March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Dave Weber, FlyChamps, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 287 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#581753 10/09/20 02:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I live in what is typically called Northern Michigan although my location is far from rural. I'm just outside of what passes for a big city here a couple blocks from the municipal golf course.

Today I was standing in my garage with a neighbor cycling empty cartridges through a Winchester Model 100 that belongs to a hunting partner of his. I had cleaned and sighted said rifle and wanted to show him a few things I'd learned about it while shooting it.

We hear a VERY loud bang and my neighbor jumped a foot. I'm pretty sure he thought one of those cases wasn't empty!

It sounded like my neighbor at the house behind me had lit off an M-80.

We wandered out back and found a dead grouse still very warm. It had flown into a 3x4 foot window on the garage. No damage except to the bird.

That's how you hunt grouse with an automatic rifle folks.

Grouse dinner is pending!

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just returned from Northern Michigan only an hour ago. We flushed many grouse, but only connected on a few, very few...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I was pass shooting doves at the edge of a pasture in which an old bus (not a school bus) had been parked and abandoned. I was positioned 50-60 yards from the bus when I heard what sounded like a flush followed 2 seconds later by a very loud thud. Upon investigation I found a bobwhite quail with a broken neck; the bird had somehow managed to fly full throttle into the large windshield of the bus. I placed the unfortunate bird in the bag with my doves.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My son and I were headed out for a pheasant hunt when we came up behind a semi. Just as we were about to pass a rooster flushed from the ditch, started across the raod, and flew directly ibto the side of the trailer. Needless to sat we stopped and popped him in the bag.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I was riding around a friend's, named Richard, hunting club in Tensas parish next to the Mississippi river in N.E. Louisiana. I was sitting shotgun while two friends were in the back seat of Richard's Blazer. One friend was not a hunter and quite inexperienced. We were stopped while Richard was pointing out things to us. Suddenly a dove jumped up next to the driver's window and flew. Richard made a finger gun and said "bang." The dove promptly fell out of the sky.

Richard had a Doberman female that was a fantastic retriever so he told Bam, Richard was a Marine, to fetch. Bam immediately jumped out and fetched the bird. Richard, the other long time hunter and I never said a word.

No doubt the bird was wounded and made its last effort but the newbie is probably still wondering about the finger kill to this day.

If I'm lying, I'm dying.

Last edited by James Flynn; 10/09/20 04:09 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Amazing timing for this story. Was prepping a bacon-wrapped grouse dinner for the next to last night on my recent Minnesota trip. We were down one bird for the number of diners and while out on his boat walleye fishing, I'd arm-twisted my brother into donating one of his birds to the pot (he was, after all, attending the dinner as well). Upon returning to the dock, I immediately marched over to the house and found a very-mature (i.e. big!) male grey-phase laying on the ground next to the deck. The bird was still quite warm and had his crop opened up, spilling out the contents. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I immediately carried it over to the cleaning house and prepped it for the later dinner. I had thought a raptor had possibly killed it and dropped it until I went into the house and found the broken double-pane window with the smudges and faint-feather halo. We all attributed it to the ghost of my late father-in-law supplying one last grouse for the camp dinner. Brought my mother-in-law (who'd been fishing with us) to tears.

That red leaved-tree you see out the broken window is what my late father-in-law called a "nanny-berry" bush. The contents of this bird's crop were nanny berries.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/09/20 04:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming your garage floor is poured concrete, how many SOS pads and bottles of ammonia do you think it will take to get those brown greasy stains off the floor- and out of the BVD's as well, after that 7.62X51mm NATO round discharged. Wonder what that partridge might have thought in that second when his beak and brains zipped out of his bunghole?? Wowie.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Down at the southern sxs a few years ago I left the hotel the on Sunday morning early planning a final tour around the grounds and heading back up north to Virginia. traveling through a wooded area I spotted a turkey flying toward the road. it flew into the side of my suv and then back into the woods. I stopped about a quarter mile down the road and inspected the truck which was OK and thought to myself that bird probably won't make it. so I went back to about where the bird hit me and let my dog out. she found the bird about 100 yards away and it looked Un damaged. I called the dept of wildlife and they told me to just through it by the roadside. I had a big cooler full of ice and some trash bags so into the cooler it went. it was the only turkey I killed that year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gro tesk tread...

the horror, the absolute horror...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
We all attributed it to the ghost of my late father-in-law supplying one last grouse for the camp dinner. Brought my mother-in-law (who'd been fishing with us) to tears.

Ha.

Funny you should mention that. The rifle in the story was inherited by the young fellow who now owns it and apparently he has about zero mechanical aptitude. He put a different scope on it. My assigned task was to make it shoot. I had some success. Neighbor commented.. "Uncle Larry sent you a bird for your efforts". Of course I don't believe in such stuff... do I?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.