Print Thread
Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have hunted ducks with a double of one sort or another since 1985. But, I was given a gun with a lot of family history, a 1956 Sweet Sixteen, and used it some for duck hunting. It just seems that an Auto-5 is the quintessential waterfowl gun. Anyway, it's become my September gun. I've been deadly with it all year but missed twice on the only draw I had on Monday. When I remembered the third shell the second bird was already mid-river. The bismuth #5's proved deadly...

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well, took a half day off work to do some hunting around the home place. Went to one of my local honey holes and it sure paid off. Lady luck was with me today. Started out at 1pm and was done by 1:45.

Got a single within 15 minutes and was able to get a double when a covey of about 10-12 flushed. Sure was fun.

My 18 month old GSP Addie did very well today, nice retrieves and worked the birds just fine. Very happy with her!

Used my 16ga FN

Addie taking it easy after the hunt

And...Addie again!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rubberhead
I have hunted ducks with a double of one sort or another since 1985. But, I was given a gun with a lot of family history, a 1956 Sweet Sixteen, and used it some for duck hunting. It just seems that an Auto-5 is the quintessential waterfowl gun. Anyway, it's become my September gun. I've been deadly with it all year but missed twice on the only draw I had on Monday. When I remembered the third shell the second bird was already mid-river. The bismuth #5's proved deadly...

Great pic! I had an opportunity to own an 16ga A5 recently, and shot it at some skeet. That mechanical auto action really takes some getting used to. Once I figured it out though, I started hitting with it. Neat guns for sure, and quintessentially American.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finished working on my H&H 16, and took her out Monday for a spin, with her first shots on birds, resulting in two stoned roosters. Very happy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We just got back from the Sandhills, where Mocha completed his first three dog bucket list items: get sprayed by a skunk, step on a snake, and get a nose full of porcupine quills.

Bird numbers were a little thin, but Kirk was still able to get some in the bag. Mocha pitched in on the locating and retrieve, his first sharpies.

It was very warm, and the dogs were carefully watched, watered, and rested

Especially on the way home:

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well today was the resident opener here in ND.  It was a successful one for myself and my son Jim.  We each limited out with our 6 birds a piece plus I got an additional 2 Bluewing Teal, for a total of 8 for myself.  Jim didn't want to shoot his extra Teal and was happy with his regular bag limit.  In fact he limited first, he even got a great double today.  Darn proud of that boy!

So, here are a couple pics from today.

Jim with his birds.  He was using a 12ga Brittany (made by Zabala)

My birds.  I was using my 12ga Merkel 147E

Best,  

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
Looks like a fantastic opener indeed!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ducks are about... A few succumbed to my Cashmoor hammer gun. In fact, I didn't miss any at all - unusual for me.

Gus would rather be pheasant hunting. Only 4 wks away.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like the season is off to a good start!

And thanks to David Williamson for his comment a page or so back! I should check here more often

Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.