March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This article by the Ol' Curmudgeon gave me pause:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hun...MoIIFzdS-1kGJtZ

JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 12/01/20 01:07 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JR,

Interesting article, and it does hit home, doesn't it?

I am 67 and I have been an ardent hunter since childhood. But I find that my desire to kill is rapidly diminishing. I still enjoy hunting, but I find myself increasingly reluctant to pull the trigger, on game both large and small.

Nice to know that I am not alone.

Thanks for posting it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still hunt for pleasure. I no longer care how many I shoot and do not consider that a measure of success. I do often just go to be with my son or a friend, to build a memory for them, or myself. When I was duck hunting last week by myself I had a mallard hen land in the decoys and enjoyed her company for several minutes. She left without me making a sound. It was a nice visit. Had she been a black duck or better yet a canvasback we might have had a different outcome. Or at least a louder one. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Due to rotator cuff surgery, I haven't hunted this fall, and I haven't really missed it all that much. The F&S piece says a lot for many of us at our age. What I do miss, as much due to the plague as to my shoulder, is seeing the landscape this time of year.Looking back, I see that " being out there",for me, turns out to have been the main point all along.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never!
Same for work, I'll stop farming and working cattle when I can't crawl into the tractor cab or grip a brand.
I'll keep hunting and shooting after that.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

The hunt isn't a hunt without the kill...

Unsuccessful hunters have been taught by liberal thinkers how it's more about the hunt than the kill...that is all bull hockey.

I lust to put my foot on a gobblers neck....

I'm not happy with a participation trophy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert Ruark once said: "Sometimes, a man comes to discover that the greatest pleasure of owning a gun is also discovering the greater pleasure of not always using it".. 50th Anniv. of Field & Stream had a great piece involving duck hunting by Ted Trueblood- "Other Values" I hunt just to be out and immerse myself in the greatness of Nature (something found in the old Swedish Lutheran Hymn: "How Great Thou Art"-- enjoying the company of my aging Black Lab, "Rommel"- and holding a well-worn Winchester or Browning shotgun- memories, and as I am 1 click away from 80, thanking the Good Lord for each and every day I get outdoors, and get back home safe & sound- empty bag and unfired shells in my coat pocket- The shotgun du jour goes back into the cabinet in my basement gun room-man cave, and later, I sleep the sleep of blessed- Covid free, debt free, ready for the next AM-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I still pull the trigger, just more selective on big game. On upland game, real stuff like grouse and woodcock, they are still a challenge so no difference. Game farm stuff is definitely less exciting but good for training dogs and young hunters. For me, that's what makes that type of hunting still enjoyable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My take on this is a little more technical.
I wear a watch that records my heartbeat 24 hours a day and I can look at what my heart rate has been doing at any moment of any day, Before, during, and after any particular experience.

I also am tasked with removing whitetail deer from a set of farms Under a USDA disease control permit.

For me the uncertainty of a point, flush, and shot Raises my heart rate. I can glow for a few minutes. Feel alive as it were.

Shooting whitetail deer doesn't do anything. There is a rise of 5-10 bpm for the duration of the shooting. That's it.
It's just a job. I have 3 spots I can choose to hit, and that's it.

I'm pretty sure in older males declining testosterone impacts the desire to hunt and kill.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From some time in my early twenties when I started getting my own dogs, I knew it was just for being there. I knew I could go to a grocery store for food. If my dogs were working well, I enjoy another hunter moving in for a flush.

The original article really lost it for me when it mentioned historical stories of hunger and food. If someone can sit back and admire the scenery, they just aren't hungry. If food is the truth about it, there is no question, but I have very rarely seen it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.