April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ChiefC, David Williamson, 2 invisible), 778 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Oil soaked, some external pitting on the barrels,great wood under the grime, front sight is damaged, very good bores. I will sympathetically restore this one and work up a load for it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any load data pencilled under buttplate or locks?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I have not pulled either yet.

Today I burned quite a few calories striking the barrels. Not done yet but I will be with another good polishing session or two.

I'll see if I can get it to regulated with 136 grains of black and a 340 grain bullet first.

I need to slug the bores, order the proper size bullets and build a new front sight before the first range trip.

Here for the meltdowns
CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Steve,

I was re-reading old posts to re-engage on getting my 500 BPE 3” to regulate and wondered how your restoration and load work was going.

My earlier attempts with the Dickson were horrible and after trying my EM Reilly 450 BPE out and having very promising results, I’m ready to start again with the 500.

Chris

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Hi Chris,
I need to work on loads more myself. Old eyes and no time for personal projects. The gun cleaned up beautifully, I made a new front sight for it. I need to work on loads this spring and sent the barrels off to my engraver for a bit of work before bluing. I did find a nice oak and leather case for it with the proper trade label. Now that I sold my little Henry .360 double I need to get this one up and going.

That Reilly .450 is a real looker. Is it the one that was listed on gunbroker for a long time a couple of years ago?

Steve

Here for the meltdowns
CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Reilly was on GB awhile back. It was definitely on there earlier this year. As it had sat for quite a while, I purchased it for a different price than what it was listed for as a starting bid. It's a very nice rifle. Quite trim in many ways. The buttplate is steel with scroll engraving and very effective cross hatched grooves.

Good luck with your load development. I just picked up a bunch more 500 brass so I can load more variations before heading to the range. Hoping to accelerate this trial and error.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF,

I saw this gun in Mar 2021. Steve's work on the stock and barrels looks great. Steve was still working on the sight and loads at that time. I was shooting a 450/400 bpe and the 500 bpe is a lot more thunder than the 450/400. Of course, Steve was shooting BP loads and was using NfB loads.

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 03/15/22 11:13 PM.
1 member likes this: CJF

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.