Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
#5794 10/17/06 11:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

MP...Did you ever see the John Amber Auction Catalogue? I belive A few of Johns 'Creedmore'Rifles,(That survived the Barn fire)sold for 'very little money'. I worked on several Sharps S/S,A Borchard(sp)S/S. He had a fantastic collection of'Set triggers' some still in the 'white'I think I still have one set that I was going to fit into a Winchester 'Lo-Wall' for him,but he died.I think JA wrote several articals on the S/S rifles in his collection. I imported some of the 1st Martin Hargen(sp)S/S actions for him,,This could become the New"Doublegunshop&SingleShot.com(Lots of Single Shot Shotguns out there)!! C/C

#5795 10/17/06 11:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by crossedchisles:
This could become the New"Doublegunshop&SingleShot.com(Lots of Single Shot Shotguns out there)!! C/C
You bet it could. There would be room for such a forum, although the ASSRA forum does cover this to some extent.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

#5796 10/17/06 01:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by crossedchisles:
MP...Did you ever see the John Amber Auction Catalogue? I belive A few of Johns 'Creedmore'Rifles,(That survived the Barn fire)sold for 'very little money'. I worked on several Sharps S/S,A Borchard(sp)S/S. He had a fantastic collection of'Set triggers' some still in the 'white'I think I still have one set that I was going to fit into a Winchester 'Lo-Wall' for him,but he died.I think JA wrote several articals on the S/S rifles in his collection. I imported some of the 1st Martin Hargen(sp)S/S actions for him,,This could become the New"Doublegunshop&SingleShot.com(Lots of Single Shot Shotguns out there)!! C/C
David,
My friends got together and paid my way to the Amber auction in Hyannis, MA. I examined and bid on what they wanted and bought a couple of things for myself. Very exciting five days, John had a wonderful collection. I don’t remember anything going cheap, we all felt that we and everyone else way overpaid, hindsight shows there were some outstanding deals. Two months ago I bought a rifle for about ten times what I stopped bidding on it at the auction for.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

#5797 10/17/06 02:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful stuff, this. In 1959, the Public Library in downtown Toledo, O had many, many of the pre-war classic authors and books. Visiting columns like this one is like visiting with old comfortable friends, whom I haven't seen in some while.

These fellows and their world was a enchanted forest to me, and still is. What an age of craftsman and visionaries. True, we have our own contemporary excellence, but those fellows are still a measure of the rifleman.

From the above posts it seems that world of SS is alive and well. Happy days, indeed. BTW, aren't thos shooting sticks a hechuva lot classier than a foldaway bi-pod? Bi-pods are great on the stainless and synthetic shooting machines, but for real blue steel, case, and walnut what could be better that antique design?

As for being an antique, this string got me to thinking that my Single-shot Rifle Exchange and Single Shot Journals have been good friends. But active interests evolve, and I think that it's in the measure of time that they move onto a more active shooter's hands.

Best Regards to the SS Clan,

Relax; we're all experts here.
#5798 10/17/06 04:09 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John,

My core interest has always been the early shooters and custom makers of single-shot rifles. Back in MY good old days the ASSRA was sort of a collection of folks who were trying to preserve the history of Schuetzen and other single-shot rifles. Although it has grown the focus has changed so much I don’t even recognize it anymore. I guess this rearview mirror view comes with age. I think that it would safe to say that many more modern single-shot replicas have been made than originals. The sport is alive and doing well.

Shooting sticks or anything from Niedner’s shop were special as far as I’m concerned, but then I’m a little one sided on the issue. As well as the shooting sticks Niedner made telescope mounts on the same principal, I have his and it has an attachment that fits a Model-T mirror bracket.

#5799 10/17/06 04:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can you stand more shooting-stick pictures? These are from a 1912 & 1918 chuck hunt in NY. I don’t know who the man and boy are with Niedner, from his photo album.

#5800 10/17/06 05:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,

Do you have Niedners photo album or copies?

Mike
#5801 10/17/06 05:30 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Utah Shotgunner:
Michael,

Do you have Niedners photo album or copies?
I have his photo album.

#5802 10/17/06 06:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very cool.

I don't know how you guys that have been at this for 30+ years did it before the internet. There are only 24 hours in a day.....

Mike
#5803 10/18/06 01:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

I was pawing through some books and came across that picture of the gang of four in front of the car in "The Breech-Loading Single Shot Rifle" by Roberts/ Waters. The caption under the picture reads, in part:

--------------------------------

Four of the most noted rifle experts on a woodchuck shoot at Shushan, New York, in May 1911.

-------------------------------

The book also has a picture, not too good, of a Zischang Borchardt with a DST. It appears that the trigger is different than what is normally seen. It looks like the original lever shape has been retained and the rear setting trigger is longer and set right close to the back of the trigger bow.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.