April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (obsessed-with-doubles, LRF, Ken Nelson, Argo44, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 262 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,038
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding auction house guns: Don't forget the up to 25% auction house bump, VAT for UKers; and import fees and shipping for USA buyers which don't pay VAT. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my mind is a fact that the market for matched pairs of best quality English guns is dwindling and it has been that way for years.

The discussion is the value that a shooter or two shooters could have in buying THE pair of Purdey's specifically at the Morphy auction as I outlined.

$18,000.00 is not much money this day and time when the asking price on a high end F-150 is $75,000.00.

Last edited by bushveld; 11/22/20 04:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quality will always have a market. But average condition, used box locks just seem to have little market these days. It comes down to who is buying and what they want. It is O/U there and O/U or semi autos here. I suspect it is the same thing here on handguns, wheel guns or out of fashion while semi autos are the rage with young shooters.

Markets change, needs change, taste change, what does not change is the seller wants more and the buyer want to pay less. Anyone who bought guns as an investments has seen most of his profits go up in smoke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a newer double gun collector, I am very happy to see low prices. The lower, the better. When buying, its great to buy when the market for anything is down. Sell when the market is hot. Or, keep your assets for too long and grumble about low prices. As someone in mostly buying mode, I would very much like for the market to continue going down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch
A David McKay Brown round action ,side by side and over and under, and a MacNaughton bar in wood ordered from John Dickson would be a nice mix of practical and elegant.

We have a winner!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
If I am to believe what I am seeing with English Best gun prices the ones I own has decreased in value by at least 25%.
That is a hard pill to swallow.

It is hard to say this without coming across as callous, and I don't mean to Mike, but did you really expect otherwise, going in? If so, wasn't that expectation a bit unrealistic?

I have a rather large amalgamation of doubles. I never bought a one of them with any thought as to what they would be worth if, and when, I decide I don't want them anymore. I bought them to use, and enjoy.

This is not unlike watching interest rates. Those who have lots of cash invested bemoan low rates. Those who borrow to leverage those funds into other investments, like land, love low interest. In comparison some, who bought in with the "investment attitude", and who are reaching their "winter" in life, and own Bosses and Woodwards bemoan the doublegun market. Those who are hoping to buy their first one watch with eager anticipation. I'm pretty much nonchalant.

Best to you, SRH

Stan, while I think you have rather more doubles than I, you seem to approach things as I do. I feel like I never really have a dog in this fight. And I won't care when I'm dead. I don't and won't have a wife to look after, my child won't need my help at that point and if it all goes perfectly, I'll give them all away the day before I die.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bravo Messieurs. Exactly the sentiment here. Don't love anything that can't love you back. I shoot my guns...and they still are nice to look at.

There's nothing more depressing than going to an estate sale and finding scuba gear unused for 25 years, old golf clubs (mind I'm still hitting my 1989 Ping-eye beryllium-copper irons today), 1960's law books, etc. Weeding should be a pre-requisite as we get on ... I gave up on collecting years ago when I disposed of my BSA Gold-Star DBD-34 single 500cc parts and frames. But I do have far too many 19th century books on Central Asia.

I remember a few years ago emptying out my Father's house....I had to give the drill press to charity....darn it...I could have used that had Dad given it to me a couple of years before...I didn't have the transportation to get it back to DC.

Still.... SxS's are pass for the moment. But they are just so beautiful....my Daughter-in-law cannot let go of her 16 gauge Gerest-Berthon - that there will always be an art-form niche for them.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

USA auction prices on good side by sides are still more than we would pay. Unfortunately for the sellers, the difference between "more than we would pay" and what the sellers receive is approaching fifty percent, if all expenses are added in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to hear some feedback on my one comment. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Bravo Messieurs. Exactly the sentiment here. Don't love anything that can't love you back. I shoot my guns...and they still are nice to look at.

There's nothing more depressing than going to an estate sale and finding scuba gear unused for 25 years, old golf clubs (mind I'm still hitting my 1989 Ping-eye beryllium-copper irons today), 1960's law books, etc. Weeding should be a pre-requisite as we get on ... I gave up on collecting years ago when I disposed of my BSA Gold-Star DBD-34 single 500cc parts and frames. But I do have far too many 19th century books on Central Asia.

I remember a few years ago emptying out my Father's house....I had to give the drill press to charity....darn it...I could have used that had Dad given it to me a couple of years before...I didn't have the transportation to get it back to DC.

Still.... SxS's are pass for the moment. But they are just so beautiful....my Daughter-in-law cannot let go of her 16 gauge Gerest-Berthon - that there will always be an art-form niche for them.

Gene, don't feel bad. I still use my beryllium-copper Ram irons I pulled out of stock in 1989 (I was in the golf business....Canadian distributor for Ram at the time). The fact they are more that 30 years old is not part of why my scores are what they are. LOL

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.