Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ithaca5E
Back in thee sixties when plastic over-powder wads and one-piece wads entered the market, the published recipes called for reduced powder charges due to the more efficient sealing of the plastic wads.

Just my opinion, but I should think that a given load would be pretty oblivious to the length of the shell; the only material change would be what, the lower weight of the shorter wad?

Agreed. Just hard to get a crimp on a load that is 1/2" short

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, the velocity on the hard wads was all over the place the first time:

With a mess like that, dunno what I would call an outlier.

And pretty consistent the second time:

I have wondered about gas seals, but people must have gotten fiber wads to work pretty consistently when they were standard.

My initial attempts to measure velocity of BP loads yielded no results, presumably due to the mass of ejecta confusing the chrono. I have built a funnel to reduce the possibility of flyers hitting the chrono (again), and will see if that helps with BP loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, I see what you mean, but that 472 fps. Hell, I can run that fast (well that's a lie, but it's not a lot faster than a compound bow).

I sure do like the patterns I was getting with my load. They have been beautiful and consistently so. They hit hard enough to kill stuff bang-flop dead most of the time, and penetration has been excellent with #5 Bi or #5 lead. Will double check them tomorrow on some woodies with luck, and maybe even a giant or two.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent a lot of time on 2 1/2 inch 16 G tried about everything. Fiber wads Roll crimps cutting 2 7/8 down, you name it I did it.

Ended up using Hodgdons 2 1/2 inch Cheddite Hull on line data. It works no fuss. Easy as loading 12 or 20.

Started with a flat of RST to obtain empties, since paid a trapper to collect RST hulls at a Tournament. 10 cents a hull one time, lifetime supply. 2 1/2 so close to 2 7/8 able to adjust the PW 375 Taper Crimp dies to crimp properly.

Prior to adjusting my PW used a Mec 600 with the short kit. Worked well, using the PW saved bench space. Buddy is loading 2 1/2 16 on the Mec now.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 10/07/20 05:34 AM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Weight of ejecta is only one factor affecting pressure. The friction of column height is another. Yes, pressure and velocity are independent, but an unplanned loss of pressure through inefficient sealing can affect a loss of velocity. In an early Lyman reloading manual it offers caveats of recommended numbers of nitro cards and column heights of fiber wads and states best vs. worst combinations. RST seems to have it figured out as some of its fiber wadded loads use only fiber wads without the nitro card. And don't get lulled into a feeling of security by using old recipes in newer paper hulls by Cheddite. These aren't your grandfather's hulls as the newer Cheddites have molded plastic bases internally as opposed to the old non plastic based hulls.

Boats, what did you use for fiber wads? Gil

GLS #581627 10/07/20 05:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fibers were from Precession Reloading. Nitro card then fiber split to make correct stack height. Over shot & roll crimped. Add cutting down 2 7/8 to 2 1/2 its a lot of work . The stacked fiber worked well its not easy like powder, shot cup, shot crimp & go.

I usually shoot 16 in a very light Parker Hammer gun. High volume, 100-125 round of clays. For me its best use low recoil shells & keep the loading simple. I use the 3/4 oz data most, load some 7/8/ for a Parker Trojan using Hodgdons loads too.

Boats

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boats
Fibers were from Precession Reloading. Nitro card then fiber split to make correct stack height.
Boats

Thanks. I've ordered a couple of bags. My current fiber wads are ancient Alcan Blue Streaks that are so hard they must have been made from wood fibers cut from fallen trees in Arizona's National Petrified Forest. I'll see if they make a difference. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are any Circle Fly wads suitable for shotshell reloading? I'm totally ignorant about the use of fiber wads in shells.

They seem to stay soft for a long time. I have a piece of a bag that I bought in Friendship, IN when shooting my "new to me" 16 ga. percussion m/l in about 1984, with Max Vickery. Couple of years ago they were still easily compressible.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I bought a bag a few years ago in 16 ga. and they were dripping wet. I had concerns about powder contamination even with a nitro card. I've wondered if they may have made for black powder muzzle loaders and I either ordered or was sent the wrong stock. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm. They must have sent prelubed wads, with something like moose milk. Mine were dry when I bought them.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.