March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (KDGJ, Karl Graebner), 343 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

First year of production? That would be 1914- and your M12 is most likely marked Model 1912-- 25" plain barrel and std. full choke, right. I love M12's (except those adorned with "Steam Whistles" and PollyWannaCracker twisty chokes- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK Drewbie- here we go-- May/June 2020 issue of SS magazine Fine Gunmaking by Stephen Dodd Hughes-- on the "Perfect Repeater" :: page 36 mid-page graph- quoted: "Bluing loss is pretty typical for M-12's, and that goes along with another theory of mine. I think the so-called nickel used in these guns doesn't hold its bluing as well because of the alloy of the steel (add: my obs. try bluing chromium, whether rust bluing or the later dip-tank process)-- "According to Tool Steel Simplified-- Nickel does add to the toughness and wear resistance when used in conjunction with hardening alloys like chromium. Prior to about 1939, M-12's were rust blued. For the most part, the bluing holds up well on the barrels but seems thinner and to wear faster on the harder steel of the actions and barrel extensions"!!!

I also wonder, as Dad's 1938 era M21-12 gauge Field grade shows a browning shade on the receiver floor plate, but no the graying shades of finish wear on the barrels (it has a splinter field style forearm) and has been shot and used afield a great deal since he bought it secondhand in 1948, gave it me in 1980 (Thanks, Dad)

The oldest of my 7 Model 12's had a nickel steel barrel. A field grade 12- 28" barrel Full Choke sn.264437 possibly mfgd. in 1921- the barrel, mag tube and barrel extension shows good even solid blue, but both sides of the receiver, also top and part of the trigger guard are a worn with careful usage a grayish hue- even, NO rust anywhere (true with all my other shotguns as well.

I still tend to beleieve that WPS was WRA's marketing move, following on the heels of the Stainless Steel barrels offered in the late 1920's era.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.