March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fred,
The Portuguese Vergueiro is a nice rifle action and it will make a good project. I did consider using one of them however the Dutch came along first.
I certainly can make another Lyman 36 but I am keeping my options open. Looking at designing my own sight.
The cocking piece sights do effect lock time, however on a Dutch Mannlicher, as well as all of similar design, one thing they can not be accused of is having light weight cocking pieces. smile A small Rigby peep would have minimal effect.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am also giving thoughts to instead of a Lyman 36 receiver type sight or a cocking piece sight, but a pop up tang sight. Similar to those offered by Steyr/Mannlicher. I have pictures of them in the stock and popped up but none with the metal out of the stock. If anyone has any of just the metal out of the wood I would appreciate seeing them. If you have any and can't post pics then let me know and I will send you a PM with an email address and I can post the pics for you.
Thanks in advance.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update on the project. First I ordered a 7mm barrel from Krieger barrel with a custom light weight contour that pretty much matches what Steyr was doing when this rifle was originally made. It will be early next year before I get it. I chose 7mm as I will make it a 7 x 57 Rimmed. This case is much more available and actually fits the original bolt face and feeds well using the enbloc clips this gun was made for. BTW, I was surprised to and has made me re-think the magazine changes but time will tell.
I removed the original barrel from the action and man was that a bear. Had to make a custom action wrench jaws but the barrel did come off with significant persuasion.
I already have a nice blank for the stock so I focused on making sights. I have never made an express type sight before so this is my first and it works well. I learned a lot and some tricks and "don't do's". I may or may not use it cause I have time to make others. The hinge style on the one pictured is what I would call "american style" but the english sights used a little different method and I will try to make one like they were. They require some custom shaper type tools so I need to make them first. I won't finish fitting and polishing until further along on the project
Anyway thats were I am at and I attached a few pics:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
I am also giving thoughts to instead of a Lyman 36 receiver type sight or a cocking piece sight, but a pop up tang sight. Similar to those offered by Steyr/Mannlicher. I have pictures of them in the stock and popped up but none with the metal out of the stock. If anyone has any of just the metal out of the wood I would appreciate seeing them. If you have any and can't post pics then let me know and I will send you a PM with an email address and I can post the pics for you.
Thanks in advance.

Weren't those pop-up tang sights merely "light focusers" for sharpening the sight picture presented by the front and rear sights on the barrel, seeing as how they are not adjustable for elevation or windage?

Keenly following this project. Looking good!

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
..... seeing as how they are not adjustable for elevation or windage?

The ones I have seen are adjustable for elevation but no windage. I do not know about the actual purpose and may be as you say. But I have moved away from the tang sight idea and am again looking at traditional open sights/peep sights. As I await a barrel I have time to noodle on the project. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

great looking express sights, any good tips on how to make them, I would love to make some for some of my projects.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those sights are elevation adjustments. The whole idea of express sights was to flip up a different height blade for various distances. Some were even stamped with a distance on each blade so the shooter could estimate the distance to game, and pick the blade height he needed to hit accurately.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF, I'm not criticizing your barrel choice but want to remind all here that you can get a barrel from Douglas in two weeks. For me at 80 (in 2 wks) that's a real plus. I've used them exclusively for 25 yrs and always had fine results.

Bill Ferguson
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
great looking express sights, any good tips on how to make them, I would love to make some for some of my projects.

120 degree mill drill cuts the V shape beautifully, angle block provides the back draft.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB thanks for the picture of your fixture and cutter, it is similar to one that I will make once I have the actual sights I will use finished. Once sights have been installed on the project and test fired at 200 yards I will then measure the impact positions at 200 yards I will calculate the required sight elevation adjustments and mill the notches close, leaving just a little for fine tuning at the range. At least its the plan.

Fred,
You asked about tips and tricks and SKB has given you a good one. And it is not that exact fixture he has shown but rather jigs and fixtures in general will make the process of building these machining intense sights easier. The downside of my comment is it is easy to find yourself spending more time on tooling then actual making the product. If your only planning one offs the process can be time expensive. But being retired I have time. smile

Last edited by LRF; 10/10/20 08:03 AM.
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.