March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 293 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why miss-spell levers as "leavers". Aren't "leavers" folks who were raised to believe that it is proper form to always leave some food remaining on your plate after the meal is finished?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well fox with the runs you are right and I will have strong words with my word processor. But in the way of things do I really care, and maybe you should grow up and look past such childish things to occupy your mind. So I will leave it to the Archer from the British hundred years war to demonstrate what I think of you and your petty observations of course I will look forward to looking at your corrections of American citizens mistakes that are made here rather than just my good self.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, let's say you are starting with a game gun in good condition, locks up tight and no loose ribs etc. If you shoot 7/8's loads and as someone mentioned clean the action especially behind the ejectors or extractors and the hook there is no reason to think the gun won't outlast you. I have had a Dickson boxlock and WJ Jeffery sidelock that I put 5-7000 light rounds through every year I owned them and they showed no sign of wear. The Jeffery was made 1906.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Sidelock
Sidelock

With the light loads you are using most wear will be from opening and closing. Keeping all grit out of the wear points and keeping them properly lubed will slow even that down to a very slow craw. As others have sad the gun should outlast you and even the next owner if well cared for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice topic here.

I would not hesitate to put 2000/year through a gun in reasonable condition. Two thousand is a ton of hunting, but not much at all at the traps, and I would expect that most of our guns will have to survive some time at the traps in order to get to the field.

There are a lot of variables. I think it was in an article about Fabbri where it was stated that the two most important aspects of a good shotgun are metallurgy and fit; design was in there, but down the list. As mentioned before, cleanliness and lubrication are biggies (I am trying to recall encountering a worn out gun that had visible lube). Then there's the outlier, like my early-manufacture Ruger Red Label with about 75K through it, no repairs and no malfunctions, though I did have it rebolted recently.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Much of the comments are concerning the mechanisms of the guns.

I worry as much or more about the wood, many upland guns have smaller frames and are stocked thinly through the wrist. My CSMC fox has developed a small crack near upper left rear of the upper tang. It is now at CSMC being checked out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr Hinkins' Smith was good for > 75,000
Sporting Life, Feb. 20, 1897
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/47049
Dr. Hinkins of Chicago, has an L. C. Smith gun that was formerly used by Rolla Heikes. This gun was fired 60,000 times while in the possession of Mr. Heikes and has had over 15,000 shots fired from it since that time by Dr. Hinkins. This goes to show what the L. C. Smith gun will stand, as it is still tight and strong us a new gun.

It was probably a heavier Pigeon gun, but the usual loads then were 1 1/4 oz. 3 1/2 Dr.Eq. boomers

One of W.W. Greener's > 80,000
https://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA353

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ol'Forester
Much of the comments are concerning the mechanisms of the guns.
I worry as much or more about the wood, many upland guns have smaller frames and are stocked thinly through the wrist.
My CSMC fox has developed a small crack near upper left rear of the upper tang. It is now at CSMC being checked out.

Say it with me, "Lifetime guarantee".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, my favorites-hammer guns and that one is truly a beauty.

Also, sometimes Runs has nothing better to do than correct our mistakes in grammar.

Last edited by David Williamson; 08/24/20 04:07 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Model 21 with a loose rib or a CSMC Fox with a crack in the stock is not worn out from number of rounds fired or from any other reason. Any of the guns mentioned will last for tens of thousands of rounds unless abused. Remember that Parker and other brands of single and double trap guns were fired tens of thousands of times with heavy 1 1/4 ounce loads before they ever got to gunsinternational.com and generally are in fine shape to shoot another century.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.