun, not doing a bunch of shopping? Told them the story, and we all had a good chuckle at how this purchase happened.
I filled all the extra holes and dovetails, but left two pairs at 7.25" spacing, plus I left the Pope cuts as they're cool, and impossible to fill without welding that would ruin the perfect rifling.

Vall #577414 08/09/20 06:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beyond the hot blue, the gun's barrel showed the signs of years of being a competitive rifle, with likely many owners. It had four pairs of holes at various spacing for different scopes. It also had Pope cuts for a Pope telescope, and two extra dovetails for scope bases.
I really spent 3 days ignoring it at Denver the year I bought it, as did anyone else who saw it. But on Sat. afternoon as we were getting close to leaving for the day, I decided to take a look at it, just because it was so cheap. I asked the seller if the bore was good, and I planned to not look further if he said it was anything less than excellent. He confirmed it was excellent, so I asked to look it over.
After a examination, and noting the obvious defects of hot bluing and extra holes and dovetails, I asked if he was open to an offer, which he was. I made what I thought was a silly offer, and he took it quickly. I was worried, and wondered if I missed something. But I had to go through with it then. I paid him, and began to give it a harder look when he asked if I wanted to follow him out to his rig and get the case for it?
I was really puzzled, but played it cool and said, I did since it obviously came with the gun. We walked to his SUV and he opens the back to show the Hereford hide case. I opened the case, and immediately I saw the Lyman Super Targetspot 20x! A B&M powder measure, and a couple bags of bullets. A cleaning kit in an old brass tube with screw on caps, and some Ideal wad punches! I asked the guy why he didn't list all this on his price card? He grabbed the card and flipped it over to show me the pieces listed, on the back side! Amazing. I never picked the card up, and he never mentioned the extras!
I was speechless, and when I got back to our tables my friends said they thought I was just buying a gun, not doing a bunch of shopping? Told them the story, and we all had a good chuckle at how this purchase happened.
I filled all the extra holes and dovetails, but left two pairs at 7.25" spacing, plus I left the Pope cuts as they're cool, and impossible to fill without welding that would ruin the perfect rifling.

Vall - very fun and enjoyable story. A very satisfied purchase too. Wow - he accepts an offer you considered silly and then all those extras (including the Targetspot scope!) and case. What a pleasant shocker. The other huge bonus was the bore condition. However, as I thought when I first saw a photo of the "before" photo of the rifle, I knew that hot reblued receiver was a big detraction. Now that's it's nicely case colored, you have a wonderful rig with a wonderful case and accessories. And to think you ignored it for 3 days!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Fred and Brent for the photo instruction. Also, thanks for the comments on the Bullard. I love this topic! I think it is sorely needed given the cancellation of gun shows. Looking at the initial photos on this thread, I am reminded I need to take some photos of my Ross left-hand conversion done by Woodward on an M-10.

Here is my .375 H&H Magnum built on a military Mauser action. Jeffery style stock. One of the aspects I like about this rifle was the meticulous action work that was done to make it fit and feed the .375 H&H cases like butter. Dennis Olson out of Montana did the action work many years ago.

I found another photo of my .375 -

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman,
Yes, I ignored it for 3 days, but so did all the other single shot guys at Denver. Many of them I know personally and later told me they thought the same thing; it was too ugly to even look at.
But old guns by famous barrel makers need to have excellent bores, or you've really lost a lot of the value put on their name being on the barrels. Not much good to have a Pope or Schoyen, but have a poor bore, since that's the real reason people want these maker's guns.
I bought my 3 barrel Pope set at Denver another trip, and I missed seeing it for 2 days, even though it was only two rows away from me! And after discovering it, and buying it; I asked the seller if he'd gotten any others looking at it? He said three guys had, but all passed on it. Like the Schoyen, he had the fitted case, plus a cigar box full of Pope tools under his table! I just don't understand how people function selling collectible firearms and not displaying them with everything that goes with them?

Last edited by Vall; 08/10/20 12:13 PM.
Vall #577490 08/10/20 06:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman, I just don't understand how people function selling collectible firearms and not displaying them with everything that goes with them?

Vall - I think that's because you were meant to own those two rifles smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman, I just don't understand how people function selling collectible firearms and not displaying them with everything that goes with them?

Vall - I think that's because you were meant to own those two rifles smile

I do believe there is something to that line of thinking. There are quite a few guns that I've purchased that just should have sold quickly to anyone interested, and yet there they were when I found them.
That 1881 Flues rifle was stuffed in a barrel of "junker guns" and as I walked by it I saw the Farrow buttplate sticking up, and the gorgeous wood. I felt weak in the knees when I pulled it out and saw an 1881 Marlin attached to it! I wont even mention the price tag the store had on it.
And I have another Schoyen Ballard (my first one purchased!) that I watched the gun store buy from a young man who said his grandfather left it to him, and he had no interest in it. I stood there speechless when the store owner told him he'd give him about 10% of it's true value! I wanted to jump in, but I bought a lot from the store, and felt I'd be out of place doing so. But it turned out the store owner wasn't cheating the youngster; but actually didn't know what it was. I asked to look at it, and he told me I could own it for 50% more than he paid. I quickly paid him and snatched it and ran out the door with it!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.