April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, KY Jon, Ken Nelson, SKB, buckstix, bushveld), 807 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MKB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This topic has likely been covered but I'm new to the site and can not find it. Please humor me. Your help would be greatly appresiated.

I prefer balistic tips for whitetails so I bought some 7x65R Norma Strike Tip 160GR for my Sauer combo. Its a 50's gun. Best "groups" at 100 yards were 6". Shot some Sellier & Bellot and three shot groups are maximum of an inch. On this gun I realize I'm likely religated to the S&B.

Picked up a Kriegoff 7x57 / 22 Hornet last week. I tried Nosler 140 AccuBond in the 7x57. It groups right at an inch; however, its 10" high and 5" right. Thats an easy fix.....BUT.....the Hornet is deadly acurate at 100 yards. My concern is that if I ran S&B thru it as is (with no adjustments) it might also be balls on.

Have you all been having these types of issues with the more modern ammunition?

Thanks
KB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found that velocity is the key and that is of course regulated by powder, which I am not sure which you have loaded. Also not sure why the success, but I have migrated to all VV powder when possible, & the accuracy is phenomenal on Combos across the board. Now, I had to shoot quite a bit, grain by grain to find the solution but the Combo will tell you what it fancies.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

MKB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

That all makes sense as I was a reloader for many years; however' I guess I was unclear in my post. All rounds I refered to are factory rounds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alright then, I'd check velocities with a Chrony. Or @ least check published plus verify the bore diameter.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the S&B 7X65R the SPCE 173 grain bullet? Bullet weight can also be a factor. Is there a bullet type & weight stamp on the Combo(s)?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

MKB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes the SB is 173 SPCE. Its a classic Geman pass thru bullet. Shot two 120 pound white tail does and both ran. Not far but ran. I dont want to shoot a 200 plus buck and have that result. A BT bullet would do better if I could find one that would shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure about a German pass thru bullet, but maybe a Bohemian or Czech?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ford should be along shortly, possibly with some novel ideas.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

MKB,
I have had similar experiences over the years. I bought a used drilling with a scope already mounted. On a guess, I loaded some 173 grain bullets I had brought back from Germany to about the RWS velocity. I didn't have to touch the sighting. Since the 1970s I have had an O/U 7x57R/16 ga. It was also regulated for the 173 grain bullet. I tried several combinations in it, looking for a load with a little more velocity. That gun would shoot Brenneke slugs into my hat at 100 meters if the 7mm barrel was sighted an inch and a half high and I held half way up on the vertical post of the reticle. Also bullets lighter than the 162 grain TIG shot high and right like you experienced. I believe this is due to the fast rifling twist. I just went back to factory ammo or handloads with 173 gr bullets at factory velocity. Your problem with the 7x57R is very similar to mine, but American 22 Hornet ammo is loaded to higher than European velocity. I suggest you load the 7x57R with a 170-175 gr bullet to about factory velocity and load the hornet with a 40-45 gr bullet to about 2400 fps and see if that helps. Unless your 7x65R shoots slugs as well as mine did, you don't need to worry about two different barrels shooting to different points of impact. This will free you to use whatever load is best for the rifle barrel, whether factory or a handload, you can just re-sight it to fit the ammo. I hope this helps. BTY, if you shoot them high in the shoulder( hoch blatt?) they are not as likely to run.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 12/11/20 10:00 AM.
MKB Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

That makes good sense to me Der Ami. I guess my question could certainly been more clear. I spent 3 years hunting in Germany and they like big and slow with little fragmentation as they sell the meat. Bottom like is from what I have seen and heard is that these old guns have a twist suited to the long heavy slow bullets which makes sense. My desire was to find a fragmentation bullet....not to get speed. Unfortunety the better bullets from factory are much lighter and hotter. I just ordered 2 different RSW rounds and will see how that goes.

I see you are in Alabama like me....what part?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.