March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 772 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't mean cutting off barrels rather sleeving entire barrel but keeping outside intact.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Exactly what I was looking for thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

When Digs wrote his article back in 2017, the writing was on the wall for Teague lining and it has since been given a decent burial by both the UK and US firms that offered it.
It was a GREAT idea, let down by the conflicts of need for lots more development capital and a very small market.
As Digs says, someone may take up the baton but with steel on the horizon, I doubt it.
If you love your damascus gun, the only option for your unusably thin walls, is sleeve (about 3k), re-barrel in steel(about 10-15k) or re-barrel with old damascus tubes (POA!).

Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks, I have two guns with damascus barrels, both have slight pitting. One even has been reproofed and the pitting had to have been there. The newer one might even be worth having a set of barrels made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is always the option of lightweight subgauge tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby, tell us what or whom we can approach for classic sleeving. I would accept a PM or a reply.

Sidelock
Sidelock

here stateside, kirk merrington does sleeving, has much expertise and many satisfied customers.

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

8b, Kirk is definitely an option, I am told that his sleeving is excellent although I have never personally seen an example. However, I have heard it said that due to pressure of work, him waiting times are long and even a rumour that he has stopped doing it.
There has been talk of other gunmaker/gunsmiths in the USA doing sleeving but I have never seen the evidence. I am happy to be proven wrong.
In the UK there are a few people still doing it within the trade although the well known names of yesteryear are now mainly gone.
Bill Blacker is one and Mike Birch another, both true barrel-makers by trade.
Digory Hadoke can apparently get it done for you through his contacts but I don't know who he uses.
I used Ladbrook & Langton for many years but due to illness and retirement, their sleeving is proceeding at glacial pace. Correction, a glacier would be rather quicker!
John Foster retired some years back.
There are a few others I could mention but I wouldn't use them if my life depended on it.
Frankly, the UK guntrade is calling out for someone doing good work at sensible cost and a few people including myself have been working on the challenges but right now it is Bill, Digs or Mike.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my knowledge in the UK John Gibbs near Bristol was doing some sleeving ,as was Nick Lucca of Watson Bros. Midland Gun services near Shrewsbury bought John Foster's sleeving tooling but I have not heard much about them .
One of the biggest problem with sleeving was sourcing tubes .I know Foster's used to buy their tubes from Italy in large numbers , 200/300 per order . Also with so few guns now being sleeved costs going up that people who have done it in the past find it no longer viable to do so .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.