March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dan brought this rifle to my attention and both of us were
surprised at the final price. We wondered if we were missing something. What are your thoughts on this rifle?

Custom 1903 target rifle on gunbroker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the bidders must have called to ask the name of the owner. Maybe he turned out to be someone of repute. The Hoffman bolt peep is a great feature.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How many schuetzen bolt rifles do you see? Not many. It is a dfferent sort of rifle, that's certain. Sort of crazy to shoot that game with a .30-06 though.

I do not believe it would be a legally competitive rifle in today's schuetzen.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
Boxlock

So many neat "doo-dads" on that rifle. I bid to $910...I was going to bid more until I went back to the page and saw it was, at that time, just shy of $2k.

Really quite surprised it went THAT high!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
How many schuetzen bolt rifles do you see? Not many. It is a dfferent sort of rifle, that's certain. Sort of crazy to shoot that game with a .30-06 though.

I do not believe it would be a legally competitive rifle in today's schuetzen.

No arguement from me, but that was my thought when you mentioned your club runs 'schuetzen' matches useing 45-70 and 45-90's? There's no schuetzen butt plate or stock, maybe it's just someone's version of an off hand rifle?

Sidelock
Sidelock

So true, but one shoots what one has when starting out in Schuetzen. I would not make a purpose-built Schuetzen rifle in .45-100 or .30-06, and that is a purpose built schuetzen.

That is a schuetzen buttplate sitting there.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

If anything I think that rifle was a bargain its meant for free / Olympic shooting not a schuetzen rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this a Winchester Sniper Rifle? Prior to the model 54, Winchester built bolt rifles on Springfield actions. The 54 came out in ‘25 so if this is a ‘24 rifle that would be an option. The final bid would not be out of line for a Winchester sniper rifle.

At first look, I thought it may have been a Pope barrel because it’s so long, but clearly marked Winchester.

Interesting cover over the 48 cutout, 30” barrel, and integral scope mounts. Very cool rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, its a just winchester barrel, Remington, Pope, Neidner, Hoffman etc sold these "Style T" style barrels commercially for people building free rifles. The devoplement of these rifles is covered pretty in depth in brophys book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too was interested until it got out of hand, maybe the 2 bidders thought it was one of the Springfield made '03s which used Winch, Rem and Pope barrels. But it is the wrong serial range for those, the DST triggers are not what Springfield used as they never used an enlarged TG bow. It has an NRA sporter stock which was remodeled but the receiver isn't a sporter.
I do have a 22 Springfield with the same DST trigger set up and the same checkering pattern and brass BP that was made by Ross King but it has his typical little roller on the sear which this gun does not have. The DST is from a Mauser and the longer TG bow was welded together with the front of a Springfield TG and it has the holes for the same palm rest base as the subject rifle. That was why I was bidding until iot got out of hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.