March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (arrieta2, SKB, Borderbill, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 786 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#583000 10/29/20 06:16 PM
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I PM'd a board member who live sin NH but got no response so I am asking the entire board.
Trying to find out about new Hampshire living. I am looking at moving there in a few years when I fully retire. one of my kids and her family live in Merrimack. that's too urban for me.
I really want to find a place away from population centers, that has terrain and agriculture (dairy etc) and similar to the northern Catskills that I currently live in. I want to be able to bird hunt (grouse and woodcock) and deer hunt. and shoot. I would buy a place with a decent size piece of property (at least 50 acres) in order to have my own range and clay bird area.

I can search online but I would rather get it straight from someone who is a shooter.
anything anyone can offer as far as insight would be appreciated.
only other things would be that I would like to be no more than 90 minutes from a VA hospital if possible

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A buddy of mine lives outside Dartmouth and moved there from the Finger Lakes region of NY. He is not a bird hunter but if you like I can put you in touch with him.

Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pittsburg, NH. A hunter, fisher, shooter friendly region. Out of the way and very friendly, low Real estate taxeswhen compared to NY, No sales or state income taxes, few urbanites from Boston, Dartmouth, Vermont, etc., Low population, deer, bears, and coyotes. No traffic, plenty of sleds and ATVs. A bit colder than the Catskills, similar to the Adirondacks, not suited for dairy, hospital In
Colebrook, not sure about VA, 25 miles away.

Last edited by susjwp; 10/29/20 10:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

no real bird huntin left in nh...

go west, far west of the mississippi...

like where wa, id and mt come together...

spokane is a nice place...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno if ed is trying to keep you away, or if he really is ignorant about game bird populations in NH. But, a quick look turned up this website.

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/hunting/birds.html
and
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/hunting/small-game-outlook.html.

Two quick quotes from the site .....

"Ruffed grouse were the most sought-after small game species in New Hampshire, accounting for 62% of hunter-hours in 2019. Although most abundant in northern forests, good numbers exist throughout the state."

"New Hampshire's grouse and woodcock populations are abundant and healthy."

Just sayin' SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish my old fly-fishing and high-end tackle dealer was still with us- the late Bill Hunter- a NH native son-like Stan Bogdan--Recall from Corey Ford and Bill Tappley an area named "Center Ossipee" as being a good productive bird hunting area.. Thanks for your service, and I hope trips to an area VA hospital find you and yours in great good health. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, if you believe nh fish & game bs, den i got two bridges fur sale, both in manhattan...and both are toll bridges...

first one is over the hudson river and has toll payin traffic comin in from jersey...

de udder one is over the east river an has toll payin traffic comin in from brooklyn...

as i am liquidatin the last of my income producing assets, i will let you have one or both of the fine bridges fur ah reel bar gan price...

pm me for details now, as i have other buyers who are pressing me to make ah deal wid dem...

Sidelock
Sidelock

foxie,an udders, wanna know about the glory days of grouse shooting in new england?

read william harnden foster...

or burt spiller...

Last edited by ed good; 10/30/20 05:52 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian,
If you want to find out about hunting/fishing in NH, watch "North Woods Law" on "Animal Planet".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian - Good advise from RWTF as the Ossippe area is not only a good hunting area (deer, birds) but is a lovely area as well. Gets a little crowded in No. Conway in season but not a big deal. We have a camp on Ossippee lake and very much enjoy the area. Prices are going up as out of staters are looking for a safe haven from the Covid. Short hop to the seacoast and to the Big Woods up North.
Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.