March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, SKB, Argo44, 3 invisible), 375 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that 1909 date pairs with the >>mm<< stamps and had the longarm been subject to the new 1911 Z-M Rules(not law)(1912-Suhl) then there would have been a chamber length associated. It could have been a little earlier but I just do not think it would date to the late 1880s.

I still cannot put my hands on references for the novel rear frame centre pivot point for the scears for the A&D Body Action platform. There is some advantage to it. I do know it has been discussed on at least 1 thread. But all the German makers less say H.A. Lindner waited until the patent protection period for the A&D Body Action(lower scears) to expire then they adopted the A&D Body Action and the Kerner-Anson followed & became a Suhl staple.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Admitting that I haven't seen all of them, I don't think I have ever a proof house date and ledger number on a rib, rather than a barrel. I have seen several bore diameters marked in mm with out case length on Suhl proofed guns( mostly Sauer made, maybe happenstance).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Between say 1903(empirically derived)& 1912(Rules change date) most of Z-M's doubles had their proof date & ledger number on the lower rib.

Cheers,

Rainey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...true#Post200806

Here's another W. Foerster that has those 2 water-table screws.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Besides W. Förster, the following would have peddled similar examples & it seems that they may have ordered a gesteck or parts kit from their Belgian counterparts(like DUCO) and have it completed in Zella - Mehlis or less often Suhl. They made more money this way.

F.W. Vandrey

O. Geyger

J.J. Reeb

Ludwig Schiwy

I may have missed a couple so I'll check further.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Fuhrmann - I think so too. The Archducal Coronet is similar to the Prince's Hat but there are subtle differences. Looking at an enlarged version of the image on this gun sure looks like the Prince's Hat to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree to "Fürstenkrone" or "Fürstenhut":

...and there were a lot in Europe at that time....

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Wolfgang - I assumed there were many as well. But it seems this Prince's Hat is specific to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and only certain lands within.

The detail that narrows the possibilities further yet is the "R" initial, of course. In fact, I can't find a possibility during 1909.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some resurrected info on ole Wilhelm Förster:

>>W. Foerster was a master gunsmith and a supplier to the Royal Court of Carl(1801-1883) von Preussen from 50 Tauben Strasse 50, Ecke Der Kanonier Strasse, or what I think to mean as also being at/near the corner of Cannon Street. Carl von Preussen was the 3rd son of King Friedrich William III of Prussian. Carl had 5 sisters one of them being Charlotte of Prussia, who had a very close relationship with Carl von Preussen demonstrated by her caring for Carl even after she was wed to Tsar Nicholas I of Russian. Carl von Preussen attended her coronation to the title of Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna. Carl von Preussen visited Russian several times and this is the social network/connection that allowed W. Foerster to be a firearms merchant/supplier to kings and Tsars. Firearms merchants with a royal appointment or being interconnected to the court seems to really elevate the status of the maker/supplier in the eyes of many & the firearms merchant touts that thru advertising. W. Foerster seems to have had such a following in Russia. But W. Foerster hit the jackpot with his royal warrant/supplier to the Royal Court of Carl von Preussen as Carl took the military route for his ascension and by 1824 he had the rank of Major-General which was a stepping stone for head of artillery by the 1850s. Carl looks to have had a great interest in hunting and passed the passion by purchasing the Glienicke hunting lodge for his son Prince Friedrich Karl, which was yet another source for W. Foerster to supply.<<

>>Finally, after searching & searching I finally stumbled across a late 1872 advert of W. Foerster touting his dubbed title of HofBüchsenmacher. So by 1871, or very early 1872, W. Foerster received his Royal Warrant while at Berlin Taubenstraße 45.<<

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=206187&page=all

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Totally off the subject with the only connection being that of being a firearms merchant in Berlin, but
Büchsenmacher Paul & Anggelika Kleszczewski/Kleszewski of Berlin advertised as having a factory when in reality all Paul had was 2 foot powered lathes in the small basement(7m X 27m) of their home. The Verband Deutscher Büchsenmacher took his license for unfair advertising by allowed Paul's wife to continue. Too, Paul was a Hungarian in Berlin that survived for quite some time. A good read on Dietrich's website where the most astute custodian Larry Schuknecht maintains quite a depth of German info on the website.

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/kleszczewski-a-berlin/

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.