March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 640 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,406
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been looking for a left-handed and light, utilitarian rife for deer hunting out here for some time. My choices for the last few years have been limited to the big Weatherby magnum I use for elk or my great-granddaddy's 1886 Winchester (in .33WCF). Both do the job but neither are a great fit for most of the deer hunting circumstances I encounter out here. Enter the Ruger American. I normally don't have much time for plastic anything but progress marches on and I can see a few advantages in some applications (light weight & impervious to all but severe misuse). I also am drawn to a good value (as always...frugal to the end!) and the Ruger seems to be able to offer that as well. Can anybody here offer some insight? This ones chambered in .308 (which I now seem to have plenty of).

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's difficult to beat a Ruger in their price range. I have several Ruger rifles and revolvers and they are extremely accurate and durable. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an American in 300 Blackout. shoots great. A bud of mine has a number of Amercians and everyone he has shoots sub moa with factory ammo. hard to beat.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, I've been thinking of a Ruger American in 300 blackout for while. I had read that there were some issues with early production models, but that was corrected. Have you ever had any issues with your?

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brian, I'd be interested as well. I've done all the pertinent YouTube videos & reviews on the subject and bought the gun (no sense waiting on any firearms you might want now, eh?). Just waiting on the usual process that gets it to my FFL. I've read/heard good things about the trigger and the accuracy, but also about some complaints regarding the smoothness of the bolt and even some mild-gripes about it somehow unlatching from battery(?) and...even the fit and/or excessive flexibility of the stock (both of those complaints seemed a bit spurious to me). There's clearly been a flurry of activity in the local shops and obtaining it here in Denver simply wasn't possible (a big run on guns here lately it would seem). There were cheaper (& way-more expensive) LH options but...this one seemed to strike the best balance in my mind.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/11/20 04:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was really considering one of their 6.5 creedmoors. I’m just not much of a big game hunter, but I did try one with a factory muzzle brake that I can just about hold the scope on target a pretty good way out. Accurate and a great value, except for the recent run. We’ll see.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked at the Ruger American a few years ago when I wanted a new .308 pig rifle to replace my heavy FN .270. Talked to a couple guys who worked at the LGS and owned RAs. They had very favorable reports about the RA for both function and accuracy. Did not buy anything, stuck with the .270, even though I wanted a lighter rifle with a short action.

A friend just bought a new rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, and that one did replace his .270. New rifle is a Savage 110 with the Accu Trigger. He did a lot of research before he bought that one. Don't know if the Savage comes in LH.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What does the 6.5 Creedmore most closely compare with?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is somewhat similar to the 260 Remington, a necked down 308 with less taper. The case is a little shorter, generically it can package heavy for caliber bullets in a short length action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.