March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, SKB, Marc Ret, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: BrentD
There are a couple model 8 on gunbroker right now I believe. But probably 12s.

They are considerably cheaper than an SKB 280 which would still need some doctoring to catch up to the Merkel. All you really get for that extra money would be ejectors and a really ugly single trigger.

Ugly single trigger? It's a single trigger that's pretty darned reliable. Inertia rather than mechanical. But of all the Ithaca SKB's I've owned, I can't recall any trigger issues. If you want those, go talk to the Turks.

I never said unreliable for a reason, Larry. It does work, but damm, it is ugly; not to mention frigid even smile. if it was blued, it would still be hideous but less obvious. The silvered ones on the 100s and the gold on the 200s are what they are, and you know what they say about life span and ugly guns.

That said, I still have 2 SKBs to go with my Merkel and many other guns as well. So, the darn guns are worth owning in my opinion, but they have their limitations. They are no more reliable than a Merkel M8 nor a spec more reliable either. The Merk has it all over them for looks and warmth while being on par for reliability and about the same money (as the 100s - 280s are a lot more and an M8). At least that's mine opinion.

crs - that Parker looks anything but entry level (like an SKB 100 or M8). That's as fine a Parker as I've seen. Not a big Parker fan here, but I could learn to like that one, a lot. I suspect I would have to trade in both my SKBs and the Merkel to get one, however.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, Brent. I like both SKB's and Merkels--but some people don't much care for German guns. What I like about German guns vs SKB's are features you can't get on the SKB's--like double triggers. Like splinter forends other than on the 100. But as noted above, small bore Merkels (or Sauers, or Simsons) aren't all that easy to find. Especially not at prices competitive to the Ithaca SKB's--because not many of them are the basic models, like the Merkel 8. I really like my Merkel 47E for its features, but an Ithaca 280 will cost half the money--or less. A 100 less than that. A pretty trigger doesn't do much to trip the scale one way or the other for me. But 2 triggers vs one . . . that's worth something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that a particular protagonist is gone I will mention why Merkels leave me cold. The stock cheeks on the ones I have handled are exaggerated and have sharp edges, and the rear point is sharp to the extent of being uncomfortable when my hand encounters it.

I don't care for the Teutonic styling of almost all German built top-break guns, Merkel being no exception. In addition, there seems to be none of the svelte shaping that is so attractive to me, such as on a A H Fox action. The bolsters, the deep relief engraving and carvings of German guns, just don't do it for me.

Notice, please, that I said earlier that I believe "Merkels are finely made guns, no doubt. They are strong and should last several lifetimes .........". But, that does not equate to attractiveness, to me. Thus, the reason Merkels leave me cold.

I need no one to agree with me, and will have no disagreement with anyone who feels otherwise.

Best to all, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/19/20 06:38 AM. Reason: clarification

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Stan. I first saw Merkels at one of Toronto's fine gunshops in the early 60s. You put the finger on why they left me cold, too. Everything was as you say, obviously all the ingredients of a good gun but not enough to make me want one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

take a look at pre ww1 fox and sauer field guns...they look like first cuzins...

sauers came first...figure ole ah saw a good thing and just copied it, more or less...

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/j-p-sauer-double-barrel-shotgun-3076796

https://imgur.com/gallery/ci6wGnW

Last edited by ed good; 08/18/20 10:20 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some Sauers and Linder Dalys are exceptions to German guns with the Teutonic styling that I don't care for. They don't have it, and can be absolutely gorgeous guns.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.