March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My 16 gauge Reilly with a Scott Climax action (early 1886) has developed a problem. Occasionally when I shoot the right barrel, the gun unlocks very slightly. Left trigger will not pull (thank goodness) until I relook the barrels. Scott Climax actions are not easy. I'll ask David Trevallion for a recommendation but who else in the USA could take a look at it. It's become my favorite gun.

The Reilly was discussed here (with pictures):
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=557199&page=1

Last edited by Argo44; 09/22/20 06:38 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

kirk merrington

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with Philips gunsmithing, he is the smartest action guy I have found in 50 years of searching. 210-313-5988

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scott Climax action is actually pretty simple, nothing complicated about it at all. Youre in Virginia, send it to Gunter Pfrommer in Rocky Mount. Hes a Ferlach trainer Gunmaker. Cant hardly get much better than that.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dustin, And thanks for the NC suggestion. I'll contact him and drive down to Rocky Mount. The Mask Nazi's here are driving me crazy and my French wife recently threatened me with the guillotine - she can't breath with a mask and the French character takes over...I need to get away.

I've been in a conversation with a very well-known UK gunsmith about Reilly and the Scott Climax action. He believes it was too complicated and would have been too expensive for any London gunmaker to build it himself, and that its existence by definition, even with a patent use number and no Scott number anywhere on it, means Scott built it. I'm not sure of this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewy Vicknair in PA and Dan Morgan in VT have both worked on Scott Climax actions and on climax actions under other name brands. You could also call Guy Davies of Holland in Dallas and ask who he recommends. He was very helpful for me when Holland was in NYC. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Dustin, And thanks for the NC suggestion. I'll contact him and drive down to Rocky Mount. The Mask Nazi's here are driving me crazy and my French wife recently threatened me with the guillotine - she can't breath with a mask and the French character takes over...I need to get away.

I've been in a conversation with a very well-known UK gunsmith about Reilly and the Scott Climax action. He believes it was too complicated and would have been too expensive for any London gunmaker to build it himself, and that its existence by definition, even with a patent use number and no Scott number anywhere on it, means Scott built it. I'm not sure of this.

Gene, Gunter is in Rocky Mount , Va. not the one in North Click.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I looked him up on line. Rocky Mount, Va and Rocky Mount, NC are about the same distance from Northern VA - It's a beautiful drive down to that area, if you stay off I-81.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I drove down today and dropped the 16 bore off at Gunter's - in the middle of no-where. Impressive fellow; fun to talk to; knows his stuff. Found a couple of other things to check (ejector problem in right barrel and stiff back trigger pull. Before going I called called David Trevallion who opined about the problem - weak spring? He wanted me to drive up to Maine for him to take a look at the gun - 1,000 miles vs 280. Next time. Thanks again. Dustin.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.