April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (J.B.Patton, SKB, oskar, David Williamson, Wild Skies, battle), 190 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,712
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Replacement #580501 09/23/20 04:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
And some guys like to use black powder in paper hulls for old hammer doubles with composite barrels and ungainly stock dimensions. Don't they realize that modern gas semi-autos are better tools for shooting birds or clays?

Never mind...

None of us is any more than a temporary curator. Judging from the condition of a great deal of the older fowling implements out there, a lot of curators should have been doing something else. Your Vaseline is a liquid at about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and will not be staying on the metal as a lubricant, rather, it will be making its way to the wood, no doubt bringing untold joy to whoever follows you as curator, as he will get to post here on what to do about oil saturated lumber. If you believe Three In One oil compares to the performance of any synthetic lube at any temps, you are quite wrong. The difference between your old black powder guns and an autoloader is nobody will care what the autoloader looks like or how well it was cared for in 150 years.

Be a good curator.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a good curator, as my guns would indicate. There are better products than 3-in-1 and vaseline, but those work if you keep up with your maintenance. I also like Mobil one and CLP, and a lot of things in between.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
What Dustin said.

I cant help but notice that nobody here ever asks if they should run straight, non detergent 30W turn of the century vintage oil in their modern 2 stroke engines. Or, straight non detergent 30 weight oil in their new, twin turbo pickup engine. Just mix it up like they used to do when Grandpa was a little kid. A lot of engineering time has been spent in the last 125 years improving sheer, anti corrosion, EP qualities, improvements in ester chain length and strength, etc, etc, etc, and we still have guys that want to use 3 in 1 and Vaseline.

Ick.

Best,
Ted

You know, I agree- when talking about using motor oil from 1900 in a truck motor designed in 2010, you make perfect sense. I run into this with 2 motorcycles: one from 1983 and the other from 2005. My 70s Malibu seemed happiest with 10w30, my 2008 pickup requires 5w20, and both my son's 2010 car and my wife's 2020 car require 0w20. I would never dream of using basic 30w from 1900 in any of them.

These engines were actually designed differently, with different dimensions in oil passages and piston/cylinder wall gap, as well as bearing gaps. This requires different oil.

However, if we were talking about a Ford Model T, Stutz Bearcat, Stanley Steamer, or even a Maxwell, I would be more interested in the old oil you described- as it would match the tolerances for the engines of that era.

When talking about lubricants on a 1907 Browning Auto-5, or a 1911 Stevens 520, or a 1915 Parker Trojan, or a 1921 Winchester Model 12, it seems completely normal to discuss what they used for lubricant then.

I wouldn't hesitate to use 3 in 1 on my Parker or even a Auto-5. I am not saying that there aren't better lubes out there, but I wouldn't worry about it if that was all I had.

Yet, I would be more likely to not try 3-in-1 on a Remington V3 or Beretta Outlander. Especially for stuff with plastics inside.

I even have to be careful even on my 1950s High Standard Supermatic, due to the plastic firing pin sleeve and cleaners that will erode/dissolve them- despite the manual saying to soak it in kerosene to clean it.

Classic 'field' SxS's are what draw me in- that way I can have more than one!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been using Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil, but hated the smell. So, I recently switched to M1 15w50. For grease, I've been using Super Lube synthetic with teflon, which is white and won't stain clothes when you rub a double against them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am switching my "wipe-down" oil to Hornady One Shot, which will also be my quick bore wipe, based on this corrosion test.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

I had been using RemOil because it was thin and helped with quick bore cleaning and protection. But the test showed RemOil was a poor protectant and it's not the greatest cleaner either. So,I decided to move on to One Shot.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/11/20 04:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting that test, Chuck. Hard to find any holes in his testing procedures.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Hornady now refers to that test on their website.

I only chose RemOil in the past because it was easily available locally. Then I started using a rag with 3in1 that I was keeping in the safe, mainly because I had a can. But, I like the idea of longer protection with the Hornady One Shot, if I were to get caught in the rain or forget to wipe guns down on a longer trip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me, too, Chuck. I will definitely be ordering a couple cans.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I note they apparently changed the spray version of RemOil.

It has almost a foaming action now which I don't care for.

I'm not throwing my 2 cans out, but when it's used up I'll try something different. It may be doomed anyway. Nobody is going to buy any more of this new crap.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Replacement
And some guys like to use black powder in paper hulls for old hammer doubles with composite barrels and ungainly stock dimensions. Don't they realize that modern gas semi-autos are better tools for shooting birds or clays?

Never mind...

None of us is any more than a temporary curator. Judging from the condition of a great deal of the older fowling implements out there, a lot of curators should have been doing something else. Your Vaseline is a liquid at about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and will not be staying on the metal as a lubricant, rather, it will be making its way to the wood, no doubt bringing untold joy to whoever follows you as curator, as he will get to post here on what to do about oil saturated lumber. If you believe Three In One oil compares to the performance of any synthetic lube at any temps, you are quite wrong. The difference between your old black powder guns and an autoloader is nobody will care what the autoloader looks like or how well it was cared for in 150 years.

Be a good curator.

Best,
Ted

I have carefully disassembled, generally not completely,but enough to get to sears, pivot point, wear surfaces, cleaned, degreased, the applied what I think is high grade synthetic lube, be it grease, usually Superlube, or oil, Mobil 1 10w30, seems to work well on just about everything, vintage guns or modern semi auto's.

JJK
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.