March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Equally as important as shot size is using a quality shell. Too many dove shooters go for the cheapest promo loads they can find. Again, for me results in too many fly offs. For doves I shoot lots of Winchester AAs and Remington STS.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use hard 8s early season and 7-1/2s later for doves, unless its windy. Then its 7-1/2 or sometimes 6 on doves, mostly longer shots in the desert. Quail are often 6s. All that is when Im out of CA, because all game here requires non-tox. Changes the equation and makes me leave 5he .410 and 28 at home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RST isn't cheap, but when you figure on the actual costs of a trip afield (gas, food, lodging, licences, other incidentals, etc.) it's pretty trivial. My old English 16 patterns perfectly with about any RST load I've ever tested and...I can get EXACTLY what I want from them. 2 1/2-inch shells in shot size 7 or shot size 5, one ounce (or less) loads, paper cartridges, etc. You name it and they probably load for it. If I had the luxury of shooting or hunting with more frequency, I'd certainly investigate a more cost-effective way to feed my hobby but until then, RST is my go-to source for shells. I even got a mixed case in the mail for Christmas last year.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/07/20 03:00 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well good thing next week I am in a 150 round SC and trap shot Ill give those RSTs a workout on clays see if I like them.
Ill be shooting 71/2 at those doves

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, but what kind of patterns are those pigeon guns throwing at 30 yards? Im guessing that as dense as possible might be the answer. Probably not improved cylinder or a normal upland game type choke. Not trying to argue but, trying to put things into perspective. And, hurray, dove season is soon approaching, yes?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, dove season is 28.58 days away. But, who's counting? grin

And yes again, the chokes are tight on pigeon guns, but I shoot tighter-than-average chokes on most gamebirds, too.

Not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, just making a very general statement, but if more hunters would work hard at improving their wingshooting they would find that they could utilize a little tighter choke, and stop depending on open patterns to hit the bird. Hit to miss ratios improve, and the dog doesn't have to chase down near as many crips.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doves are always a full choke proposition, even on opening day.

We are skipping opening weekend in Yuma this year. The CA ban on lead ammo has driven far too many CA hunters to AZ, and the level of assholery has ratcheted up accordingly. Just not worth the hassle. Planning to go closing weekend, if we go at all.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For my #1, I already swapped out the barrel for doves; shooting IM, and Full. The little Rizzini, is choked M/F. I am in full agreement, more choke may mean a few misses, However, when your on -very few fly offs and a happy dog to boot.

When I was shooting Way back in the day when on average 500 To 800 rounds a weekend. My shooting coach would have me shooting xfull At Skeet to get my swing and follow through back on track. When shooting registered targets a little more open choke should equate to no lost targets. At least that was his theory.

Strange after 35 years you still remember your coaches words of advice.

Rich

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I go into a shooting slump that's exactly what I do to get my shooting eye back in. Trick is you have to MAKE yourself hold where the gun is shooting. It may take me a box of shells to hit anything, but once the hand/eye coordination is reprogrammed, it all falls into place, uh, usually...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like RST falcon lites in my vintage 12'a and 16's. But I have not bought a box in almost 3 years because of the high shipping costs. Last I checked they wanted $39 a flat to ship to Colorado. That adds $4 per box to shells already going for $11 per box. Academy and other retailers ship for free for orders over $50, and others like Grabagun ship unlimited quantities for $12. Lately I have been getting the Federal Top Gun 7/8 oz 1200 fps lite recoil loads for $65 a flat plus $15 shipping plus or minus. Great shells in my opinion. Anybody have any secrets to getting RST shipping costs down?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.