March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44, Ian Forrester, SKB), 806 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a basket weave butt plate on the way, will check under pad soon. No other ID marks. This thing is choked .030 and .038. Thats the tightest 16ga I have ever had. Wood ducks and turkeys beware.

Thanks Raimey for all your help, I wouldnt have been able to buy such nice examples with out the information I have received from you over the last several ( maybe 20 ) years.

I will never forget that fellow arguing with you over A
Prussian gun and you threatening to break his Monocle. Funniest thing I ever read on a gun / sporting site!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, >>smashed monocle<<. I watched an abundance of >>Hogan's Heroes<< re-runs as a lad & watch them even till this day, if I can stay awake long enough.

But I have to attribute the knowledge to Dietrich Apel, and others, who in particular sunk his all, including monies, to get the awareness of German guns out there. Without him, German guns would not come close to approaching the value of their English cousins.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jtplumb,
I can't say the hinge pin wasn't replaced, but replacing it often results in a small "gap" in front of the underlug, which is not obvious on your gun. Another method of tightening a gun is sometimes performed on one that is "for sale". In this method, the hinge pin is expanded and the forearm "iron" is stretched( bearing harder on the frame). Until it "wears in", this usually results in the forearm being harder to remove. You might be able to tell if this was done. If you take the "iron" out of the forearm, you might see dimples on the backside, caused by a rounded chisel like punch used to stretch it out a couple thousanths. The gun was made before modern shot cups( Suhl didn't start dating the proofs until 1921-2), so I wouldn't hesitate to open the chokes to work better with modern shells. You can be proud of the gun, enjoy it.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 08/14/20 10:05 AM.
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike.
Patterned gun at 30 yards today with my 2 1/2 7/8 oz loads, both barrels pretty much the same pattern. I will Probably use 3/4 loads for doves should be lots of fun at 40- 50 yards.

I did find Smaller faint marks On each tube capital H with 6 pointed star above.
Raimey did you see those in pics? I missed them before.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 08/14/20 02:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just want to echo Raimey's comments about Dietrich Apel!He spent many hours on the phone answering stupid questions from me when I first became interested in drillings and then continued to educate me as I progressed to BBFs and on.
Beautiful gun there. Thanks for sharing so Raimey and Mike and others can continue to educate me.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Beautiful gun. Great find.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks,
Shot some 5 stand with it Sunday, surprised myself shot it quite well with those tight chokes. Just have to decide if I will case color it again or just fix those hinge pin covers. Will have barrels properly blued and wood refinished. Gun is super tight so may just leave action alone other than those covers. Horn butt came in today.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Not that you are asking but, while I've been known to re-CCH more than a few actions, this one I would leave alone. Fresh finishes on the wood and the barrels and that action should pop. See the thread on the Lindner Daly restoration from a few months ago for examples of how just giving the action parts a cleaning in an ultrasonic machine can really bring out the best that may be there.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=569690#Post569690

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Suggestions from you guys are most appreciated. I have had an action warp and gunmaker make mistakes that caused a tight gun to be a tad loose. It was my first British gun, a Greener and I have never gotten over that one.
Thanks

Jtplumb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Lindner is coming home soon from Dennis Smith I am looking forward to seeing what the wood looks like now. Here is the before pics

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.