Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 52 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 51 52
Sidelock
Sidelock

to help question date of the earliest:

Last edited by AaronN; 09/10/20 11:17 AM.

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
Sidelock
Sidelock

And a couple 15g shells to go with that earlier gun:

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a wonderful display, Aaron, and can we assume the number on the Reilly is the date that Reilly began to make that pinfire cartridge ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, Argo44, here is another good 1856 supporting document for you:

This is from the 1856 issue of Dod's peerage, baronetage and knightage of Great Britain and Ireland

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 1856 Reilly 15 bore SxS rifle 10054 went for £2,750 - a lot of money for a pin-fire but that is a historic gun I think. Did anyone here bid on it?

And thanks Aaron. I had that ad but had it dated to the 1857 edition of the Knitage and peerage of GB and Ireland. I'll have to check that out. If the same ad was in the 1856 version, that puts Reilly and "Fusil à Bascule" back another 10 months.

Great find on the Law Times...that moves Reilly pin-fire breech loading ads back another couple of months. It'll force me to change the history ...again...but that the purpose of the board. Thanks again.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/10/20 12:49 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, an ad in The Law times on August 16, 1856

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A lot to comment on today...

Mark, welcome to the world of pinfires. Like with any 150+ year-old guns, finding ones in shootable condition is not easy. As you've now read from this thread, they were never made in large quantities, and most were converted to centre-fire, or scrapped for iron.

There are no commercial sources for prepared pinfire cartridges, but some have very good success with all-brass reusable cases, which can be ordered from European sources. I've tried them in the past with varying success, but I blame my limited knowledge of reloading, rather than the cases.

"...what is the earliest existing UK made pin-fire center-break gun that you know of?"

Argo44, the Reilly 1856-dated gun pictured above is the earliest I've seen illustrated, for which a date can be corroborated.

Unfortunately the Joseph Lang records do not go back earlier than January 1858, so it is not possible to know from the records exactly when Lang started building his pinfire, or what number it carried. Looking at photographs in print, the facts get confusing, as it is not possible to know how the authors determined the age of the guns pictured. In Geoffrey Boothroyd's Shotguns and Gunsmiths (1986), there is a Lang pinfire "of 1852" pictured on page 150.

In several books it is implied or stated that Lang's breech-loader appeared shortly after the Great Exhibition of 1851 closed its doors (October 1851), for example, John Henry Walsh, writing in his book The Shot-Gun and Sporting Rifle (1859), stated that Lang's pinfire appeared in 1851. In Richard Akehurst's Game Guns and Rifles (1969), it is stated that Lang's pinfire appeared a few months after the Exhibition --which might be a repeat of Walsh's statement, I don't know.

However, from Lang's own account, he wrote in January 1857 that he had been using his breech-loader for three years -- which would indicate 1854 as the earliest appearance. This is partly confirmed by a contemporary of Lang, Henry Astbury Leveson, "The Old Shekarry", in his book The Hunting Grounds of the Old World (3rd edition, 1865), where he wrote:

"My experience in breech-loading arms for sporting purposes dates back to the year 1855, when my attention was attracted to the La Faucheux [sic] system by that excellent shot and practical mechanic, Mr. Lang, of 'Old Red House' notoriety, to whom the English sporting world is indebted for the efficient carrying out of a principle which is almost as great an era in gun-making as the invention of the copper cap. After two years' experience and repeated trials, in which, to my disgust, I found my favourite Manton, and others of my hardest-hitting muzzle-loading guns, equalled or beaten by breech-loaders made by Lang, my scepticism vanished; I felt convinced the system was sound, and that sooner or later a complete revolution must take place in the manufacture of fire-arms."

If Joseph Lang by his own account was first using his breech-loader in 1854-1855, there cannot be Lang pinfires dating from 1851-1852! I tend to believe 1854 is the most credible date, which would make it possible for a Reilly pinfire to date as early as 1855, to go with AaronN's 1855-marked Reilly-stamped cartridge. Blanch followed suit in 1856 by his own account, and that would account for the three earliest promoters of the pinfire in Britain.

Steve, the variation in gun markings on Powell guns is utterly fascinating -- particularly the part about Powell providing incorrect information on his own guns (if anyone has a copy of Donald Dallas's book The British Sporting Gun and Rifle (2008), the full list of markings provided by gunmakers in 1887 is included in its Appendix Three). Only by research focusing on a single maker is it possible to know such things.

AaronN, as usual your cartridge information really adds to our understanding of the bigger picture.

Last edited by Steve Nash; 02/04/21 06:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
The 1856 Reilly 15 bore SxS rifle 10054 went for £2,750 - a lot of money for a pin-fire but that is a historic gun I think. Did anyone here bid on it?

Someone picked up a wonderful gun. Pinfire rifles definitely carry a premium, which is why I never collected them. I've seen cased pinfire rifles selling for a lot more, and a 1856-dated British pinfire is highly unusual. I've never encountered any pre-1858 pinfire game guns myself, and now that I'm retired there is no way for me to afford any that might come up.

I have a few British pinfires in my collection for which I am fairly confident date from around 1860 or slightly earlier, but none that can be proven as such. The number of pre-1860 pinfires made was probably in the low hundreds, and maybe even less than 100 prior to the Field trial of 1858.

Last edited by Steve Nash; 09/10/20 10:13 PM. Reason: Precision
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AaronN
to help question date of the earliest:

AaronN, do you know if these were made for Reilly on contract by Gevelot? I'm not aware of any British-made pinfire cartridges before 1857?? My information might be wrong on that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think the best source on Lang is Lang's own pamphlet one would think. Early 1854 for Lang's first center-break gun would fit with urban legend.

I've asked Diggory Hadoke for his observations on where early pin-fires might be squirreled away in museums or something. Still, that rifle (and given the number of "marker dates" and "sanity checks" grouped around it, I'm very confident that it's dated to within a couple of months), was something.

I'm really curious about AaronN's observation on the Reilly cartridge above. I also will start with an assumption that it was contracted from France. But Aaron has come up with a lot of very good investigative reporting.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/10/20 08:14 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 26 of 52 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.