March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 841 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
#5784 10/16/06 01:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A modern version of Niedner's shooting sticks used to be available from G T Glebe Co., Bryn Athyn, PA. They made their "Chuck-Stick" from a piece of drill rod with a padded aluminum casting providing the rest arm; a wooden knob was the handle for pressing it into the ground, then was losened to permit the rest to pivot and slide to the desired height on the shaft. Two thumb screws then held it.

#5785 10/16/06 03:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

][/QUOTE]Brent

Gosh, this sounds like my big chance to be rich! :rolleyes:

I have a Borchardt action that I am going to build into an international rules Long Range rifle and am considering a DST conversion. I have (incomplete) drawings of the Zischang trigger and one designed by Zika. Both seem far more complicated than necessary and an absolute nightmare to build and set up properly. I am expecting copies of yet another design to arrive soon, and I have an idea of my own that I am toying with.

We shall see. The one man I know of that built a set swears he will never do so again. There is a reason no one is offering them.

Glenn [/QB][/QUOTE]

When K-Mart was closing their stores in Alaska and had a sale on everything I pick up a set of Zischang DST, wish I knew then that more people would want one

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

#5786 10/16/06 04:52 PM

Regarding the picture of Leopold with the scoped Stevens and the tails around his neck, the tails are likely squirrel tails and the cartridge is likely 25-25 Stevens or 28-35 Stevens. The last two issues of The Single Shot Exchange ran a very interesting reprint of a late 19th Century story of several friends in New England off on a week long bicycle hunting trip. They had two 25 and one 28 caliber single shot rifles, and if I recall correctly two Moog telescopic sights. The host of the hunt referred to as “L” had the 28-35 Stevens with a scope.

I’m making this post at work, and the magazines are at home, but I think I have the main points correct. In any case, a very interesting photograph; thanks for showing it to us.

Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts
#5787 10/16/06 05:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
]
When K-Mart was closing their stores in Alaska and had a sale on everything I pick up a set of Zischang DST, wish I knew then that more people would want one

[/QUOTE]

Ain't that just how it always goes?

Thanks a bunch for the picture! I have copied it into my highly organized filing system. I don't suppose you would have any other views of the trigger assembly? I would like to see it from the top and am uncertain just how this system interacts with trigger bar. Will this trigger system fire front trigger unset?

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
#5788 10/16/06 05:47 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by H A Roberts:
Regarding the picture of Leopold with the scoped Stevens and the tails around his neck, the tails are likely squirrel tails and the cartridge is likely 25-25 Stevens or 28-35 Stevens. The last two issues of The Single Shot Exchange ran a very interesting reprint of a late 19th Century story of several friends in New England off on a week long bicycle hunting trip. They had two 25 and one 28 caliber single shot rifles, and if I recall correctly two Moog telescopic sights. The host of the hunt referred to as “L” had the 28-35 Stevens with a scope.

I’m making this post at work, and the magazines are at home, but I think I have the main points correct. In any case, a very interesting photograph; thanks for showing it to us.

Bob Roberts
Bob, welcome to the forum. Do the shells in Mr. Leopold’s belt look like they have a neck on them to you?

#5789 10/16/06 05:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Glenn, The pictured triggers were made from a Zischang not from the Niedner. Later in the week I’ll get a picture from the top for you. I’ll take a look at the Niedner and see how much trouble it will be to photograph them as well.

The front trigger on the Niedner will fire the rifle without the rear set, and not a bad pull at that. The Zischang triggers are not yet installed on a rifle but they will do the same.

#5790 10/16/06 06:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael:

It looks like the Zischang trigger set that I have the drawing of. The mainspring is pretty distinctive. I would appreciate any images you could provide on this. I would also really like to see how Mr. Niedner approached the problem, howsomever I don't expect you to take your rifle apart just to post pictures. If you should ever happen to have the rifle apart please do take some pictures.

As for the cartridges on Mr. Leopolds belt, it appears to me that they are straight cases. My guess, based on their length and the fact he is holding a Stevens rifle, is that they are .28-30 Stevens. Could be .25-25 Stevens but they look larger than .25 caliber.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
#5791 10/16/06 07:20 PM

Michael,

After looking at the dimensions of the Stevens action and at Leopold’s stature in the first image, I would agree that the cartridges are more likely 28-35 Stevens - relatively larger, straighter and little taper, with a seemingly larger rim.

As you well know, these old boys were fierce offhand competitors, and relentless experimenters in service of that competition off the bench. But when they wanted to just have some fun and let their hair down, they seemed to like to go hunting for ground hogs, squirrels, grouse, and such. I can’t recall exactly in which book, but either Pope or Mann writes about the two of them just getting away to hunt ground hogs. Maybe it was Mann trying to coax or entice an exhausted, overworked Pope away from the shop for some outdoor recreation.

Bob

Bob Roberts
#5792 10/16/06 07:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good friend who is going to turn 91 soon gave me all his Single Shot Rifle Exchange and Single Shot Journal (??) magazines. I love them to death, but it's a little like giving my Double Gun Journals to a Cowboy Action Shooter. I devour them but I don't know a tenth of what I'm reading. I sure wasted my early days. I could have been messing with single shots. I hope I get a few of my friend's rifles, but I'll probably have to stand in line. Murphy

#5793 10/16/06 11:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Glenn,

I’ll try to get some good pictures and post them on this thread, I have all the pieces for a Zischang-Borchardt just trying to get the person who made the triggers to tackle another installation. At the time he built four set’s installed two and made one from himself and one for me. Says making the trigger is just half of the job.

I located the original Leopold picture and it’s plain that the cartridges are a straight taper and no neck, so it’s the .28-30.

Bob,

I believe that your reference to Mann and Pope getting away might be in the Gerald Kelver book on Pope with all the reprinted letters.

Murphy,

Buying original single-shot rifles such as Schuetzen rifles are a thing of the past for me. I’m lucky that I bought well when I was younger, I never dreamed that the prices would rise to where they are today. All my good single-shots were bought from friends and acquaintances, just had to be in line. One Ballard took twenty years

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.