April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, GSPWillie, Kolar Dickson, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 448 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure, but it appears your 39 might be blued over the color cased receiver, and lever? If so, that will hurt value quite a bit. Bolts and hammers were blued, but not receivers and levers.
If this is cold blue, then rust remover will take it off and leave whatever case colors were underneath. I've done this on old Marlins that were blued, and if they didn't polish the metal first they come out fine. Even when hot blued the bluing still comes off and leaves whatever case colors were there.
Looks like your 39 had a tang sight also,as those screws are sight base screws, and not the usual factory plug screws.
And your barrel has the "Corporation" rollstamp, so it's one assembled soon after Frank Kenna bought Marlin from bankruptcy, and those barrels were used for a year or two until they switched to the newer rollstamp. Yours also has the Marlin "Bullseye" in the stock that started around 1924, and was used up until the Depression.
Some bolts were replaced by the factory to High Speed, but your great picture shows yours still has the low velocity style bolt, so standard velocity, or target velocity ammo should be the only ammo fired in it.
If this gun had strong original case colors they go in the $1500-$1800 range. If there's bluing over the case colors it's half as much. If the wood finish is non original, then that's a little less. But yours appears to be the high sheen used then, and wood to metal fit looks great too.

Joe503 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes.. you are correct. The gun was blued over and the stock refinished as well. That was my fault. I received the rifle when i was 16 from my grandfather. And a young 16 year old did not know any better, and i thought a shiny looking gun was thing to have. Anyway i do recall this was done with a sporting goods store rifle refnishing kit that i had purchased 38 years ago. I will probably never part with the rifle. I was more interested in the history of the rifle and its potential "original" worth. Thank you guys for all the responses, i learned alot about the history of the Marlin 39 smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since it was blued over using a cold blue, you could likely remove it with good results, unless you sanded it first? This is a deluxe 1894 Marlin I removed the hot bluing from. Not a lot of case color left, but I think it looks better than the "purple" hot bluing did.

Before:

After:

Joe503 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks. I am going to try Birchwood Casey Blue And Rust Remover too see if that brings it back

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.