March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (dukxdog, SKB, Marc Ret, Argo44, LGF, Ian Forrester), 837 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
#580048 09/16/20 04:58 PM
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is Dutch Mannlicher M1895 made by Steyr in 1896. Just starting and will probably take better part of the coming year. (A new barrel from Kreiger will take 4-5 months itself). Many proposed changes like new bolt handle, change to 7x57 rimmed, all new sights (front, 3-4 leaf express, and a new design for a peep sight similar to the Lyman 36 which I will make), I hope to modify the magazine system to a detachable 5 shot magazine, double set triggers, and of course a new stock. Its a tall order and I expect this list to be dynamic as this project is just for me and my wants.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will be interested in your progress. There are 5 (or 6?) of those Dutch rifles here at Casa Hoot. Two are sporters. I do like them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fun project, I've been on the look out for one myself. A Mclaughlin peep sight seems interesting, and I may just go ahead and order one to gather parts. I can't get enough of those early 6.5's so the 53mmR it will stay for me. I might get lucky, but figuring on a rebarrel. I'm curious what you do for the set triggers and your magazine idea. I'm looking at maybe a top loading mod. so the lines stay the same, but it doesn't drop the clip. Thanks for showing it.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
..... A Mclaughlin peep sight seems interesting,.....

The Rigby type peeps are certainly interesting and handsome and would be a fine choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF,
Suggest you look at Recknagle's offerings for express sights, double set triggers, claw mounts, etc. for your project. The Rigby peep sight, and other "striker mounted sights", look nice, but slow lock time down. Recknagel has a website.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice project,,love the Mannlicher rifles.

I'd include the small spring loaded 'door' on the bottom of the existing magazine system to capture the expended enbloc clip. Often seen on the GEW88 sporters, I've seen them on the Mannlicher sporters as well.
That keeps the magazine & feed system in tact. IMO that's much of the charm of the rifle to begin with.

I have a sporter carbine built on a Romanian M93 Mannlicher.
A betw the Wars build as it was a bring-back souvenier from WW2.

It has DST and they cut on the orig trigger guard and inserted a shotgun style trigger guard to lock into it to give the extra room for them.
It also gives a nice look to the now full stock carbine.

I can dig it out and post some pics of the carbine and the DST & how they worked over the trigger guard(s) if you'd like.
Just gives another way of doing things, maybe some ideas for you.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
I can dig it out and post some pics of the carbine and the DST & how they worked over the trigger guard(s) if you'd like.
Just gives another way of doing things, maybe some ideas for you.

Always interested in how someone else resolved the design issue. I will look forward to seeing the pics. Thanks

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I had one in the shop that had a Fraser patent trigger. I should have taken pics but failed to do so. I know the owner of the rifle well and will see if he may have time to take pictures.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
...."striker mounted sights", look nice, but slow lock time down. Recknagel has a website.
Mike

No doubt about it, sun dial slow. I have other rifles that are really good with their lock time, its just for appearance. The McLaughlin sight is a quality piece at a very fair price, most decent single shot tang sights are a good twice as much. I like the British sporting bolt rifle look and this action is a classic for a fun project?

Last edited by craigd; 09/17/20 01:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like it will be a great project, I liked your Lyman 36 copy and think one would look great on this rifle. Cocking piece sights are cool looking, but by the 1930's, gunsmiths like Clyde Baker and J.V. Howe weren't particularly keen on them. It was the combination of slower lock time and the play in the cocking piece.

I hope that you will post a lot of pictures of the progress along the way.

Here, I am working on something similar, a sporter based on the Portuguese Vergueiro action, but progress is glacial.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.