May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, dblgnfix, Hammergun, eightbore, Mike Harrell, Roundsworth), 251 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,350
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, so much for that never fire the gun without the bronze friction piece. I was told the same thing at a good gunsmith store. I wanted to fire 3/4oz loads in it and was told they're too light. Well, no friction piece or spacer/washer, just the spring, and it works great. The forearm hasn't cracked. Same with my buddies auto-5. Just a spring. It all depends on how much recoil there is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guns should never be fired without the friction piece.

It acts as a velocity damper on the return to battery stroke.

Without it, it's a matter of time before the stock will crack.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a 32" Mag that I shoot SC's with for grins.
I Installed a standard spring and friction ring kit from Midwest Gun Works and it works like a dream with target loads.
The Xtra Full turkey choke I use is fun for goofing around. The only gun I've ever smoked half a target with. I had to install a stick on comb riser, otherwise too low for me.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 10/15/20 03:38 PM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good answers- any concerns about salt wood on the pre-Jap made A-5's-- The lightweight A-5 (yeah, like a M-1 Garand is a "lightweight" weapon- has the older reddish stained wood and rounded bottom pg== the 3' Mag has the later blonde stained wood and still a round grip knob. Both have Ventilated ribs, about 85% wood and blue on the lightweight, 90% on the 3-incher..

Love to visit Gun Broker in the A-5 sections- over half of the sellers listing the A-5's misspell it as Belgain-- proper spelling is Belgium, this-yields Belgian-- Reminds me of the great movie "Murder By Death" where James Cocoa tells Peter Falk- "I'm a Belgie, not a Frenchie". RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Gentlemen:

I hope the virus are not affecting (too much) your lifes!
I also hope and pray that an end of the pandemia is near.

I wrote because I have an advise for long recoil operating shotgun owners: to avoid damage to the forend due to the slam the barrel produces when it return to the normal position, I put a hard rubber gasket (the type used for water conections) once you install the barrel and prior to instal the forend. This rubber gasket dampens the knok at the end of the cycle, seems that enough to avoid craks in the forend, a common problem in this type of shotguns. The gasket can not be too thick or the mechanism will not "close". After some use, replace with a new one.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mil gracias, amigo del Sur in Mexico. Palabras de veritas para las escopetas hechan de Sr. Juan Browning. Usted es un cazador, si como mio? Muy buena suerta-- Sr. Zorro

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not saying they didn't exist but i've never owned - nor seen - an auto-5 with salt wood. but, every A5 i ever had was stocked in French walnut and it was the CA Claro that was cured in salt.

The only 3" mag i had was a very early gun with the dual recoil springs, one wound inside the other- essentially screwed together. that one, i removed one of the springs in spite of all the internet experts who've probably never even seen one telling me it was a bad idea. that one with just the one spring worked flawless with 2-3/4" shells and the rings set just like for a 2-3/4" gun, although it worked very slowly on the return stroke. But recoil was incredibly gentle. I know i ran some 1oz reloads that i'd put together for old British doubles. it was really slow, but worked.

the later guns with the single recoil spring, i don't know. My dad's had a magnum 20 since '69 or '70 and with the rings set per instructions for 2-3/4 inch shells it's likewise never malfunctioned. never. I'd assume Browning made 12's just as good as they did 20's.

BTW, on the old dual spring 12's, anybody who can't separate and re-join the springs doesn't need to be handling things like shotguns.

Roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually remember being with him the day my dad bought that. he went to a big gun shop in either college park or, i think, east point GA. the sales guy there told him you couldn't shoot anything but 3" mag's in one and he didn't want that. we ended up later at the old Barnes Hardware in Mableton - back when hardware stores could sell Brownings and be competitive - and the guy there said that was bull and showed him how to set the rings so he just bought it there.

I think i was with him when he bought nearly every gun he ever owned, excepting the ones i gave him.

Roger

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Those are good memories, Roger.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. Paul

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.