May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 1,116 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#58356 09/27/07 05:21 PM
Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have never been and did not expect to be able to go the Vintage Cup this year, but my plans recently changed and I could conceivably drive down to Pintail Point for a few hours tomorrow morning. At most I would go to check out the vendors since my only SXS is in the shop. My question is: is it worthwhile to drive a bit over two hours each way just to spend a short while checking out the vendors? Having never been, I don't really know what to expect. For what it is worth, I am not in the market for any new guns until the Christmas bonus rolls around, so I would not be doing any serious shopping. Opinions and ideas of what to expect from those who have been are appreciated.

Last edited by Newlyn1; 09/27/07 05:21 PM.
Newlyn1 #58370 09/27/07 07:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I went today and enjoyed my visit. Saw some old friends and some very nice guns. What more do you want?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not going to Pintail Point this year because I am just to busy. But I have been to the last several in Sandanona. I live only an hour and a half from there. It has always been worth it even for just a walk around for a couple of hours. There was always lots of guns and stuff to see that you would never see anywhere else. If it were close I'd find the time to go for an afternoon.

Bill G.

Bill G. #58385 09/27/07 08:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Three of us drove down from north of Philadelphia. We spent about 6 hours walking around looking at nice guns. It was well worth the almost 3 hour drive in each direction.

We saw quite a number of things worth buying, if you're in a spending mood, including a couple of Dicksons and a MacNaughton. A&S Famars is there, as is Holland & Holland. There was a Famars matched pair of hammer guns in .22 caliber - one with rifled barrels and scoped, the other smooth bored (with two sets of barrels) for .22 shot cartridges and .22 long rifle shotshells. Not on the A&S table, but on another. A magnificent Fugger engraved Griffin & Howe small frame Martini .22 in a G&H case. Lots of Parkers, L.C. Smiths, Ithacas and Foxes. Quite a few nice hammer guns. The new Purdey hammer gun at G&H. Ceasar Guerini is there with most of the line including they new single barrel trap gun. Cabela's has some nice stuff on its tables. And, I've barely scratched the surface of what's offered.

One suggestion - pack your own lunch. The only offering today was a $10 combo - either an overcooked chicken breast or a fairly measly portion of sliced roast beef on a hamburger roll, plus water or soda and a bag of chips or pretzels. Didn't hold a candle to the Sandaronna menu in prior years. Not a fruit or a vegetable to be seen. Water and soft drinks are $2/bottle or can, so putting a cooler in the car isn't a bad idea.

Newlyn1 #58502 09/28/07 05:04 PM
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I went down today, and just got home. It's a two hour drive for me. This is my first Vintage Cup, so I really can't compare it to anything else.

There are lots of guns of every make, grade, bore, etc. to be seen. The usual dealers that most of us are familiar with are there along with others not so well known and all have plenty of guns. Even if your not in the market, it's nice to see things first hand to give you a bit of an idea of what you like or may not like by seeing it first hand. Who knows, some dealers might give you a lay-away deal, Christmas is not that far away.

Course-wise, I shot the small gauge events, and if you like a lot of high and/or long distance targets, you would have had a blast. I did not shoot 12 gauge so I can't tell you what those folks had to deal with.

It was good to meet some folks I've dealt with over the net first hand: Tom Bryant from Cabela's, Ken Duglan from Atkin, Grant, & Lang, etc.

Last edited by JM; 09/28/07 06:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x

A magnificent Fugger engraved Griffin & Howe small frame Martini .22 in a G&H case.

Tell me more! Who had it and did you take some pictures?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot the 12 bore Prelem and the American Classic. Used the NID 4E trap gun , 32" full and mod, with 1 oz (the minimum shot charge that will cycle the SST reliably with light, low velocity loads) of #8 in standard and X-spreader wads. At 9#, the NID is a big gun, but, then, I'm a big guy. I felt I had an ideal set up for the course - two open choke, open and mod, or open and full. There were stations where I used each of the possible choke pairings. As of score posting tonight, I'm in second place in the Classic (41/50) and third place in the Prelem (39/50) - doubt seriously that these places will hold through tomorrow.

Carolinas Vintagers take their own food and drinks.

Vendor selection seems good. Cocktail party tonight was OK. Met Salopian - he confesses to being now well stocked with drinks. Dale Tate is plying his trade out in the open. I'll shop more seriously tomorrow. And, I have some interesting guns to spin for MOI.

I'd say it was worth it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add, Newlyn1, if you decide to shoot, find the Carolinas Vintager's "bivouac," ask for me, and you will most likely come into a shootin'iron.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Newlyn1, If you have the time GO! I traveled 4 hrs. each way today and don't regret a minute. There seemed to be about twice the amount of venders and guns, as compared to the last two events in NewYork. The atmosphere was great,everyone seemed to be enjoying there time there. I was hearing mostly positive coments from people,unlike last year. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Dave

Newlyn1 #58561 09/29/07 09:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I plan on being there this Sunday. I was going to make it today, but yesterday had long shift at work with many big "babies". Those folks wore me out.
PS. Everyone should try to make it, because one may not be here "tomorrow" to attend another gathering.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.