March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Trespassers and permissioned hunters canNOT sue landowners here. Nice law about that.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did not do anything beyond calling the game warden. He did it all. If he did not know who they were, they would have gotten away with it. I did back him and agree to press charges. Land owners need to back the wardens if you want their help.

I just got off the phone with him and he said that the "ring leader" drove past the field I was shooting and made sure I was using that field which is about ten mile away. He planned this and so did the rest. I have four fields this year of which two are very good, one average and one almost a total write off. Rain can be so hit or miss and two inches of rain at the right time can be the difference.

My wife did point out that for the money and time I invest each year I could just fly down to Argentina and shoot ten times the doves. I hate it when she uses logic on me. But I would rather have multiple places to go here and try to take multiple hunting partners, who just do not have the chance to go anywhere other than $175/day pay places, or over hunted state land with hunters every 20 yards apart shooting birds over each others shooting positions. Two years ago I had almost fifty different shooting guest. Last year was a off year so the number was less than half that. Now this year, my third best field is almost burned out. Perhaps we can shoot it next Saturday, if enough bird return to use it.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, I agree with your position. He stole from you. It wasn't just a turkey hunter coming across the line by a few feet and killing a bird; it took some nerve for him to have 9 folks accompany him. It's outrageous and as brazen a trespass I've heard of. I'm surprised he didn't have barbecue afterwards near the field. Next year you might think about putting out a well-hidden game camera to see if anyone comes in and spite baits the field. I'd also have the warden check your fields a few days before the season. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

The laws changed last year due to the rampant theft in rural areas. Now petty trespass can get a $25,000 fine in Alberta.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe come up with a number of what you think your losses are and see if the culprits are amenable vs the legal route?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Maybe come up with a number of what you think your losses are and see if the culprits are amenable vs the legal route?

"He who goes to the law takes a wolf by the ear."...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

???
Not sure how to interpret that.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is a variation of a famous Latin verse. "Auribus teneo lupum", i.e. holding a wolf by it’s ears, as one would express this in Latin reflects encountering a problem or a difficulty that has yet to be overcome. However whichever path you take, whatever you do, difficulties are to be met. The proverb illuminates the fact that sometimes there are no perfect solutions to a problem, sometimes there are no solutions at all.

Also a similar verse is attributed to Jefferson. In his version it was "either hold or let go, justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other”. Or you could be referring to "He Who Goes to Law Takes a Wolf by the Ears". Hunter S. Thompson. I am sure others have used that basic thought. I also know of one Serbian version.

I think that in this case, George is warning me that this is a double edged sword. If I did not report them they would certainly just do it again whenever they thought they could get away with it. Or the reverse side is that since I did report them, they could retaliate against me in some way. But I can not be parallelized by double think.

Just like a thief often cases his planned location, these fellows cased mine. They confirmed that I was elsewhere and almost certain to remain there. Who moves off opening day? If the birds are late, you just wait and hope.

Interesting the breadth of knowledge, history and experiences shared here. Sad that I knew this and so many other total worthless, in practical terms, thing and often need to stop and remember why I went into a room for something. Keys move themselves and a hundred dead phone numbers or bank account numbers still come into my mind. But a term I found interesting 50+ years ago still bounces around as well. Funny world.

Last edited by KY Jon; 09/06/20 10:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

???
Not sure how to interpret that.

Ancient legal saying as explained by Ky Jon. If you ever have the misfortune to get involved in a law suit, you will understand completely...Geo

By the way I'd have handled the situation same as Jon did.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 09/06/20 12:03 PM. Reason: added final sentence
pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is in a way difficult to manage your own land when so many want access to it to hunt. Friends etc. approach you and as Kyjon said there are consequences if it turns ugly. As I said in an earlier page I closed my land years ago to hunters not to be mean only because they gave me no choice. I would let the Dove hunters in with the caution of picking up their empty hull as the cattle will pick them up and swallow them.[completely ignored] Don't hunt the land [field] behind the house found a hunter in my stand behind the house. no four wheelers to tear up the fields. Guess what? A friend comes to me to borrow a tracter because his sons truck is bogged down in the middle of one of the fields. [How do you handle this 5 o'clock in the morning guess what he was doing???] I was given no choice but to close it to all and not get into a pissing contest with my neighbors and hard feelings. Oh I'm not a mean land owner I did give permission to a neighbors son this past season and the first evening of his hunt i heard an awful racket of gun fire he had an AK47 with a 30 round clip. we don't speak any more. Kyjon really explained it perfectly.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.