March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: terc
I've always thought chrome lining might be a solution to this problem. I don't know much about the process. If it was feasible it would already, probably, be being done. Any thoughts ?

Sure. Hard chrome plating the inside of pitted shotgun bores would involve first machining out the pitting, as was done in the case of the high dollar aircraft struts mentioned above. You cannot fill in pits with plating, and get a smooth surface. Then the bores would be nickel plated, followed by a hard chrome plating of not more than .005". Going any thicker would lead to problems with the chrome surface, which is much more brittle than steel. I can't imagine that .003" to .005" of chrome plating will make the barrels any stronger, especially if you honed out that much or more prior to plating them.

I have no idea how this would be accomplished on an intact set of double shotgun barrels, i.e., how this could be done without plating the outside or affecting rib solder joints, etc. This may have been economically viable on high dollar aircraft struts, to prevent future internal corrosion, but likely wouldn't make any sense whatsoever on a set of old pitted shotgun barrels, unless the gun was rare and very valuable. Anyone want to speculate what sort of valuation hit a Parker A-1 Special or Lefever Optimus grade would take if you chrome lined the bores???

The idea that any currently available epoxy as a bore lining would have merit would be quickly dashed by simply taking a sample of the epoxy and comparing the surface hardness to the hardness of typical shotgun barrel steel. Then compare all of the other attributes of steel that make it the universal choice for gun barrels. It is wishful thinking to believe that an epoxy lined bore in a shotgun barrel would last, given the temperatures, pressures, and friction involved. Even when these materials are used to repair pitted surfaces in a cavitating centrifugal pump, for example, the repair is regarded as a temporary fix until a replacement can be acquired.

If I'm going to dream about something, I'll dream about winning the Powerball Lottery Jackpot, and then buying a really nice shotgun without pitted barrels.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was an outfix in Charlestown, IL that crome plates barrel i.d."s. The first coat was copper to provide a base for the chrome to stick to. Perhaps that base coat could be applied heavy and the hone to hid the pits?

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I couldn’t care less about a pitted barrel unless they’re extreme. Small ones have virtually no weakening effect on strength or performance. With proper cleaning, modern powders, primers, and plastic shot cups pits are not going to grow. When buying a real vintage gun I tend to run backward (long experience) when a seller says the bores are perfect without a single blemish. Bells ring all over and I hear “honed”! Now I have to worry about wall thickness, quality of honing, and all sorts of stuff. Give me a frosted barrel anytime over a perfect bore.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

watt joe said...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only currently available technique I hold out hope for is some form of spray welding to restore the barrel's interior to solid, uniform steel.

Tubing/sleeving into the breech of a gun is very viable, esp. with TIG welding. But, properly done, it isn't inexpensive. There is a fairly broad range of guns that can get a "second run" via this technique at a reasonable return on the cost. Bottom of the heap guns are best consigned to a comfortable place on a wall or over the mantle. Top of the heap guns should have new barrels, spankin' new from a time served barrel maker.

Chrome plating is common for extra runs of aircraft engine cylinders. I don't discount an adaptation to gun barrel repair.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 12/14/20 12:34 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
The only currently available technique I hold out hope for is some form of spray welding to restore the barrel's interior to solid, uniform steel.

I know of no currently available spray welding process that could be used inside even an 8 gauge bore. 12 gauge or smaller would be out of the question. I've seen a couple different spray welding processes in use, and the size of the equipment, and the requirement that the arc or plasma spray be applied perpendicular to the surface being repaired, would preclude filling even one pit inside a barrel, let alone lining and restoring an entire bore.

Spray welding isn't even used to build up and resurface worn out ways on lathes, because it will delaminate at the thin edges when surface ground or scraped. The molten metal droplets spread out and stick to the surface, and to each other. But there is not the same type of fusion to the base metal as in other welding processes where the base metal is actually melted.

Then there is the little problem of the heat generated during the process. Even the lower temperature arc and combustible gas processes would heat the barrels hotter than the melting point of the solder used to join double barrels. The plasma spray process, which would give much better adhesion and a more uniform surface, is much hotter than that.

Maybe someone will someday miniaturize spray welding equipment to the point that it could fit inside a long small diameter tube such as a shotgun barrel. And maybe someone will also develop a process to inexpensively 3-D print a new set of barrels that would perform safely. Right now, both ideas are nothing more than dreams in the distant future.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.