March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

And this Ballard used to be owned by a friend. I think it has the most lovely buttstock of all time. It was bought be someone that is/was on this forum.

I love the way it reaches back to connect with its muzzleloading phylogeny.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always an interesting and top notch line up MG. It is odd that I've seen one of those Lyman no. 8 front sights, and it was on a Bullard single shot of all things. I had thoughts of picking up one of those Red River copies just in case, but who knows if they will ever be available again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Anyone have a 1895 light weight Deluxe? It is a gun I would like to own.

Also, does this 1895 look familiar to anyone? This is not mine, but I want it to be. I'm still stalking it.

That's a beautiful M1895 takedown engraved Marlin. In the last several years some of the big auction house have sold some very nice high conditioned engraved Marlins - including M1895's. The Model 1895 is my favorite Marlin. I have always wanted just a plan M1895 lightweight in .45-70. I've never connected and almost never seen one for sale. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find a lightweight in a deluxe version. I also am a fan of the '95 in SRC variation. As this is a gunshow right now, I'll include a pair of .33's I have. I do like case color and I like fancy, unusual wood. Between the two of these I have it covered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall - a tremendous improvement on that Schoyen Ballard. That hot blue job was a travesty on that rifle. A nice case color job was the way to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman, the engraved Marlin sold some years ago on Gunbroker of all places. I did not have the money then. I would like to know where it is and maybe even get another chance at buying it. BTW, I posted this picture of it here on this forum years ago, and in no time Michael Petrov found the painting from which the image originated. I now collect cave painting to be engraved on my rifles (only one so far).

I know of one person that has or had a lightweight deluxe '95 in .45-70.

Mine is neither lightweight, nor deluxe, or even original. But it's what I've got, and I rather like it. It will never be a collectible, but it may become a bear hunter very soon.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Anyone have a 1895 light weight Deluxe? It is a gun I would like to own.

Also, does this 1895 look familiar to anyone? This is not mine, but I want it to be. I'm still stalking it.

I did own an 1895 Lightweight, but it wasn't a deluxe. It was in .33 Winchester like many were, and was a typical deluxe in every other feature. Had the lightweight lever, hard rubber shotgun buttplate, lightweight round barrel, and half magazine. The Lightweight 1895's were neat guns, as were the Lightweight 1893's, which I also had.
All long gone now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boltman
Vall - a tremendous improvement on that Schoyen Ballard. That hot blue job was a travesty on that rifle. A nice case color job was the way to go.

Beyond the hot blue, the gun's barrel showed the signs of years of being a competitive rifle, with likely many owners. It had four pairs of holes at various spacing for different scopes. It also had Pope cuts for a Pope telescope, and two extra dovetails for scope bases.
I really spent 3 days ignoring it at Denver the year I bought it, as did anyone else who saw it. But on Sat. afternoon as we were getting close to leaving for the day, I decided to take a look at it, just because it was so cheap. I asked the seller if the bore was good, and I planned to not look further if he said it was anything less than excellent. He confirmed it was excellent, so I asked to look it over.
After a examination, and noting the obvious defects of hot bluing and extra holes and dovetails, I asked if he was open to an offer, which he was. I made what I thought was a silly offer, and he took it quickly. I was worried, and wondered if I missed something. But I had to go through with it then. I paid him, and began to give it a harder look when he asked if I wanted to follow him out to his rig and get the case for it?
I was really puzzled, but played it cool and said, I did since it obviously came with the gun. We walked to his SUV and he opens the back to show the Hereford hide case. I opened the case, and immediately I saw the Lyman Super Targetspot 20x! A B&M powder measure, and a couple bags of bullets. A cleaning kit in an old brass tube with screw on caps, and some Ideal wad punches! I asked the guy why he didn't list all this on his price card? He grabbed the card and flipped it over to show me the pieces listed, on the back side! Amazing. I never picked the card up, and he never mentioned the extras!
I was speechless, and when I got back to our tables my friends said they thought I was just buying a gun, not doing a bunch of shopping? Told them the story, and we all had a good chuckle at how this purchase happened.
I filled all the extra holes and dovetails, but left two pairs at 7.25" spacing, plus I left the Pope cuts as they're cool, and impossible to fill without welding that would ruin the perfect rifling.

Vall #577414 08/09/20 06:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vall

Beyond the hot blue, the gun's barrel showed the signs of years of being a competitive rifle, with likely many owners. It had four pairs of holes at various spacing for different scopes. It also had Pope cuts for a Pope telescope, and two extra dovetails for scope bases.
I really spent 3 days ignoring it at Denver the year I bought it, as did anyone else who saw it. But on Sat. afternoon as we were getting close to leaving for the day, I decided to take a look at it, just because it was so cheap. I asked the seller if the bore was good, and I planned to not look further if he said it was anything less than excellent. He confirmed it was excellent, so I asked to look it over.
After a examination, and noting the obvious defects of hot bluing and extra holes and dovetails, I asked if he was open to an offer, which he was. I made what I thought was a silly offer, and he took it quickly. I was worried, and wondered if I missed something. But I had to go through with it then. I paid him, and began to give it a harder look when he asked if I wanted to follow him out to his rig and get the case for it?
I was really puzzled, but played it cool and said, I did since it obviously came with the gun. We walked to his SUV and he opens the back to show the Hereford hide case. I opened the case, and immediately I saw the Lyman Super Targetspot 20x! A B&M powder measure, and a couple bags of bullets. A cleaning kit in an old brass tube with screw on caps, and some Ideal wad punches! I asked the guy why he didn't list all this on his price card? He grabbed the card and flipped it over to show me the pieces listed, on the back side! Amazing. I never picked the card up, and he never mentioned the extras!
I was speechless, and when I got back to our tables my friends said they thought I was just buying a gun, not doing a bunch of shopping? Told them the story, and we all had a good chuckle at how this purchase happened.
I filled all the extra holes and dovetails, but left two pairs at 7.25" spacing, plus I left the Pope cuts as they're cool, and impossible to fill without welding that would ruin the perfect rifling.

Vall - very fun and enjoyable story. A very satisfied purchase too. Wow - he accepts an offer you considered silly and then all those extras (including the Targetspot scope!) and case. What a pleasant shocker. The other huge bonus was the bore condition. However, as I thought when I first saw a photo of the "before" photo of the rifle, I knew that hot reblued receiver was a big detraction. Now that's it's nicely case colored, you have a wonderful rig with a wonderful case and accessories. And to think you ignored it for 3 days!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to Fred and Brent for the photo instruction. Also, thanks for the comments on the Bullard. I love this topic! I think it is sorely needed given the cancellation of gun shows. Looking at the initial photos on this thread, I am reminded I need to take some photos of my Ross left-hand conversion done by Woodward on an M-10.

Here is my .375 H&H Magnum built on a military Mauser action. Jeffery style stock. One of the aspects I like about this rifle was the meticulous action work that was done to make it fit and feed the .375 H&H cases like butter. Dennis Olson out of Montana did the action work many years ago.

I found another photo of my .375 -

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boltman,
Yes, I ignored it for 3 days, but so did all the other single shot guys at Denver. Many of them I know personally and later told me they thought the same thing; it was too ugly to even look at.
But old guns by famous barrel makers need to have excellent bores, or you've really lost a lot of the value put on their name being on the barrels. Not much good to have a Pope or Schoyen, but have a poor bore, since that's the real reason people want these maker's guns.
I bought my 3 barrel Pope set at Denver another trip, and I missed seeing it for 2 days, even though it was only two rows away from me! And after discovering it, and buying it; I asked the seller if he'd gotten any others looking at it? He said three guys had, but all passed on it. Like the Schoyen, he had the fitted case, plus a cigar box full of Pope tools under his table! I just don't understand how people function selling collectible firearms and not displaying them with everything that goes with them?

Last edited by Vall; 08/10/20 12:13 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.