March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb), 791 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Woodreaux,
The most valuable thing you have is a machinist friend, you can help each other. He will need help moving things around and setting up. You can learn a lot by helping him and he will be happy to advise you and give you tips. You will need to make all kinds of "do-dads" to support the equipment you do have, such as " dog plate", cross slide stop, etc. When you make something, show it to him, he might advise how to do it quicker or better. Also, he might need one himself and if you make one for him, you will never "want" for help or "drops" to make your stuff with. You can make small equipment act a little "bigger" by bolting it hard to the bench with a reinforced top, fastened to the wall, and all your bullets/lead/ wheel weights stored on a shelf underneath. You will find it harder to get small foreign equipment to turn slow enough, than fast enough. You can use cheap carbide cutters in the lathe, but you will need to have a "green wheel", and sharpen them first. In the long run, "high speed steel" will teach you more about grinding cutting tools than anything else. Someone above mentioned a round post "mill/drill". You would find a mill/drill useful; but today you can find "square post" ones pretty easily. Good luck, have fun.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with what Mike said, and I personally would consider lending an occasional hand as far as moving materials, maintenance, or sweep up just to let your buddy know that you dont come around only when you want something. Its kind of like hunting access, some folks will just get a no, but others might be told, dont worry I know who you are, go ahead.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

sounds like good advice. And will certainly make me feel better about using his machines. Especially since its a hobby for me, but a livelihood for him.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guess I am a contrary old cuss.
My machines are old and replacement parts are not available.
Made enough mistakes on my own learning to use them, even with some experience.
Will make most any part for neighbors or friends, but don't allow them to use my machines.
Experienced machinist might be different, might learn something. Don't have the patience to teach.
Anyone who will let you use their machines is a Saint and should be treated as such.
Chuck

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuckster

Anyone who will let you use their machines is a Saint and should be treated as such.
Chuck

No doubt.

Id be happy just to learn by watching him. That alone would be worth the price of admission.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can get you the very best quality 1/2" and 3/8" coated carbide end mills for a very reasonable price.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Benchmaster mills are small and work on a knee so you can do some pretty good stuff you can add a Chuck and do really accurate drilling.scope mounts etc.but a bridge port is much more versatile I have a Logan lathe that I added good chucks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Id highly recommend getting full sized machines if you can make the floor space work. A 9x42 Bridgeport tucked in the corner doesnt take up much room, and in fact when done in this manner will take up about the same floor space as a hobby/small mill. Youll never regret the extra mass and HP. Same for the lathe. With a VFD you can run 3-phase machines on single phase 220v.

Often times you can find full sized machines for the same price or less than the hobby sized machines. I have two mills Currently, didnt pay more than $1000 for each. One is a MINT piece, 2hp, Y axis box ways, variable speed, 9x49, little use. That was a steal.

I paid $800 for my Supermax YCM40 CNC mill, granted it needed a new controller. I bought it for the iron.

In the past Ive also had a 9x42 manual Hartford mill I got for $800. Well used but worked better than a hobby mill. Sold it two years later for $1000.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone seen the picture of the Scottish gunmaker whom shares his shed with a full size mill and lathe? Talk about limited space!

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Sidelock
Sidelock

An English gentleman, Harry Eales, did some very nice work in his bedroom.
Bench mill and small lathe, complete action build. Gone now and missed.
Chuck

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.