Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I said in the original posting, I am changing the rifle to 7x57 R from the 6.5x53 R. Wanting to do that of course could mean issues with the magazine system and feeding. Early on I made up some dummy 7mm cartridges and tested to see if they would fit and feed. Imagine my joy to find out it would work without major issues. So I didn't need to develop a new mag box. One of the things I did not like about the original Dutch Mannlicher was the trigger bow. To say the least it was BIG. And was not conducive to adding double set triggers. There was lots of room inside the bow but not in back for the set trigger. So I have attached a mock up picture of my modified mag box with double set triggers and a new trigger bow. The space between the front of the new T bow and the back of the mag box allows for access to the cartridge clip release button, so that works nicely IMO.

The design process is one of the more enjoyable parts of any project! smile

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
It's a bit more than that. Just like a slide rule is a bit more than a generic yardstick.

No, not really, a venier scale device is just a measurement method/device, but a slide ruler ain't no yardstick and you can't measure anything with it. A slide ruler would be more akin to a generic scientific calculator. In fact it was until HP started building calculators and ended the need for them. I haven't used one in more then 50 years, but I think I still have one in my office desk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay. If ya got all the answers, I guess you are good to go. I've seen too many homemade and even some commercial sights that were nicely made except for being wrongly calibrated.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Apparently you missed this statement in my earlier posting, "It will be final finished and elevation and windage hash marks added after testing."
Defined, "elevation and windage hash marks", ie: the venier scales.
And "after testing", means shooting the rifle on the range at known distances so as to calibrate the markings to actual

I hope that answers your question

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Origin of the DST's, Lynn?

When you disassemble the sight for finishing would it be possible to see how you designed the cam/spring arrangement for the pivoting post? Thanks.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The double set triggers are NOS sold by Brownells. They were typically used on Mausers. I have them so decided to use instead of making from scratch.

Yes to your second question

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
Origin of the DST's, Lynn?

When you disassemble the sight for finishing would it be possible to see how you designed the cam/spring arrangement for the pivoting post? Thanks.

Gary, here is a picture of the set triggers all inlet into the rifle bottom metal and cross pinned.
And a picture of the peep sight internal mechanism that allows the swing arm to move out of the way of the bolt handle and return to battery position. Its just a camming action, however the way I do it to cut the diameter of the cam surface a little bit smaller then the shaft diameter. This means you can spin the swing arm around 360 degrees and out of the way if desired without any other retaining feature to keep it held in place. I think Lyman used an additional pin or screw to accomplish the retaining of the swing arm. I can't actual swear to that as I have actually never seen or examined a Lyman 36 other then in pictures

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice work on that sight. What a cool project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for pics, Lynn. Nice job of work. Very nice.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The trigger guard is installed. There is a claw on the top front of the guard that I silver soldered on which fits into a mortise cut in the bottom metal in front of the triggers.
Now need to get the sear to function and fire the striker when the trigger is pulled either by itself or in conjunction when the set trigger is cocked

Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.