March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#585931 12/01/20 10:45 PM
battle Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I wanted to do one with a black spacer just to see the look. The spacer is 3/8 the pad I had a spare 1/2. The leather is pig skin. What do you guys think? Also what do you think of the skin color? I was curious how the lighter tone would contrast with the stock tone. Ill probably dye the leather a dark reddish brown.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A darker leather would definitely help.

I don't know what you get by using a spacer instead of a thicker pad, or cutting off less wood (more wood is always more betterer, imo). I will attempt my first leather pad after pheasant season, but I'll skip the spacer.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

battle Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Basically it was just practice. Ive done a couple of these now. I always stressed over getting the leather stretched over the pad. But have learned getting the pad shaped just right is the most difficult part. I can put a thicker covered pad on without spacer no big deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, it looks like the leather stretching went real well, but I am not a qualified critic. I definitely agree that shaping the pad correctly is the trick. I find it hard to believe some of the bubba pads I've see out there.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a pretty good job that you did considering you used pig skin without having any wrinkles. I always used goat skin. It's a lot thinner and easier to use. Usually about 1 mil thickness.

I also always used a kick ezz pad. They're really nice to work with. If I were you I would have covered the spacer. But it still looks really nice. Good job.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great first attempt, battle. I don't particularly like the covered pad with a spacer, either. The spacer detracts from the beauty of a well done pad covering, IMO.

One suggestion ..... work a little more at getting the line right on the underside of that stock spacer. It can be finish sanded some more to get the profile lines all just right.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
battle Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Great first attempt, battle. I don't particularly like the covered pad with a spacer, either. The spacer detracts from the beauty of a well done pad covering, IMO.

One suggestion ..... work a little more at getting the line right on the underside of that stock spacer. It can be finish sanded some more to get the profile lines all just right.

Best, SRH

LOL... ok boss.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: battle
I wanted to do one with a black spacer just to see the look. The spacer is 3/8 the pad I had a spare 1/2. The leather is pig skin. What do you guys think? Also what do you think of the skin color? I was curious how the lighter tone would contrast with the stock tone. Ill probably dye the leather a dark reddish brown.

That caught my eye Battle...nice job!
May I suggest "chocolate brown"?

All best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
battle Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Something like this CJ...

upload

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd hide the spacer under the leather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.