March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, ksauers1, mel5141, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 809 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#582139 10/16/20 01:41 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Most of us have owned barrels that had holes put in them that should never have been there. What is the best approach now for making them go away?

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Most of us have owned barrels that had holes put in them that should never have been there. What is the best approach now for making them go away?

If you are talking about screw holes in the rib, then fill them with blank screws sized to fit. If it is holes in the barrels, like porting, they may can be filled but rust holes in the thin part of the barrel would mean sleeving to me...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, George. I should have said it's rifle barrels I'm discussing here. The holes are for sights or scope blocks.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, George. I should have said it's rifle barrels I'm discussing here. The holes are for sights or scope blocks.

Blank screws then. Several of mine have them...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blank screws then. I guess you could then weld over them but that seems like overkill to me...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, but I don't want to just fill them; I want them to disapppear.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
The best way I have found is to drill a shallow depression( similar to counterbore) with a #28 drill, turn a 6-48 screw/w loctite in, let the loctite set up and cut the head off above the surface and peen the screw tightly into the counterbore; then file flush, polish to match. and blue to match. If you don't drill it( assuming a 6-48 hole), where the thread angle meets the surface will leave a small blemish. This is best for me, because I'm not the best welder in the world, and it leaves a smaller area to re-finish anyway.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 10/16/20 06:53 PM.
Der Ami #582164 10/16/20 04:01 PM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I use the same method as Mike when I do not weld them, works well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had some holes welded. Some are better than others. The best are truely invisible and it takes a magician to do it so that the holes do not reappear when blued or cased.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a damaged factory rear sight dovetail made to disappear on a customized Savage 3B .22
No welding, just simple tools and techniques.

I cut the filler block a bit small for the dovetail here. But left it plenty high enough. Initial hammering it into shape peened it into the dovetail. Then the excess was coarse filed away before the final peening was done to lock it tightly in place.
That small divot on one edge was left there, slightly deepened and dovetailed with chisels. The swaging process expands the filler block into that area to take care of it.
That's a usable technique when filling an odd shaped area. Push the filler plug around to fill the void instead of trying to make a plug to fit the odd shape of the void to begin with.

Filler expanded and peened solidly in place. Most of the excess filed off. Some left in place for final swaging.

Final swaging into place and rough shape before filing to shape and polishing. This is done with rapid hammer taps and not heavy blows of the hammer. Nothing is distorted on the bbl.
I use a 2oz ball peen hammer, my 'do everything' bench hammer for the work using a few different size flat nose punches.
Sometimes I use a slightly heavier hammer for the first few strikes to 'set' a piece into place.

Finish filed and I think about a 220polish to the area. The rest of the bbl was later polished, some engraving done and the bbl rust blued.

Welding was always hit and miss. Great when it worked, miserable when it didn't.
This is predictable. Blues over and blends in. I use it for screw holes, dovetails, heavy pits, ect.
Inlaying steel into steel is really not that difficult and that is what is done when filling heavy pit marks , dents, ect.
Cut out the bad area and dovetail the edges just like you would if inlaying gold or silver. Then inlay your piece of steel into the pocket.
You must be more careful in the fit of the inlay piece when it's steel than gold or silver.
Plus you must be extra careful when punching in down to swage it into place you absolutely don't hit the base metal,,just the plug. It takes a lot more force to swage the steel into place than gold or silver. Any misplaced hits onto the base metal will leave you with a lot of extra repairs to do along with the one you set out to accomplish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.