April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (AGS, Tom Shaffer, Chantry, SKB), 189 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,712
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bill,
I had not considered that aspect, good point! I just shoot'em.

To all the other comments, I suppose too much time thinking while setting feeding.

Stan, I had looked into the temperature range of Belzona, I would like to find some data pertaining to powder burn and such.
Do you happen to have NASA's phone number?

Last edited by AZMike; 12/09/20 12:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Belzona on many occasions repairing blast areas of guided missile launchers. this is what we used to fill in between the ablative tiles that protect the deck and blast doors and plenums its quite a job to cut out and replace after a shot. getting the bottom of the pits clean enough to make a good bond will be challenging . The Navy uses Belzona to reline centrifugal pumps when pitting becomes a problem. good luck and I am looking forward to see your results

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Belzona on many occasions repairing blast areas of guided missile launchers. this is what we used to fill in between the ablative tiles that protect the deck and blast doors and plenums its quite a job to cut out and replace after a shot. getting the bottom of the pits clean enough to make a good bond will be challenging . The Navy uses Belzona to reline centrifugal pumps when pitting becomes a problem. good luck and I am looking forward to see your results

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Mike. All my contacts at NASA have retired.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Keith, I agree it's asking epoxy to do something it was never designed to do, but since no money is riding on this discussion let's pursue it a bit for kicks and giggles.

Belzona 1511 will withstand a sustained temp of up to 392 degrees Fahrenheit. Even though the flame and gases reach much higher temps, it is only for a microsecond. That's the reason it takes repeated shots in a short time to heat up the metal.

Is it possible that the epoxy would never reach 392 itself?

And, is it not also true that the heat shielding tiles are held on the space shuttle with epoxy. They get glowing red on reentry.

Stan,
Ablative tile keeps the heat from transferring to the shuttle, it glows red in one side and can be touched on the other. Yes, glued in place.
The problem I see is you are going to have different expansion rates between steel and epoxy. That would be the end of the epoxy, along with the heat itself.
The differing expansion rate between materials is probably why nobody has successfully developed a plating process to restore old barrels.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Ted, but I'm not going to try this. I don't want to steal AZMike's thunder. wink

I just suggested the Belzona only because it is the best epoxy for steel repairs that I know of, and because I just enjoy thinking outside the box.

Best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The problem I see is you are going to have different expansion rates between steel and epoxy.

If that's a big issue, how does Belzona work so well on engine blocks, etc., in industrial applications where expansion of steel is a fact of life? I know personally of a tractor engine that has been running for several years with it in place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The problem I see is you are going to have different expansion rates between steel and epoxy.

If that's a big issue, how does Belzona work so well on engine blocks, etc., in industrial applications where expansion of steel is a fact of life? I know personally of a tractor engine that has been running for several years with it in place.

I would guess the tractor in question has a cooling system, likely liquid cooling, that keeps the expansion in the repaired area under control.

I wouldnt bet heavily on a repair in a combustion chamber, exhaust port, or turbo housing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the Belzona 1511 data sheet ........

Key technical data:
Working life at 25C (77F) 60 minutes
Pull off adhesion on grit blasted mild steel (ASTM D4541 / ISO 4624) 5180 psi (35.7 MPa) 20C/68F cure

5160 psi (35.6 MPa) 100C/212F cure

4700 psi (32.4 MPa) 160C/320F cure
Tensile shear adhesion on grit blasted mild steel (ASTM D1002) 3060 psi (21.1 MPa) 20C/68F cure & test

2780 psi (19.2 MPa) 100C/212F cure & 20C/68F test

2980 psi (20.5 MPa) 160C/320F cure & 20C/68F test
Temperature resistance 160C (320F) immersed, 210C (392F) dry
Bonds to Steel, stainless steel and other metals
Typical applications Metal repair and pit filling for equipment operating at high temperature

I'll bet the company has thought about heat expansion of the base metal.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: simcgunner

Cold Iron is the Naval Engineering term for the ships plant being shutdown and hotel services are being received from the pier. Meaning you are not out to sea anymore. I've been using that handle since I retired from the Navy 25 years ago. As a propulsion engineer.

Been doing computer systems since 1976 also with APL my first language and have been doing only IT for the last quarter century so have no idea where Belzona stands now as far as composition and application or if it has even changed. But at one time I earned the nick name Belzona King I was pretty damn good with it. And yes did repair a lot of pumps with it when out to sea with limited resources. Belzona was (and is) expensive so I kept it under lock and key.

If flanges allowed would weld and build up the metal then file and shape it back down to mate surfaces. Pump shafts, impellers etc. are different alloys and shapes and don't always allow that luxury. Belzona to the rescue. Would not use it on a 975 1200 psi system if I could help it. But was always amazed at how well it worked no matter what the application was.

Not sure I would be brave enough to use it on a gun barrel though. I too am looking forward to the results.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.