April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, 1 invisible), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,431
Posts544,704
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#584682 11/20/20 08:09 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an acquaintance who had two sets of barrels sleeved at Briley for his Parkers, to 34". He convinced Briley, after Briley fitted the sleeved barrel sets to the actions, to send them back to him so that he could strike them himself until he got the "feel" he wanted. He did the filing and polishing himself, then sent them back for bluing.

Got me to thinking about a set of new 32" barrels I will have fitted to a Philly Fox action. I understand that barrel filing/striking is not for a total novice but I have done a lot of filing on delicate gun parts and even have made some parts from chunks of steel with a hacksaw and files. So, I have some experience with filing.

Is there any published literature anywhere that describes the process/procedure of barrel striking? My 32" set will be fitted to a Fox that already has a 30" original set. It'd be nice to duplicate the balance and handling by striking the 32s to match the 30s. Sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
it's not hard to learn the technique or "Engineering" involved if your task is to match the sleeves to the "hakenstuck"(?) or finish them for bluing. On the otherhand, if your task is to change the balance to get the "feel" you want; the "art" involved will be more difficult to learn. I suggest you buy a couple sets of "ragged out" barrels to practice on. Don't be afraid to grind your files to create safe edges or different shapes. Different people use different tools, but I find a couple different size Barrett files very handy. Be careful around the ribs, you can file a groove in the barrel, before you know it. Remember, they are your barrels, if you mess them up, it's none of our business.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike. I understand it's "none of your business" if I were to ruin my barrel. I hope nobody here thinks I'm the kind of man that would blame someone on here if I did.

I do, however, thank you for your suggestions about files and usage to do what I'm interested in, and the precautions.

All my best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

The use of file chalk will make cleaning your files easier and help prevent clogging of the teeth. If you have a barrel wall thickness measuring device it will be handy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mark. I've been using file chalk and file cleaners for many years. Wouldn't do fine work without them. I agree about a wall thickness measuring device, and wouldn't attempt the job without one.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

What brands and types of files are yall using for striking the barrels? I feel that my files are too aggressive as I nearly spend more time polishing the file marks out than if I just had used my abrasive paper in the first place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

hereford,

Check Mark11's comment above, pinning in the file will make "gouges" that "polishing" won't get, they may have to be filed out. Loading the file with chalk helps, otherwise you might have to clean it after every stroke. A cartridge case with the neck hammered flat is handy to remove "pins" that resist a file card or instead of the card when there are only a couple pins.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 11/22/20 07:16 PM.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know two smiths that fit 32" small bore Fox barrels in the white to existing actions. Was a ton of striking for sure. I believe your in the white barrels are number 1's and most likely the 30" barrels are number 3's. If you go to the Fox Book and look at the chart on barrel weights you can get a pretty good idea how much steel you need to get rid off. PS. If your 32" are not matted I believe Jon Hosford has the original Fox Barrel Matting machine. Good luck.

foxes rule
tut #586702 12/09/20 10:28 AM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tut
I believe Jon Hosford has the original Fox Barrel Matting machine.

Correct, Jon just did a set for me this summer.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Proper barrel striking is actually one of the harder things to do in gun making, that is to achieve concentricity and swept contour without ripples when looking down the tubes. Proper striking must be done prior to the two barrels being assembled, otherwise concentricity is mute. Ive yet to sleeve an American gun that was remotely concentric.

When were these two 34 sets done by Briley?

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.