March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Speaking of Hoffman Arms, I found this on youtube today

Hoffman Arms 1903

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred -

That's quite the Hoffman. Very impressive.

Vall - thanks for the additional photo instructions. It struck me as a bit complicated but I'm sure I'll get it. By the way, that's a very nice rifle you posted. I've never owned a Ballard. But... close - many Bullards wink

I recall we share an interest in Marlins.

Last edited by Boltman; 08/06/20 08:49 PM. Reason: had a recollection
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to a post I made in 2009 showing my nearly new condition Ross E-10. I can say it still looks the same so no point taking new photos of it. As I looked through that thread it brought back pleasant memories. Michael Petrov, Mark Benenson... I sure miss those guys. I'm sure many here still feel their loss. Mark Benenson and I had a connection through Savage 1899's. Reading their comments made me feel, for a moment, like they were still around.

Edit: let me add that even a John Amber multi-prize winner made a rare appearance in this thread. Fortunately for all of us, he remains extant.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=145361&page=1

Last edited by Boltman; 08/07/20 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot something important
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boltman
Fred -

That's quite the Hoffman. Very impressive.

Vall - thanks for the additional photo instructions. It struck me as a bit complicated but I'm sure I'll get it. By the way, that's a very nice rifle you posted. I've never owned a Ballard. But... close - many Bullards wink

I recall we share an interest in Marlins.

Maybe my description made it sound complicated? It's just 3 clicks. One in the image, one on the size, and one on the BCCode. Then just bring it here and insert it using "ctrl" and "v" keys.

Yes, we do share an interest in Marlins. But I've sold off well over 100 pre WWI era Marlin lever actions when my interests began slanting more towards Marlin Ballard rifles. The picture I posted is of my Rigby Ballard in .40-63 Everlasting. Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, again, that is a beautiful Rigby Ballard. But, it must have been very painful to let go of so many old Marlins. I know you had some very nice (and rare) pieces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, again, that is a beautiful Rigby Ballard. But, it must have been very painful to let go of so many old Marlins. I know you had some very nice (and rare) pieces.

Yes, some of them were extremely hard to let go, but only a few I still regret. I should have kept the gorgeous deluxe, factory engraved 1893, and the 1891, and 1892 deluxe '32's. All three were minty guns, and I regret letting them go. Some others were extremely rare, like my 1894 takedown half carbine (receiver back) and half octagon, half round, rifle (front half). But I do still have my 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues custom, and a handful of others I couldn't part with.
Ballard fever is worse than covid 19! It seems to remove all remnants of common sense, and takes over your gun room, and safes! But I don't regret the Ballard rifles that came because of the fever and sales!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall, are you collecting factory originals only or some of the custom guns too?

Some of the most amazing custom rifles that I have seen were Ballard schuetzen or other competition rifles.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Vall #577238 08/07/20 09:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall

Yes, some of them were extremely hard to let go, but only a few I still regret. I should have kept the gorgeous deluxe, factory engraved 1893, and the 1891, and 1892 deluxe '32's. All three were minty guns, and I regret letting them go. Some others were extremely rare, like my 1894 takedown half carbine (receiver back) and half octagon, half round, rifle (front half). But I do still have my 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues custom, and a handful of others I couldn't part with.
Ballard fever is worse than covid 19! It seems to remove all remnants of common sense, and takes over your gun room, and safes! But I don't regret the Ballard rifles that came because of the fever and sales!

Yes, some lovely pieces you had. Was the M1894 half carbine in .25/20?

Vall #577242 08/07/20 09:17 PM
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall

My dad loved trap shooting, we lived pretty poor growing up, but he retired with a lot of disposable income and bought an Emil Flues single barrel trap gun, it passed on to my brother when my dad died. I would love to see pictures of our 1881 Deluxe Emil Flues Custom.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Vall, are you collecting factory originals only or some of the custom guns too?

Some of the most amazing custom rifles that I have seen were Ballard schuetzen or other competition rifles.

My main interest is Ballard schuetzen rifles, and especially those by custom barrel, or gun makers. Most of my single shots are factory originals, but I have a fair number of Schoyen, Pope, Zettler Bros., AW Peterson, etc. also. They are my favorites, but often are more expensive than originals in equal condition. So have to budget for what I can afford when the opportunity knocks, and hope I can swing another when it does. But I really try to steer clear of originals lately. Only one original I'd like to own still, and that's a #7 A-1 Extra Long Range, which will cost dearly if I find one. I have an early #7 Long Range that's before they began the factory engraved A-1 Extras, but the engraved A-1 is on my bucket list still.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.