March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (WBLDon, jake van dyke, MattH, Mills, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 843 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Army and Navy stores sold guns under their name but did not present themselves as gunmakers. Evans uses the description gunmaker for their business. Is there any proof that Evans actually built guns in their own workshops? Did they have a workshop?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover

The Army and Navy stores sold guns under their name but did not present themselves as gunmakers. Evans uses the description gunmaker for their business. Is there any proof that Evans actually built guns in their own workshops? Did they have a workshop?

I think Army and Navy stores were a cooperative that were not confined solely to trading in guns ,that may explain the lack of the term gunmakers in their title.
Edit to add Army and Navy stores were bought over by House of Fraser, information on specific guns sold I believe is now held at Glasgow University.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 12/16/20 09:44 AM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

In this line we discussed a 20 ga William Evans, made in 1902, given to my wife by MGen D.K. Palit in India.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=475388&page=all

I called William Evans several times. The records are extensive. - who ordered what and when. I asked specifically what factories made those guns. I never got a reply.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
He did not build guns but contracted with the trade to have guns built in his name, same business model as W.J. Jeffery used.

Same as most of the British trade.......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Imperdix,
That is a very cruel and inaccurate comment!
Most of the British Guntrade did have factories or workshops , but of course it is a product that relied on the skills of many outworkers if you happened to be a small manufacturer.William Evans should be congratulated on being able to open the wallets of many gullible individuals. Some years ago I loaded for an American who kept his gun at William Evans in London to save flying it back and forth . William Evans Ltd looked after his guns and needs . The Gent shot extremely well on very high Welsh Pheasants despite his gun not having any multichokes fitted because William Evans had forgot to fit them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were gun makers and gun Masters . A Gun Master ran a company that had very small " in house " workshops but used many trade out workers and jobbers .William Evans , would have been a gun Master
They commissioned guns from larger makers to be made to their specifications both for stock and individual orders . As they had the guns made to order using subcontractors it was considered to be that they were the gunmaker .
How many items do we have in our home with a branded name that in fact were made in some factory in China for example ?
Up until the mid 70's in the UK with the introduced the Trade Descriptions Act , to prevent people claiming to be " maker " unless they had done a certain percentage of the work themselves , in an effort to prevent cheap imported goods being passed of as British made .
As a result for example ,guns then made by W & S for the likes of Dickson , Cogswell etc. had to be marked as " Made for " or similar , usualy on the rib but the action and tubes would have only the name of the " maker " .

eeb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. It seems the lines are very blurry between gunmakers and gunmasters (never heard that term before). Seems like all the names portrayed themselves as gunmakers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

`Economic with the truth` would describe many trades in years gone by......and still does in some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
In this line we discussed a 20 ga William Evans, made in 1902, given to my wife by MGen D.K. Palit in India.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=475388&page=all

I called William Evans several times. The records are extensive. - who ordered what and when. I asked specifically what factories made those guns. I never got a reply.

I did not see in that earlier thread where you ever finally unbent and rebutted the gun. What was the final solution?

My latest Cashmore has about the same amount of cast off. In looking at the lower tang, I'm quite certain that it was bent after leaving the factory.

Last edited by BrentD; 12/18/20 10:11 AM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

We haven't touched it Brent. My wife doesn't shoot anymore. If I were to take off the extension it would be too short for me or my son, to whom she gave the gun. It is a bit too long but shootable with the cast off. So he's kept it as it was given to us. He may at some point in the future decide to work on it but for now it is as it was.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.