May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (LGF, Joe Wood, Jimmy W, Argo44, 1 invisible), 1,143 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,538
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade Stan. I was merely giving my opinion from the perspective of a lifetime of fixing things, and my knowledge and experience with epoxies. I'm glad Ted mentioned the thermal insulating properties of the space shuttle thermal tiles.

I'm also glad you provided the temperature and pressure tolerance data on the Belzona epoxy, which I have never used. You will note that the pressures are well below what would be encountered in the rear portion of a shotgun barrel, even though the duration would be as brief as the temperature extremes of hot powder gasses. Then you also have the added component of friction from the shot column and wad moving across your epoxy repair at 1000 fps or more, and powder residue from previous shots scoring the epoxy, which is much softer than steel. You would not encounter this in any centrifugal pump, and even those temporary repairs are not intended to equal normal pump life expectancy.

I also considered the repeated thermal expansion and contraction, and the very real possibility of separation or delamination causing a partial barrel obstruction, and resulting in a bulge or burst. Of couse, if that happened, we could always have one of those fun entertaining barrel burst analysis Threads!

Even if this experiment worked OK in the beginning, would you want to be the unsuspecting buyer of this gun several years down the road.. not knowing that you'd better check the bores after each and every shot??? And that brings me to the same thought I share with Bill Shodlatz. How many unscrupulous individuals might try to do a Bondo job on pitted barrels to sell a gun that has questionable pitted barrels?

At work, we are constantly tossing out and debating ideas. Many are shot down after a little debate and consideration of the ramifications. Some sound very good on paper, but are not at all good in practice. Some end up creating worse problems that they were intended to solve, and some are downright dangerous. Then we have the winners that make us keep trying. I think this idea is just dangerous, and best shelved permanently. In the final analysis, many guys simply worry way too much about minor pits that look much worse than they are. And some barrels reach a point where they need to be removed from service.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Forums are the table at McDonalds where the old guys get together to bull shit in the mornings.
I have an 1882 Remington with pits in the steel barrels, if I can afford the epoxy I'll try 1 barrel with gunsmith Rick Dunbar's help and very careful shooting and checking.
I have no intent to dupe anyone, that's not the way I roll.
Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas (over coffee)!

Last edited by AZMike; 12/10/20 07:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, it's fun discussing stuff like this. I have grave doubts about the efficacy of this type "repair" but if Mike's willing to give it a go I'm all ears as to the results.

I doubt if Mike, or anyone else here, would try to salvage, in this way, a barrel that was deemed unsafe because of extreme pitting. I certainly wouldn't. If it were to last for any considerable length of time it might spark an idea for a repair on something else one day down the road, that we would never have thought of otherwise.

If it doesn't last indefinitely it doesn't mean the idea was a failure. It just means that potential method/product has been eliminated by actual trial. That's often how useful discoveries happen.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

az, let us no watt appens...

Last edited by ed good; 12/10/20 08:22 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is just so much fun....

This has got to be just about the silliest crAp I've ever read on the internet.

Stanleys Belzoni Balogna epOxy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And ole E D chopping at the heels to see if it'll work to go along with his torch jobs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fire an E'poxy don't mix...

Sidelock
Sidelock

There seem to be a host of high temp cements, epoxies, and various other coatings that may very well fill in pits. Some of them may be more costly than a new gun I suppose, but perhaps several have some utility for this purpose.

http://www.sauereisen.com/ceramic-assemb...FBoCuiEQAvD_BwE

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didnt Teague stop putting liners into barrels because they had problems with the adhesive system? Not clear if the problem was as getting an even, end to end coverage, for and barrel and liner or was it the bond broke down over time? It would be interesting to try pit repair as described above. What do you really have to lose?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KyJon
Wbat do you really have to lose?

jOe's approval?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.