April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (9372, 1 invisible), 154 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,704
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

New member here and a little about me:
Im 50 years old
Im and Engineer
My hobbies are hunting, fishing, spearfishing, shooting (USPSA and 3Gun)
I have been reloading since I was about 12 years old. My Dad always reloaded for shotgun since before I was born. I got us started in metallic rifle and pistol around 1991. I have dies and components for probably 50 or more calibers including 12, 20 and 410 shotshell.
Just giving a little bio so you know who you are speaking to and can adjust your responses accordingly.

One subject that I dont know much about is vintage double guns. So Im looking for some direction from you guys.

Reason for this post is I want to purchases a vintage American double barrel. Here is a list of what Im looking for and what the gun will be used for.

1) Good shooterthis gun will be used for squirrel and rabbit hunting here in south Louisiana. Maybe some duck hunting with 2.5 light bismuth loads or similar. Quail and any other wing shooting that I would do. I go to Kansas on occasion bow hunting and this gun would make that trip to kill a few pheasant.

2) I have decided on a 12 gauge for a few reasons, I only have two other 12 gauges, I have an excessive amount of reloading components for 12 gauge and have worked up some killer 1 oz loads of #5 to shoot thru my suppressed 870 that have a muzzle velocity of about 900 fps and crush squirrels out to 40 yards or a bit more..so I have faith that I can make light loads for the old 12 gauge that will do whatever I want. And I see they are typically much cheaper than the smaller guns.

3) I do want an American double. My granddad had an L C Smith that was shot to death. My uncle has it now but unfortunately wont give it up. I have looked at the Fox, L.C. Smith, Ithaca, Parker, Lefever, Iver Johnson, Remington 1900,. and of all of them I have found, for me the lower grade Fox seem to be more appealing visually speaking. They are all works or art when you get up into the high grades but of the guns I have looked at Fox is leading in the low grade guns.

4) I would prefer a gun that was original and not re-finished or restored but thats not a deal breaker. As long as it looks original. Most important is mechanical condition. And second is what the gun is choked for and third would be looks. I would like a gun on the lighter side 7.5# or less. As chokes go I believe an IC / Full would be perfect for what I will do with the gun. I have seen a few of those. Second choice would be Mod / Full.

5) At First I was going to stay away from the Damascus guns but after reading a lot about them they are not as scary. Im looking for advice on this issue.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So what do I want to know? With the above info what guns would you select, what guns would you stay away from, what guns are easier to keep running and maybe find parts for?

Any recommendations on gunsmiths that work on these old doubles?

What are some of the best places to buy an old Double? If you know of a gun shop that you trust please share.. or what online site typically have the most to look at.

What do you guys think about shooting Damascus guns?

From my research it seems like most of these old guns have short chambers. For fold crimp what would be max shell length? For roll crimp what would be max shell length? How to interpret a chamber casting to determine max shell dimensions? I have cast a few rifles that were not marked for caliber.

And lastly gun values. For example what is a reasonable price for a field grade Ithaca Flues 12 gauge original gun with little remaining finish, mechanically sound some pitting with great bores. $600 or $1200 dollars. Its not that I will ever sell the gun after buying it but I would like to get the most gun for my money is all. I dont want to buy a plain Ithaca with my $1500 when I could have bought a higher grade Fox for the same. As far as budget I would like to keep it below $1500 if possible.

Thank you for reading thru this terribly long post. I apologize for that but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

And thanks in advance for your comments
Eddie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the forum, Eddie. Sounds like a game rich place where you live, hunt and fish.

Excellent post. Based upon it I'd recommend a Fox Sterlingworth with 28-30" barrels. No more reliable vintage doublegun exists. Only three moving parts in each lockwork. Reliable ejectors, if you like them (I do). The action rarely fails. "Reasonably" priced because so many were made and sold. And, so many were made and sold because they were such a great value, inexpensive...... but very well made.

And, I agree with you about the visual aspect. No prettier box lock was ever made, IMO.

Best wishes, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

see your private messages...re nice early sterlingworth in transit to me...

some answers to your questions:

i would go for the fox sterlingworth... there are really no classic american made doubleguns to stay away from, except for those that suffer abuse...

fox guns are easy to keep running and parts can be found or
made...

as to gunsmiths, currently utilising the services of ray simard in nh...gunter pfrommer in va and lou rotelli in ct...as a matter of interest lou is also an engineer...

places to buy are where the seller guarantees his merchandise and will make deal right for you if undisclosed major problem with gun is discovered upon receipt or limited use...

in general, damascus guns should not be fired on a regular basis...these old relics should be babied and preserved...

as for chamber length, measure with a simple feeler gauge, like the one offered by csmc and others...then purchase or load your own with appropriate length shells...avoid lengthening chambers, as that is frowned upon by some...

as to 12 ga flues values, as you describe your gun, well worn, 12 ga...guess a value of about $250...

as to what to expect to pay for a sterlingworth, as you describe...you should be able to find what you want for around a $1000...

hope this helps...

Last edited by ed good; 11/22/20 01:42 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Stan. Is there any mechanical differences between the Sterlingworth and the higher grades? Are they just as reliable?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got it Ed. Send me pics when you get it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just as reliable. The internals on a Sterlingworth are exactly like the higher grade Foxes.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Weren't Sterlingworths the ones that were kinda prone to the receivers cracking ?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Receivers or stocks at the receiver?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Weren't Sterlingworths the ones that were kinda prone to the receivers cracking ?

My question was to the x'spurtz...hopefully they will explain it to you.

I will say I don't see where I mentioned the stock.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.