March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Backer rod is not flower arranging foam. Your ignorance is on full display once again.

Were you to be interested in learning instead of slinging mud, you might read Graham Wright's book "shooting the British Double rifle" as it covers the subject of back rod quite well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank-you for pointing out the thread in the DR forum keith. What a coincidence.

I was unaware of Burrard writing on the subject. Likely read that years ago and since I had no use for the information then just forgot about it.

Quite an interesting subject.

The part about shooting straight up and causing a ring would seem to verify the pressure wave mechanism as real.

In a shotgun, the crush section apparently defeats the pressure wave.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It might be that these problems are not happening due to bad luck with normal pressures, these seem to be generally attributed to excessive pressure spikes due to not using some slower powders as intended or as becomes the recommendation?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
It might be that these problems are not happening due to bad luck with normal pressures, these seem to be generally attributed to excessive pressure spikes due to not using some slower powders as intended or as becomes the recommendation?

It's happened with black, and that's plenty fast.

A report on the Shiloh forum indicates it happened with a hang-fire BP load and it took exactly one shot.

AA 5744 is a fast powder for a rifle.

Successful loads are made for the 45-70 using fast powders such as Unique also. Some guys go as slow as IMR 4064 and seem to do just fine.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

What gun on the Shiloh forum was this? I disremember.

In the FWIW department, schuetzen shooters routinely breech seat thousands upon thousands of loads with black powder and a gap behind the bullet. Nary a problem and excellent accuracy year after year, as their targets illustrate.

I know of no one that has been able to replicate Dell's results. Particularly the shooting straight up one.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Only opinions here Sj. I think unique is an outstanding powder, and a really nice option to have for nearly any cast bullet fiddling. I suspect you will want to try your new rifle way out at long range, and may look to other powders.

I would be a little hesitant to assume black powder is just dumped into a case and fired. Folks are using all manners of wadding, duplex loading and compression that might make the powder seem like a semisolid block. Maybe, start with something like the Lyman manual, then branch out as you become familiar?

edit to add Brent, most schuetzen shooters are using relative small bore rifles and exclusively smokeless powders, fast pistol type powders.

Last edited by craigd; 08/13/20 11:03 AM.
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgun jones ;
Two comments:
1- 5744 is OK for low speed plinking loads in my 1886 riles (45-70 and 90). 4198 is good in my 45-70 DR giving an accurate 1590 fps load at 13,900 psi low pressure. A 300 grain .458 bullet at 1600 fps is plenty good for deer and hogs at 45-70 hunting ranges.
Serious DG loads are another matter entirely.

2. I have been shooting for several decades and never have "ringed" a rifle chamber or a revolver chamber. Therefore can not offer counsel on the subject.
Good luck and keep your powder dry.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Backer rod is not flower arranging foam. Your ignorance is on full display once again.

Were you to be interested in learning instead of slinging mud, you might read Graham Wright's book "shooting the British Double rifle" as it covers the subject of back rod quite well.

I know full well that backer rod is not flower arranging foam Queen Stevie. I also have the third edition of Graeme (not Graham) Wright's book... and unlike you, I have this thing called "Reading Comprehension".

I even know that subjects of the Roman Empire were not Europeans, and know the difference between feather crotch black walnut and thin shell walnut... unlike you.

Here's a QUOTE made by your boyfriend BrentD in post # 577567

Originally Posted By: BrentD

I and a few friends have been loading bpcr cartridges with light loads of Unique, 4227, and similar powders, then pushing 3/8" of fine-pore floral foam over the powder until it crushes. This also holds the powder on the primer and creates a sizable amount of space to the lead bullet. Accuracy is greatly improved in most cases. No problems have been reported.

And there we have it... your ignorance on full display again, along with yet another shrill melt-down, all because you were consumed by an estrogen fueled rage over me criticizing your boyfriend.

No surprise there Queen Stevie!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

I even know that subjects of the Roman Empire were not Europeans

Well you just go ahead and re-write history as you see fit.

I think you will find that the vast majority of the subjects of the Western portion of the Roman Empire were indeed European.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Only opinions here Sj. I think unique is an outstanding powder, and a really nice option to have for nearly any cast bullet fiddling. I suspect you will want to try your new rifle way out at long range, and may look to other powders.

I would be a little hesitant to assume black powder is just dumped into a case and fired. Folks are using all manners of wadding, duplex loading and compression that might make the powder seem like a semisolid block. Maybe, start with something like the Lyman manual, then branch out as you become familiar?

edit to add Brent, most schuetzen shooters are using relative small bore rifles and exclusively smokeless powders, fast pistol type powders.

Craigd
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. But bp schuetzen is loaded without duplex, and typically involves drop tubing or compression or both and the calibers are generally larger than .32, with 38s being more common along with .40s and .45s (my personal favorite). Bullets are always heavy for bore. Again, air spaces between overpowder was and bullet exist without problem.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.