April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, azgreg, canvasback, DaveB, WBLDon, 1 invisible), 682 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,756
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sometimes tease ed good for the things he says on here, but the OP might want to take a good look at the Nitro Special ed has in the For Sale section <https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=579536#Post579536>

Looks like a good gun in a little too rough condition for what he's asking, but it appears he's soliciting offers now...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If OP is going to have only one double (for now), I'd hate to see him buy a Nitro Special at any price. They are serviceable, but ugly. Get something with a little bit of style. Remember, it's not how well you shoot, it's how you look doing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

re, agreed, the early nitros may have a less than pleasing frame profile, as expressed by some here an elsewhere...sorta like the parker trojan, which some also dislike for its frame profile...some like their frame profiles similar, others like erm different...diff folks, diff strokes, ah always say...

anyhow, this aint one of those...

this, is in fact, an early ww2 era nitro special with the very pleasing and modern looking lefever a grade type frame profile...

an george, you say this gun is rough for the price...what is rough about it? wood an barrels are about 95% original, with lots of case colors left... not perfect, but if it were, one should be suspicious of a visit by the dreaded refinisher...

it saddens me to see so many fine pre war hunting guns ruined by refinish work...if it aint perfect, leave it alone... needer are you...and, old guns are becoming like old furniture...the more original the finish, the more they are valued for their originality...

i sometimes think the proper punishment for refinishing classic guns should be...well, painful, but not maiming...

Last edited by ed good; 11/23/20 12:45 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
If OP is going to have only one double (for now), I'd hate to see him buy a Nitro Special at any price. They are serviceable, but ugly. Get something with a little bit of style. Remember, it's not how well you shoot, it's how you look doing it.

Here! Here!

No time for an ugly gun.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

an of course, beauty is in the eye ov the beholder...

as in, "behold, a late 16 gauge nitro special with the very aesthetically pleasing a grade frame profile...in wonderful all original condition"...or not...

Last edited by ed good; 11/23/20 12:31 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with BrentD. One has far too little time and far too few opportunities to enjoy a day afield these days; so choose a quality gun with great lines and nicely figured wood as you'll spend many times more hours holding and "looking at" your gun than you'll ever spend actually shooting the piece. There's just something special about the personal satisfaction one derives from hunting with, and bagging one's game with a quality double gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

for eddie's benefit, tell us what is your favorite american field gun? and lets keep it to those valued at say, less than two grand these days...

mine of course, is a 16 gauge ithaca, weighing in just under six pounds...

Last edited by ed good; 11/23/20 01:44 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I sometimes tease ed good for the things he says on here, but the OP might want to take a good look at the Nitro Special ed has in the For Sale section <https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=579536#Post579536>

OP wants a 12. Ed's is a 16. End of that discussion. Please move along.

Sidelock
Sidelock

wait ah minute here sleepy joe...not so fast... why end this discussion?...this thread has evolved into much more than what eddie wants...besides, as we share more knowledge here, eddie may decide like many of us, he needs more than just one doublegun for his purposes...like maybe, three or four or a dozen or so...can neva have too many double gons...can neva know too much about doubleguns...

Last edited by ed good; 11/23/20 01:02 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

methinks ed sees fresh blood on the water and is looking for dinner.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.