March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I never really pay much attention to the acorn drop, but the two big trees by my driveway dropped so many acorns last year it was like driving over a bed of ball bearings, this year, I have to look hard to find any, there are precious few left in the trees...must be down about 90+%, is this a bad year all over...weather issues, or what?...must be tough on the critters that rely on them
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franc, masting, as it is called, is basically an evolutionarily selected trait to leave seed predators high and dry occasionally and thus hold down their numbers a might and prevent further specialization of the predators on that particular seed. Many nut trees and also conifers do this. HOW they do it is another thing.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Northeast Massachusetts and southern Maine have good oak mast crops this fall. The deer should be happy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Black walnuts are as rare as hens teeth this year. Red oak has heavy crop but white oak are almost bare. Red oak mast tends to be more consistent here with white oaks being up and down almost every year. I think an awful lot of deer are getting food from an automatic feeder there days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

lots o nuts here in southern nh...mostly leaf peepers from mass...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

A ton of black walnuts falling around here this year.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in Michigan's North central lower peninsula we have a huge Red oak acorn crop, for the second year running. It seems like it is raining acorns.

I cannot remember ever having 2 such large acorn crops back-to-back.

Last edited by redoak; 10/07/20 11:29 PM. Reason: clarity
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was going to post about ours ..... until I reread the title. He's interested in the rest of NH.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Franc, masting, as it is called, is basically an evolutionarily selected trait to leave seed predators high and dry occasionally and thus hold down their numbers a might and prevent further specialization of the predators on that particular seed. Many nut trees and also conifers do this. HOW they do it is another thing.

I had never heard of such a thing as the above definition of "masting". So I looked it up. Turns out, from several reliable sources, that isn't quite how it works.

https://www.britannica.com/science/mast-seeding

I didn't want folks thinking that their nut bearing trees had actually figured out a way to starve seed eating animals. I've always felt that the local or regional climate has a lot to do with nut production in any given year, just as climate during flowering and growing seasons affects production of many other crops. The fact that none of us are seeing anything that hasn't occurred before should reinforce the fact that so-called climate change is not spiraling out of control, as the hysterical anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat Chicken Littles are crying about.

The red, white, and pin oak acorns, hickory nut, and black walnut crop looks pretty good here this year. This thread reminds me that the 2nd week in October is the prime time to go out back and collect my hazel nuts, before the squirrels beat me to them.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

this year in tidewater VA the acorns are extremely small and sparse. and some trees are not producing any. Seemed like very wet spring around the farm we use for dog training.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.