April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (AaronN, Karl Graebner, David Williamson, 3 invisible), 231 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,034
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom was still testing loads as of 5/2019
Best to call first - 815-451-6649
Send a check with the shells, and do NOT mail via USPS
1108 W. May Ave, McHenry, IL 60051

And if using fibre wads, use the best. Old, stiff, hard (non-compressible) wads can increase pressure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

And if using fibre wads, use the best. Old, stiff, hard (non-compressible) wads can increase pressure.

And, if I might add, get them to him quickly if you want results this year. He doesn't test during winter.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

I use fiber wads that I have soaked in lube or sometimes just dry, depending on the powder behind it. I've never noticed Circle Fly being stiff due to age. I do worry about the dry ones causing a fire with blackpowder. Hence they are only used over water or on wetter fields.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, in my limited chronographing of Longshot loads in RMC brass shells using card and fiber wads, it seems that dry fiber wads yielded lower and more erratic speeds than lubed wads. Small sample sizes, however. Have you found anything similar?

LGF #581535 10/05/20 01:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LGF
Brent, in my limited chronographing of Longshot loads in RMC brass shells using card and fiber wads, it seems that dry fiber wads yielded lower and more erratic speeds than lubed wads. Small sample sizes, however. Have you found anything similar?

I have found that when dry, they pattern really well with longshot, and birds die really well when hit. Not very objective measures however. I have not tried them lubed with that powder. I use lubed wads for blackpowder where they also seem to perform very well, but I don't have any testing numbers for that either.

My current Longshot loads that I would like to test are 30 grs of powder, a WWAA12R, Claybusters equivalent wad, a 1/2" dry fiber wad inside of that and 535-540 grs of lead or bismuth finished with a roll crimp. They work well, but I don't really know the pressure. extrapolating from Hodgdon data they should be slightly better than 1300 fps, at 6000 psi. That's very optimistic however. Too optimistic in my opinion. But I really don't know.

_________

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, last week I chronographed seven 1.25 oz bismuth loads with 33.0 gr. Longshot in Cheddite hulls with the WWAA12R Claybusters equivalent wad and fold crimp for an average speed of 1381 fps+ 42 SD. I will reduce those by a grain or two.

I also experimented with lubed vs. unlubed vs. hard fiber wads in RMC brass, using 27.5 gr. Longshot, five shots each. The lubed wads produced higher mean speed with low variance compared to both hard and dry:

Lubed: 1287 + 30.4 SD
Dry: 1032 + 162
Hard: 828 + 230

However, in a second set of experiments with the same powder charge, I got the following results:
Lubed: 1183 + 67
Hard: 1139 + 26

I try to be consistent in loading technique, but as I am wholly self taught, the inconsistency in results suggests I am not doing very well. I don't know why I got 100fps difference in the lubed wads between the two sessions, nor why the hard wads were so much more consistent the second time. The chronograph had been repaired between sessions; dunno if that might account for some of the difference.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Last edited by LGF; 10/06/20 05:09 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My success, or lack of success, loading fiber and nitro cards showed erratic velocities which gave me concerns about my chronograph. I ruled out the chronograph as being the source of inconsistent velocities by firing factory shells which had consistent velocities. My wads are Alcan Blue Streak that are bone dry, but still compressible. I've tried recipes published by BP in their short hulls brochure. Using their nitro cards and cork wads, I still had inconsistent velocities. For the time being, I'll rely on the small gas seal and Blue Streak wads which give consistent velocities. The plastic gas seal was the solution. I spoke to a tech at BP and he advised I needed at least 30 lbs. seating pressure to compress the powder. I haven't tried that suggestion. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

The question is begged... what is it that you're shooting these in?

The OP is shooting a 2 1/2" gun which I'd guess has short forcing cones and is designed for fiber wads.

Tell me you're not testing these in .741" ID Brownings.

It's remarkable that loading with traditional wads can be lost knowledge in 2 generations.

I use one piece plastic wads so don't have any experience to talk about in the fiber department except to note that BP sells an over powder gas seal (made of plastic) as a concession to the fact that available hulls today are so designed.

I did try the brass 410 shells, and the results were worse than dismal. I gave those away and chalked that up to temporary insanity.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

LGF,
Thanks for that data. It looks suspiciously like there might be a severe outlier in the first set of hard wad data. You might check the individual datums for that. Very curious stuff. I don't know what SDs should be for shotguns. BP rifles, should have SD in the single digits pretty easily and I don't see why shotguns should be any different. Unfortunately, my chrony went tits-up this summer for some reason.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in thee sixties when plastic over-powder wads and one-piece wads entered the market, the published recipes called for reduced powder charges due to the more efficient sealing of the plastic wads.

Just my opinion, but I should think that a given load would be pretty oblivious to the length of the shell; the only material change would be what, the lower weight of the shorter wad?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.